ACCC - Illegal - eBay not refunding Final Value Fees on Shipping costs that are Refunded

Hi Everyone,

I've noticed for a while now that eBay has stopped issueing credits back to sellers on Final Value Fees taken for shipping/postage, that have since been adjusted (partially refunded) or fully refunded after the customer has paid.
PayPal issues an immediate refund for the fee taken on the portion of shipping costs refunded, however eBay is holding on to the money illegally.

Whilst I understand it's a small amount per transaction. Multiply this amount by hundreds of sales, multiplied by thousands of sellers over a few years, and you end up with something that is remnisant of the Banking errors made public recently. Whilst I'm sure this is an overcite, NOW that it's being brought up, should be corrected voluntarily by eBay Australia who holds a -  to avoid being put in the public spotlight for all the wrong reasons.

I think the headline "eBay Corrects Fee Errors - ACCC Applauds" is better than "ACCC Takes Proceeding Against eBay for Over Charging".

Thoughts?

Message 1 of 24
Latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

Re: ACCC - Illegal - eBay not refunding Final Value Fees on Shipping costs that are Refunded

Most of the time the postage is only $2.50 that I refund, not for satchels.  I probably sell an average of two items per buyer transaction.  If they make separate payments I have no hesitation in keeping the extra 30c I pay to paypal.

@ digi, I wouldn't hold my breath!

@ dusan.  Thanks for that information - much appreciated!!  I'm not sure where the other seller got their info from, but the info you get probably depends on which rep you get.

Message 11 of 24
Latest reply

Re: ACCC - Illegal - eBay not refunding Final Value Fees on Shipping costs that are Refunded

This affects me about once or twice a month, usually when an overseas buyer makes a second purchase on the same day. I will combine shipping and refund the extra postage paid. 

I usually use the Live Chat to rectify, just copy and paste the explanation in to the chat along with item number etc.

It's a pain to have to, and of course you can weigh up the benefit of spending 10 minutes in chat to resolve a fee credit of however much it is (usually under $1).

But eBay have always been happy to process the fee credit when asked in this way. 

On principle I do make the effort, but when the eBay order detail is automatically updated following the Paypal refund, then I do think it's very unethical for eBay to not also make the adjustment to the fee automatically.

It doesn't really matter if it's 10 cents or $10, it is poor business practice for eBay not to automate this, given the amount of automation they have established with Paypal in other respects, and the automation in the initial collection of the fees.

Just my 2c, which I will claim back later hahaha!

Message 12 of 24
Latest reply

Hi,  I just thought I would add my conversation with an ebay representative today on credits.    At the moment, they will only go as far back as 1st July 17 (start of financial year), and also cut off this year at end of July.     Through the broken english, I took the meaning to be if you ring in August 2018, you can't claim for something in June 2018.   So if you have some fees owed, take care of it before end of June.

Message 13 of 24
Latest reply

I don't know how they can go back to July 17 because to get proof you refunded you'd have to show screenshots from paypal.

I found that the refunds showed in my sold list if they buy more than different item/s, but if they buy more than one of the same item the refund doesn't show - so only half my refunds show and it'd be too time-consuming to try and prove my refunds through paypal.
Message 14 of 24
Latest reply

Hi to get accurate shipping charges even multiple item ordered can be done on eBay as eBay does have that more advnched shipping option. Not want to go much detail, first you need to know exactly shipping chrge.s from carrier and then use eBay multiple item shipping discount table. And then set each listing to apply which part of that tble to use. If you don't want the hassle just use all calculated with you provide the weight and dimensions on each listing. Let me know if you guys went to know more or have any questions ?
Message 15 of 24
Latest reply

Postage rules are fine if you sell things that are all approximately the same size and weight, but that is not always the case.

I sell books. 1, 2, or 3 books can fit in a 500g satchel. Anywhere from 3 to 10 can fit in a 3kg satchel.

In my case there is no way I can automate postage for multiple items without ripping either myself or the buyer off.

Message 16 of 24
Latest reply

The idea is to have weight profile of each item you have based on standard rate Auspost, not rate of satchel. Once combined it should get closer to actual weight. Fitting into satchel is a bonus as it can capped your expenses. If you have already tried, even buyer end up paying a little extra, you should not feel sorry for yourself.

Message 17 of 24
Latest reply

As Dave has said, this is not suitable for what he sells.

I trust Dave to know what works best for his business; every business model is different, and the business owner/manager may make choices based on information that he or she has, to which others are not privy.

There are certainly many instances where automated postage for multiple items simply will not work for a seller.

Message 18 of 24
Latest reply

It doesn't work for items that are sent as letters either. Like dave, I've checked it out thoroughly and IT DOES NOT WORK FOR SOME ITEMS.

If my buyers ended up paying more for postage they wouldn't buy from me, so postage has to be accurate.
Message 19 of 24
Latest reply

@dusan_malobabic wrote:

Hi Everyone,

I've noticed for a while now that eBay has stopped issueing credits back to sellers on Final Value Fees taken for shipping/postage, that have since been adjusted (partially refunded) or fully refunded after the customer has paid.
PayPal issues an immediate refund for the fee taken on the portion of shipping costs refunded, however eBay is holding on to the money illegally.

You are right, I have never been happy with this situation. I know I can call and ask to refunded fees on the amount refunded to a Buyer but why I need to make this call and waste extra time on it I have no idea. It all can be done atumatically as eBay knows about any paypal refund. It is reflected in sale manager so for me it looks like eBay enjoing extra profit from inflated postage cost and may be even created this situation on purpuse. Who knows may be their imediate payment addition is part of this enjoyment.

If I do not have time to call about some particular refund I just refund an excessive postage cost minus eBay fees on it. Usually it saves my buyers $10-40 on postage over lossing extra $1-3 on eBay fees.

Decoroo - Custom made wooden products
Message 20 of 24
Latest reply