ARE LOW DSR for postage charges still valid?

I just made a mistake while listing an item by putting postage in at $ 450 instead of $4.50.

the system stopped me listing and gave me a lecture about excessive postage costs.

The gist of the lecture was that I could only charge actual postage / packaging cost  plus a nominal handling fee.

So if buyers are protected by this system why can they leave unsubstantiated false claims about postage costs as DSR.

(if the system actually works properly it should be impossible to charge excessive postage making a low DSR impossible to do)

To me this seems to deny sellers natural justice as DSR details are left anonymously and could well be manipulated by people seeking to remove competition from the marketplace. (this happened to somebody I know).

For the lawyers out there enjoying the holidays in their seaside mansions would it be worth considering a large action?

Message 1 of 3
Latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

Re: ARE LOW DSR for postage charges still valid?

"if the system actually works properly it should be impossible to charge excessive postage making a low DSR impossible to do"

I agree, but how well does the system work?

Buyers can leave a low score for a variety of reasons, which can be honest ones. Such as being asked to pay more postage after the listing has ended, in order to receive the item at all; a misunderstanding as to what a "reasonable" handling fee might be; a disagreement on excessive postage...450$ is well in excess of most postage costs, so I can see the system flagging that.

I would be interested to know when it is flagged as too high. 50$? 200$?

How the system determines "excessive" would also matter (as in weight, or size).

So depending on the threshold, it would be possible for sellers to have excessive postage in a listing.

I have seen 25$ post for a few pennies, for example.

Some reasons are unfair to the seller, I agree, but not all would necessarily be false, as the system does seem to have flaws.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buttercup: You mock my pain! Man in Black: Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something.
Message 2 of 3
Latest reply

Re: ARE LOW DSR for postage charges still valid?

The problem is kind of two-fold - the basis for ratings is on buyer perception (auto-5's notwithstanding), but the effect of those perceptions are treated like unequivocable proof of poor performance, which in turn is punishable (by lower rankings, loss of other advantages, selling limits / restrictions, or outright suspension). 

I would have no problem with DSRs if a low score didn't mean eBay could turn around and go, 'hey there, we see one or two buyers thought your service was kinda meh... so....

smack

I would also have less of a problem with the DSR system if there was at least some accountability for the low scoring - they damage businesses, yet the seller generally can't even find out why, let alone anything else (if someone damages your business, personally I think the person / business on the receiving end should have some form of recourse (not against the buyer, but to protect themselves) / defence / right of reply). 

Back to the point, though - excessive postage, what a buyer thinks of a seller's P&H charges, and limitations on postage charges by eBay aren't the same thing.

CDs have a $7.20 cap for flat rate. I could wrap one in a bit of paper, put 2 x 60c stamps on it and charge $7.20 (more if I used calculated for some reason), but I'm guessing the recipient wouldn't be very impressed with the P&H charges. Conversely, I could swaddle it in bubble wrap, put it in a padded bag and pay the $6.95 parcel rate. The recipient may still be unimpressed, but it's less likely - that's why the DSR for postage cost is still there. Within the spectrum of allowable charges, a seller can do all sorts of different things that would ultimately warrant a different score (in a buyer's mind).

Message 3 of 3
Latest reply