ATO - do earnings belong to the Ebay account owner or the Paypal account owner?

Hello ๐Ÿ™‚

My boyfriend and I sell on Ebay from both of our respective accounts, but both Ebay accounts are linked to my Paypal.

We are starting to do a decent amount of sales between the 2 accounts and will be reporting our income to the ATO to be safe.

BUT, I'm not sure if all the income is mine, because I own the Paypal account so the money actually goes to me, or if he earns what is sold from his account and vice versa.

Thank you in advance for you advice. 

Message 1 of 26
Latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

Re: ATO - do earnings belong to the Ebay account owner or the Paypal account owner?

I,m not disagreeing with you on any of the points you make. The OP was asking about TAXABLE INCOME recieved as a result of conducting a business on ebay. My comments where directed to these enquiries. It is uncommon for people to face an audit from the ATO and it usually only occurs if there are major discrepancies between declared income and unexplained banked income, particularly if a certain field of business has been chosen for "special attention" by the ATO.  With all of the fuss being made about online businesses by B & M traders along with the overall increase in online sales of all types, it could be argued that ebay traders could be singled out sometime in the near future for "special attention". Should an account be chosen for audit, the ATO basically works on a "guilty untill proven innocent" policy regards deposits to a financial institution account. This means the recipient of funds needs to provide documentry proof  the deposits where not income, but came from some other legitamate source. I agree money can come from many sources such as income, gifts, financial "adjustments" lottery & gambling winnings etc. The tax office stance is that unless the recipient can prove the money came from another source, it is regarded as income for tax purposes. The OP may well be able to argue that some of the income came from her partners ebay account, but once it all ends up in a financial account under her name the ownership becomes much more difficult to establish in law. It is these technical, legal issues I was attempting to address. As stated in my last post, common sense does not always alighn with the law. Our undersatanding of what is fair, and "the way things should be" dont always alighn with the way the ATO operates under an audit situation. It is most unlikly the OP will face an audit by the ATO, but my advice was aimed at providing accurate information about the correct processes and accounting procedures for people establishing small businesses on Ebay.

Message 11 of 26
Latest reply

Re: ATO - do earnings belong to the Ebay account owner or the Paypal account owner?

waf, if you are able to spare the hour or so on hold, why don't you call the ATO and ask for advice. They are generally helpfull and although the answer may not be guarenteed they are unlikely to give you false info and will put you onto someone who knows generally.

Besides their CRM system will log the chat and that would help you I'd imagine if there ever was afuture problem.  IMO.

Message 12 of 26
Latest reply

Thank you for your advice. I only started selling on ebay again (after several years) in January and will be declaring all of my income.

Do I need to be a business to claim the deductions? Thank you in advance.
Message 13 of 26
Latest reply

Thank you for all for your advice - I will also be calling the ATO, so I will post my feedback here so all will know how I go. And my partner will organise his own paypal account.

I really appreciate the time everyone took to answer my question. Thank you again ๐Ÿ™‚
Message 14 of 26
Latest reply

No, you do not need to be a business to claim deductions.

If you spend money to earn an income it is tax deductible.

I suggest an appointment with an accountant who can tell you everything you need to know and how to keep your records to get the maximum deductions.  You do not necessarily have to have him do your tax, but if you are on the right track you are less likely to have problems down the track.

Message 15 of 26
Latest reply

yep,get a good accountant..mine should be deregistered as one cause they stuffed me up big time.

PS..i heard that ATO will be doing a major overhaul on online sales regarding taxes etc..all transactions via bank,paypal etc etc will be given to these gov bodies..yay,more for them.

Message 16 of 26
Latest reply

maybe its time to pull the pin on selling online is how im feeling

Message 17 of 26
Latest reply

Some-one has to pay for those school halls and in again, out again home insulation !!!  ( and dont get me started on the baby bonus )

Message 18 of 26
Latest reply

Hi you seem to know what you are talking about  a question please

my partner has been trading for over 5 years, I know ebay advises the tax dept when sales go over $20,000 is this per year or total over the 5 years of trading? appreciate a reply thank you XX

Message 19 of 26
Latest reply

Hi Trustykeiley, The ATO recently announced that it has asked ebay for the financial information on all ID,s with sales greater than $10,000 ( per year ) in either of the last two financial years. Until this latest announcement the figure had been $20,000 total sales in any one year. ( many years ago the figure was $75,000 ). If your partner sold around $20,000 ( maybe a bit more ) total over a five year period, the tax office would be most unlikely to be interested in his account. There are several things the tax office appear to be looking for with the recent $10,000 annual sales figures. They include ebayers who have several selling accounts which may make $10,000-$20,000 sales on each ID per year, but added together are much larger sums. ( more like $40-$50,000 total per year ). The ATO is also interested in bricks and mortar businesses that also have an ebay account . Some of these businesses declare their income from the main business but "forget" to mention the ebay sales. The third thing they have indicated is that they will be cross referencing ebay income from people who rely on social security, to see if they are running substantial, undeclared businesses on ebay whilst claiming benefits. ( this may be tied up with the governments recent announcements on clamping down on welfare recipients announced in the budget ) People can sell personal items from around the house and sheds without having to declare the sales as income ( so long as they are not investments such as valuable art works, rare wines  etc. purchased originally as investments ) . The ATO has a range of indicators it uses to decide if some-one is running a business instead of selling private items. A very crude measure is if you buy something to sell again at a profit it is taxable income. If you buy something to use yourself ( for private purposes around the home ) and then sell it later, it is private and not subject to tax. I am a bit of a hoarder and have several sheds full of old stuff. ( mainly old car and motor cycle parts, tools, tins, signs etc. ) As I am getting older the wife has told me to clean it up, because she is worried I will have a heart attack and she will be left with it. I sell around $15,000 worth of these items on my private account each year. I dont declare this to the ATO, even though I have two other selling accounts that I do declare the income from. The two other accounts are businesses that buy and sell stuff, the private account just sells stuff I have had in the sheds for years from my hobbies of restoring and racing cars and motor cycles, collecting bits at auto swap meets etc.  Unless your partner buys a large number of things to sell for a profit and sells more than $10,000 total each year, the tax office will be unlikely to be interested in him at the moment. Their recent announcement that they have lowered the limit from $20,000 to $10,000 and applied it retrospectivly, has caught many people out and shows they may change their plans in the future. My own personal opinion is if some-one on a low income or benefits makes a few dollars to help pay the school fees or buy the grandkids a birthday present, good luck to them. If young, fit people are running good sized businesses and selling tens of thousands of dollars per year they should be declaring the income to the ATO.

Message 20 of 26
Latest reply