A charge back through paypal for stolen credit card, totally confused, help..

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have just had a chargeback from a credit card company saying that the buyer said she did not authorise use of her credit card. How is that possible when all the passwords she would of gone through to purchase it, How can you say you did not purchase something through ebay and pay by paypal? 

.What do I need to do? She paid through PayPal.  

Message 1 of 28
Latest reply
27 REPLIES 27

Re: A charge back through paypal for stolen credit card, totally confused, help..

@black*poppy wrote:

I guess I have a sense of disbelief about this and I'm even more suprised it's never come up before.... 

I've actually brought it up several times in these forums, because for my money, fraud is most likely to be committed by people who don't log into PP accounts (based on my own presumptions about the use of stolen credit cards, where I assume said theifs would not create and maintain verified PP accounts with which to conduct their activities, so it's not based on personal experience), so when it was introduced, I figured it was tantamount to ceasing genuine seller protection against fraud.

Unfortunately, all the times I've mentioned it, it appeared members have been too ticked off about other things that eBay or PayPal were doing to get ticked off about one other thing. o_O

Message 21 of 28
Latest reply

Re: A charge back through paypal for stolen credit card, totally confused, help..

I think I'm more disturbed about this than the Seller release...

I know the difference between the email headers you mentioned and the latter one is very rare, I can only recall two or three in a couple of years.

When I get another one, I'm going to call Paypal about it and I will report the findings on here.

Not that I don't believe you, it's just... well... not possible to defend.  I feel totally undermined.
Message 22 of 28
Latest reply

It bothers me a great deal, too - I'm in the process of building a website where, at this stage, I want to offer PayPal, but with this kind of policy in place I wouldn't mind being able to ensure that I can block PayPal guest checkout payments, and AFAIK, I can't - I can make it so that I only receive credit card-backed payments, though (cheers, PP, lol).

I know I could make it so that people have to create a site account in order to shop, but it's not the same thing - at least with a merchant account and direct CC payments, you can cross reference a few details like cardholder name and delivery name etc (not that that's fool-proof), but with a PayPal payment you're a bit more in the dark. 

Message 23 of 28
Latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

It is disturbing and although this is just an 10.00 item it could of been worst, just another form of shoplifting but I still cant believe someone would go to so much effort and steal a credit card and use it for a 10.00 skirt? Thank you for the info, I really appreciate it.

Message 24 of 28
Latest reply

@black*poppy wrote:

How do you make a paypal payment without going through paypal? 

Like this Poppy. Instead of logging in, you can click the link at the bottom and enter your credit card details. You need the 3 digit number on the back too. I used this method for ages before I created a PayPal account.

paypal1.jpg

Message 25 of 28
Latest reply

Cheers for that Ghost and Sheep (yes I did check which avatar!)  I've never clocked that option before or what it meant.  And now to understand the ramifications.

You know, I was never the paypal cheer squad but I did think that one of good things to come out of the 180 protection policy is that it would prevent (some) chargebacks because ppl could go directly back to paypal rather than through the CC provider.  So less or no expensive chargeback fees.

All bs afterall.

Message 26 of 28
Latest reply

Yep just got one... , $400..soo unhappy..paypal sooo dodgy. Looks like any dodgy creditcard info can b used to pay via paypal n u lose the lot. N cant block buyers unless below 0 feedback n cant block buyers using paypal without paypal account.
Message 27 of 28
Latest reply

Just had to drag up an old thread too?

What nobody seems to have mentioned is the case where the buyer has gone over their credit limit and the card providor has initiated the chargeback.

Apart from that, the remedies are set out in the MANY posts already made on this thread, so try whichever ones you feel might help your case. Assuming you read the thread and were looking for a solution.

You could have done that without dragging up the thread, though.

Message 28 of 28
Latest reply