A whole new level of buyer stupidity...

OK - to set the story up: I collect vintage car number plates (amongst other things!), specifically Victorian ones between 1953 and 1977. As with most collectibles, someone will put up a batch of ten items, which I purchase in order to get the one item I actually need. The rest of the batch go straight back up on Ebay...

Perfectly legal to collect, buy, sell, and trade these, by the way (subject to a few simple conditions, which are no hassle).

So, a guy bought one (yay!!). I was just about to write the address on the package when I noticed he'd left me a note. I clicked on it, and couldn't believe what I read.

This is the plate he bought:

QRQ.jpg

The note said that he wanted the plate to read AJW-384 instead... Seriously.

Now, I'm not sure if the guy is just genuinely dumb and has mis-read the ad thinking that I offer a service reproducing number plates to order (I don't - it's highly illegal), or if he's a shonk trying to save money in replacing a damaged plate by buying a second-hand one rather than get a replacement from VicRoads (again, illegal).

Zero feedback buyer who became a member the same day he bought the plate. Surprise, surprise...

Message 1 of 33
Latest reply
32 REPLIES 32

Good luck with that buyer!!
Message 2 of 33
Latest reply

Yep. If I want to cancel the order, I only have the choices of "out of stock", "Problem with the item", "problem with buyer's address", "buyer asked to cancel" - none of which are correct.
Message 3 of 33
Latest reply

Try perhaps contacting the buyer along these lines:

โ€œDear [buyer],

Thank you for your purchase of this vintage number plate.

I see that you have included a note in the order, where you ask for the number plate to have a different registration number on the number plate.

This would be impossible to provide, as it would be illegal. The vintage number plate is as shown with the number QRA723, and this can't be altered. If you require a different number (as per your note), you should contact VicRoads.

Would you like to proceed with this order, with the vintage number plate QRA723 as shown in the listing? If you do not want this number plate as listed, you can contact me within the next 24 hours and ask to cancel the order. You will be refunded in that case.

If I do not hear from you within 24 hours, I will take it that you are happy to receive the vintage number plate as listed, and will proceed with posting this to you.

Kind regards,

[name]โ€

Then, if the buyer contacts you to say that no, he doesn't want it, you can cancel with the reason "Buyer asks to cancel".

Message 4 of 33
Latest reply

Whiz - just choose "problem with buyers address/other" - it will allow you to cancel with no defect recorded.

Safest option

Message 5 of 33
Latest reply

It's just a shame there's not a "buyer is a complete 'tard/fruit loop/moron" option when choosing a cancellation option.

Message 6 of 33
Latest reply

marwi_3023
Community Member
That's not a vintage plate and it is probably illegal to own as they have to be handed into Vic roads for some years now
Message 7 of 33
Latest reply

The rules state that the plate has to have been cancelled for more than three years. This one has. Perfectly legal. There's a number plate collectors society (of which I'm a member) which liases with VicRoads for disposal of used plates.

And I didn't say the one in the image was a vintage plate - I said I collect vintage plates, and sell off the ones I obtain that aren't. This is one of those.

Message 8 of 33
Latest reply

And you don't mention anywhere in the post that the plate isn't a vintage plate either so it's your bad.

You said this is the one the buyer bought.

So you see how some members might see things differently.

Message 9 of 33
Latest reply

marwi_3023
Community Member
Okay, thanks for that because the lady at my VicRoads is demanding that I hand in a number plate
Message 10 of 33
Latest reply