AP post selling overseas

crippi-99
Community Member
I had started an auction for a watch when approached from overseas about a sale to Nigeria.The buyer has a good reputation,eveything seems in order as far as my payment,but I have not ever used this service or shipped overseas so I have to ask for safety due to ebay listing no pending transaction.
Message 1 of 26
Latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

AP post selling overseas

STOP!!!!!!!

DO NOT SELL TO SOMEONE IN NIGERIA!!!!

SCAM ALERT

Sorry for all the CAPS but I wanted to get your attention.  I'll be back in the morning to explain in more detail,  but I suspect that by then someone else will have explained about false payment notifications, hijacked accounts, credit card fraud, nonexistent eBay/PayPal escrow accounts etc.

In the meantime,  just Google "Nigeria eBay scams".

Message 2 of 26
Latest reply

AP post selling overseas

and do not communicate with them, especially by email
Message 3 of 26
Latest reply

AP post selling overseas

No idea about a watch-only thing I can see is a pocket knife you've sold.

Also, you on Australian ebay boards.

Message 4 of 26
Latest reply

AP post selling overseas

Ohhh gotcha-so you had an auction for a Tag Heuer watch and you ended it so you could sell to a

Nigerian scammer OFF ebay ???? Or did the scammer offer you the US $400 so you ended the

listing ??

Not even worth wasting my time explaining about Nigeria always equals scam.

NOTM

Message 5 of 26
Latest reply

AP post selling overseas

You are on the Australian Forum here. If you are a new seller, eBay will not allow you to sell Internationally anyway. You need to meet certain criteria before you are allowed to sell Internationally.   Do not deal with Nigeria no matter how convincing they are.  Most Sellers block certain countries from buying, looking at other seller's excluded lists will give you some ideas.

Message 6 of 26
Latest reply

AP post selling overseas

You appear to be registered in US, yet you've posted on Australian boards. Not to ebay itself.

Your thread title has me puzzled. I normally think of AP as standing for Australia post.

But whatever it stands for, if by chance you do come back here, listen to the others. If you have very little experience using ebay & if you have any confusions about using the ebay sites, such as these boards, then the chances of you selling to Nigeria and coming out a winner are extremely small.

Do yourself a favour and only sell in your own country for a while.

Message 7 of 26
Latest reply

AP post selling overseas

just send him a rock and a picture of the item, that would be a hoot

Message 8 of 26
Latest reply

AP post selling overseas

okay, you being in the USA explains why your post was around 4 in the morning, thatโ€™s why I posted that โ€œIโ€™ll be back in the morning to explainโ€.

These scams can take a number of different forms. This is a common form:

- you will get a request for your PayPal email address so that a payment can be made

- if you provide your PayPal email address you would then receive an official looking email purporting to be from PayPal indicating that payment has been made but that the payment is being held until you provide a tracking number

- there is NO payment and no funds will be released if you upload tracking details

- by giving them your PayPal address they will send their official looking email direct to you AND it will probably include a link for you to click to view the transaction in your PayPal account

- DO NOT CLICK LINKS IN EMAILS

- if you click the link you will be taken to an official looking PayPal log in screen and then when you log in you will be taken to an official looking PayPal screen showing that you have funds there on hold

- there will probably be a link on that page for you to upload tracking

If you fall for this version of the scam what you will have done is:

- confirm a valid PayPal email account

- given them your password

- given them access to any funds you have in paypal

- given them access to any credit cards you have on file with PayPal

- given them the ability to use your PayPal account to use the โ€œsend moneyโ€ feature to send themselves money that will come from your credit/debit card

- if you use the same password for your eBay account they will now have that too

- you will have sent the watch to them without any prospect of being paid for it

- compromised your computer/phone operating system

What you should do if you have fallen for this scam is:

- contact your card issuing authority and cancel the card or let them know it is compromised

- immediately change all passwords for email/PayPal/eBay accounts

- contact PayPal and eBay and let them know your account has been compromised

- run your anti-virus software to detect viruses or trojans

- be extra suspicious of emails you receive and, of course, DO NOT CLICK ON LINKS IN EMAILS!

- change your passwords on a regular basis for a few months (every week would not be out of order)

- cease all communications with this scammer and be vigilant in future, after all they do have your email address

Message 9 of 26
Latest reply

AP post selling overseas

eveything seems in order as far as my payment,but I have not ever used this service

Maybe it's just me BUT I'm reading that as OP has fallen for something like money is being held by

escrow or payment has been made via Western Union. I'm reallly not reading it as anything to do with

Paypal. Anyway, OP probably won't come back so has highly likely lost their watch by now.

Message 10 of 26
Latest reply