Absolutely Abhorent Treatment of an Ebay Seller with a long term good record

Read this story and weep for the seller.

I've never seen such disgraceful treatment of a seller by ebay CS in my time on here.

I think this one is up in the same league as the top end mobile phone scam by a Canadian buyer that was on these boards a while back.

That one ended up in the seller's favour (after some persistence) as I believe this one should too.

https://www.facebook.com/eBay.com.au/posts/1349562681737800?hc_location=ufi

Message 1 of 27
Latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

Yes we all know that indeed they can and do read the messages between buyer and seller.

However, it seems by the story, that at least two levels of management above the CSR supported the CSR in making that statement and then when he tried to get help from ebay.AU they just stonewalled and said that they would uphold any decision made by the USA team and it was final.

This story has so many wrongs on so many levels.

Message 11 of 27
Latest reply

I'm not sure if the GST and import taxes are correct for an item RETURNED to Australia.

I'm aware of several items of machinery and engines sent OS for repair and no return taxes were required upon return.

I think the seller would have had a solid case of exemption as he did not actually purchase this item. No money was paid or sent OS so why would he be required to pay duties?

Message 12 of 27
Latest reply

True...

But if you read the full story the buyer scammer was being very vindictive and sent him a message saying "hope you have fun with customs".

Then they put a false declaration form on the parcel that said that the item had been purchased overseas NOT being returned.

Well of course customs are going to want import duties whch he had to pay = $411.

Message 13 of 27
Latest reply

But not particularly hard to prove he sold the same bag to the same lady 1 month previously either.

There is also no purchase receipt involved. He did not actually pay the lady....

If there was no outgoing monetary transaction he has no need to pay. 

If the lady wants to claim he did, then that's fraud (or something)

Message 14 of 27
Latest reply

Yes the seller can probably sort it out with Customs but he should not have to.

As Clarry says, the buyer was just being vindictive.

Message 15 of 27
Latest reply

@pnc75 wrote:

Pity the media didn't pick up on things like this.

I am sure if this seller had been trying to tell them about it they would have picked it up.  He also could go to lawyers for an advice and may be some of them would be interested in a fight with eBay in a court.  

He could also try to explain a situation to Australia customs, show them his custom declaration(they should have one when he posted it to a buyer)t hat this bag was exported overseas and it cannot be a merchadise but simply a return for recently exported product.  

Decoroo - Custom made wooden products
Message 16 of 27
Latest reply

@dazzledayz wrote:

@clarry100 wrote:

The seller did speak with the manager of "the high value claims" department.

He simply supported the CS team and said they do not read any ebay messages.

I will see what (if anything) Griff comes back with.

That statement by CS is absolute rubbish!

Totally agree. They read messages and did it many times for me. It is just a lie.

Decoroo - Custom made wooden products
Message 17 of 27
Latest reply

would there be some kind of ombudsman, an independant umpire so to speak, that the guy could ask for help from?

Message 18 of 27
Latest reply

I saw that late last night and was utterly speechless - the more I read, the more frustrated I got (with eBay's response, and complete dismissal of the seller). 

eBay should be embarrassed and ashamed to have dealt with the situation that way, and as for the buyer, I hope the karma earned from that comes around quick. ๐Ÿ˜ž 

Message 19 of 27
Latest reply

@cushioncovers wrote:

Very depressing read, but I have to wonder why people sell $3000 Chanel bags and other items worth thousands and thousands on this platform.

Such sellers are just setting themselves up for heartache and headaches.

There are plenty other fashion-specific resale sites out there which deal with second-hand high end items.

Such sellers would be far better off to list with those sites than Ebay.

The other sites you refer to do not have the traffic unfortunately, and if you think scammers dont troll those sites too then think again.

I know of this Seller, great Seller, fabulous items excellent customer service. This story is heartbareaking.

I had a very similar expereince with a USA Chanel buyer wanting a discount after sale however my outcome & experience was vastly different. ebayau actually ended up telling ebayusa the outcome should be in Sellers favour, ebayau I have to say were utterly wonderful during the whole process.   

They read ALL the messages between Seller and Buyer so I cant understand the bit about not reading any messages.

This story does make me re think selling to the USA though. The only buyers I have ever had requests for aftersales discounts are from the USA.

This site can not afford to lose Sellers like this one, what makes ebay an option for buyers is and has always been choice/selection, the fewer choices they have the fewer buyers we have.

Lastly, how can it be legal for a site to refund the buyer from the Sellers account AND allow the buyer to keep the item as was threatened in this case? I may be a little ignorant to the law here but it sounds like theft to me.

Message 20 of 27
Latest reply