AUSTRALIA POST CHARGING MORE & MORE & GIVING LESS AND LESS

HARD TO BELIEVE A~P~  is owned by all of us taxpayers as it's owned by the Aust Fed Govt and yet they still

have the audacity to pay EACH of the FAT CATS MILLIONS OF DOLLARS in Salaries and Bonuses, at the cost to all Aussies, some of which can ill-afford Parcel Prices which are "OFF THE SCALE", while theyre trying to keep their business viable ANTIME, let alone this disastrous last 12 month period of COVID19.

Charges keep rising exponentially whilst services and weight-thresholds keep coming down; thanks A~P~

.............  Right in the middle of Covid19 when charges should be REDUCED and weight-thesholds lifted

You have to wonder why anything you buy on ebay from China comes for $1 to $10 Postage, AND in half the time to send same parcel from Melbourne to Queensland or Perth !  ............  and $10 to $40 for postage charge from A~P~ to ensure the FATCATS don't suffer at any Salary reduction; oh dear, we couldnt have that could we !

I'd love to REALLY vent my spleen on these lovely people at A~P~ , but I fear "thou dost protest too much" syndrome may kick in, and A~P~ will get "floated" as an IPO on the Stock Exchange, and the situation will emulate our Gas & Fuel Corp and SEC which were reasonable in charges when compared to the over-charging sh+t-fight we have been experiencing since they were sold off from our Taxpayer ownership, many decades ago.

I'd like to think I'd have time to write a book just on what I have proof of, of the scams, fraud and injustices bestowed on us all at the hands of  Aust Post, Telstra, NBN, et al, but knowing most of us know exactly and suffered what that book would reveal, causes me to refrain, lest it be a complete waste of precious time.

ALL the local Metro Red street boxes in Frankston-Seaford in Melbourne, have "POST BY 12 MIDDAY" as of a year ago, compared to 6pm prior to that. I assume the rest of Melb metro is the same ?

On a positive note, the 50c "Priority Stamp" seems to be the best value-for-money for urgent letters, which can be up to 20mm thick and 500g in weight, where speed is essential, similar to "Express Parcels" 

Message 1 of 14
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Priority was suspended almost a year ago now, and will be reviewed for re-introduction in a couple of months. 

One of the reasons it was suspended is flight availability - to say flight availability dropped significantly when covid hit is kind of an understatement. It's the same reason the next-day guarantee for express was also suspended, because a much lower percentage of mail can travel by plane now, and mail that does needs to be prioritised appropriately; which is not mail that has a 50c priority stamp on it, but stuff like medicine and medical equipment, PPE, and so on. 

There's a few reasons Australia has done so well with covid, one of them is the practices put into place by businesses who had workers who were considered essential, Aus Post is one of those businesses that provided essential services, but of course they have to implement social distancing measures, at a time when demand for mail services increased to never before seen levels - it is impossible to maintain the standards we had under those conditions.

They actually did much better for their customers than so many other postal systems, if you care to look at more than just AP for a few minutes. Yes, they suspended priority and only started delivering letter mail every second day, yes, they got rid of the option for international letter mail with merchandise (and I'm not trying to downplay the impact that had on small businesses, it's been devastating), and also suspended economy options for international mail, but at least their prices for basic services didn't increase by 500%, plus multiple surcharges on top (which is what DHL did with their ecommerce division - base rate jumped from around $3 for a small, light untracked package, to nearly $16 for the same package, plus emergency surcharge, currency exchange surcharge, RACA surcharge, which AP have to do too, but don't charge extra for, plus increased their pick-up fee from $10 to $30). 

AP absolutely do not do everything right, and there is a lot to be critical of them about, but a little insight into what they have had to adjust to the last year should at least provide a little more perspective for exactly where and how that criticism should be directed - it's definitely not on the temporary withdrawal of priority. 

View solution in original post

Message 11 of 14
Latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

I love how everyone compares AP  to China Post, totally uncomparable, for various reasons.

Everyone would love Australian Wages with China costs,  But as AP already runs at a loss, if they were to drop prices to China rates then in a matter of months there would be no AP delivery services, which would make cheap China Post irrelevant.

Message 2 of 14
Latest reply

@agrademechanic wrote:

You have to wonder why anything you buy on ebay from China comes for $1 to $10 Postage, AND in half the time to send same parcel from Melbourne to Queensland or Perth !  ............  and $10 to $40 for postage charge from A~P~ to ensure the FATCATS don't suffer at any Salary reduction; oh dear, we couldnt have that could we !

Aus Post has some problems, but not all of them are of their own doing - research into it is pretty easy. 

Start with the UPU, the agreement that all signatory countries (including Australia and China) are bound by, and applies to letters & parcels up to 2kg. 

The UPU stipulates that all countries may keep whatever they charge for international postage, and the receiving country delivers it at no additional cost or charge. Periodically, the number of packages sent between each country is tallied, and whoever had to deliver more from the other receives terminal dues to help cover it. (Note: America [read: Trump] threatening to withdraw from the UPU last year, resulting in being able to charge more for incoming packages under 2kg, will continue to have a ripple affect on international postage prices].

You will also find that as soon as a package hits over 2kg, the postage costs from China noticeably jump from what the under 2kg costs are, because then they actually have to pay the receiving country.

So, some interesting questions you may want to ask and look into, is why would China's postal system charge token amounts for shipping overseas in the case where they have to pay a fraction of the delivery cost to the receiving country? And why wouldn't Australia Post (or any other postal system in the world) choose to do the same? 

As for timeframes, I frequently have packages coming from within Australia and from overseas (by which I mean a few packages every week), and I've personally not found a detectable pattern to show that parcels originating from China consistently arrive faster than those originating from Australia. I've had packages from Aus arrive in a couple of days to a few weeks, and I've had packages from China arrive in a few days to a few weeks once they landed here. 

Message 3 of 14
Latest reply

@agrademechanic wrote:

On a positive note, the 50c "Priority Stamp" seems to be the best value-for-money for urgent letters, which can be up to 20mm thick and 500g in weight, where speed is essential, similar to "Express Parcels" 

Our Priority letter service is suspended from 1 June 2020 until 1 July 2021 due to ongoing COVID-19 operating constraints.

https://auspost.com.au/sending/send-within-australia/compare-letter-services/priority-letters

Message 4 of 14
Latest reply

cezm
Community Member

@agrademechanic wrote:

HARD TO BELIEVE A~P~  is owned by all of us taxpayers as it's owned by the Aust Fed Govt and yet they still

have the audacity to pay EACH of the FAT CATS MILLIONS OF DOLLARS in Salaries and Bonuses, at the cost to all Aussies, some of which can ill-afford Parcel Prices which are "OFF THE SCALE", while theyre trying to keep their business viable ANTIME, let alone this disastrous last 12 month period of COVID19.

Charges keep rising exponentially whilst services and weight-thresholds keep coming down; thanks A~P~

.............  Right in the middle of Covid19 when charges should be REDUCED and weight-thesholds lifted

I think many people have benefitted from the recent increase to weight threshold (to 5kg) for the small, medium and large satchels 

Message 5 of 14
Latest reply

The only part of Australia Post owned by "us" is the mail service (e.g. stamped letters, which would cost about $5 each to break even but the base stamp rate is $1.10, thus making a loss on anything under 250 grams); the parcel division is a for-profit entity looking to increase their bank account like every other for-profit business, so of course they want to charge like a rhino on a skateboard instead of being a loss leader.

Message 6 of 14
Latest reply

@cezm wrote:  I think many people have benefitted from the recent increase to weight threshold (to 5kg) for the small, medium and large satchels 

I agree, the new weight limit of 5kg has been a real bonus for sellers -  kudos to Aust Post for finally having a good idea.   Of course some of us will remember that they had a similar idea some years ago - for example the B4 limit was 20kg at a fixed rate - but they took it away again.

Message 7 of 14
Latest reply

And the AusPost overseas parcel charges have just been quietly increased:

"Due to significantly reduced airfreight capacity, and increased costs to secure space to transport your goods, we’ll be introducing an International Linehaul Surcharge until further notice.

From 8 March 2021, international outbound parcel consignments lodged to destination zones where we are experiencing additional airfreight costs will incur an International Linehaul Surcharge until further notice. Please be assured the rates by destination zone will be reviewed (and may be adjusted) on a monthly basis until we are able to restore our outbound airfreight to the arrangements in place prior to the pandemic."

Message 8 of 14
Latest reply

I"ve never heard so much rubbish in all my life ! .......................

if this opinion of AP running at a loss was even within an inch of being true, how do you explain the MILLIONS of Dollars PER YEAR they pay to even one, or God knows how may CEO's ????????????

.........   and the MILLIONS per year they waste on dysfunctional INEPTNESS with collection and delivery of the ONE THING THEY TRY TO DO and CAN'T EVEN HANDLE RIGHT;  ......   Pickup and deliver Mail !

Message 9 of 14
Latest reply

The minute I find a positive with AP, they shoot themselves in the foot by stopping dead the "positive" in Priority Mail with the COVID excuse !

Can anyone explain to me how in blazes they can justify COVID for stopping anything at AP, let alone "Priority Mail",  since the whole of Australia is MORE THAN 99.9999 % COVID-FREE ???????

Message 10 of 14
Latest reply