Account has been restricted despite supplying requested identification

bdturne
Community Member

A month ago I made a sale on the new "paypal-less" eBay, my first in a while, and was asked to supply identification or risk my account being restricted.

I uploaded my drivers license and the other details - was told to wait a few days - and then a few days later was asked to do it again. I did it again. And a few days later it asked me again. So this time I uploaded my passport details. And just now they've suspended my account.

So... no customer support to contact (tried live chat, was told it was unavailable) and no indication or feedback given at any stage about what was wrong with the identification I provided. Just stock emails, over and over again, and now restricted. 

Any way of getting my money back from eBay now? I'm certainly not planning to return as a customer, I just want my money that they've kept.

Message 1 of 7
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

You should be able to cancel the order, but make sure you use the reason "Problem with Buyer address".

When you submit ID, you have to make sure that your Ebay registration details match exactly what's on the ID. I got caught out initially as I used a shortened version of my name back when I signed up in 2002. Once I corrected it, it was fine.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 7
Latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

You should be able to cancel the order, but make sure you use the reason "Problem with Buyer address".

When you submit ID, you have to make sure that your Ebay registration details match exactly what's on the ID. I got caught out initially as I used a shortened version of my name back when I signed up in 2002. Once I corrected it, it was fine.

Message 2 of 7
Latest reply

It might have been after hours for live chat agents, try again tomorrow.   As JB said everything has to match exactly,  but there are also other factors that are involved in the verification process.  As far as I am aware  if you do not pass the verification process, ebay is legally not permitted to pay you.  Best of luck.

Message 3 of 7
Latest reply

bdturne
Community Member

Nah, live chat never worked - tried dozens of times.

However, I did finally spy a phone icon floating off to the side on the verification screen itself, and finally got to speak to a real human being, who thankfully turned out to be a very knowledgable and helpful human being.

And, as noted above (thank you) the problem was indeed my name on the account I set up over a decade ago did not match the exact name on my ID.

Gave the customer support rep 5 stars, and the terrible id verification process that gave no indication of why my identification was failing (to the point I just kept uploading different IDs) 1 star.

Got my payout lined up for tomorrow now. Gotta say, after that, not super tempted to engage with the website again (once a hostile website threatens to steal your money, it kinda sours your feelings about putting yourself into that situation again, and paying 20% sales fees for the privilege...) but at least we're even now.

Message 4 of 7
Latest reply

Glad it got sorted, but I'm not sure where you get 20% fees?

Standard fees have been around 13% for a very long time. In fact, in some categories the fees are under 10%.

Subtitles or promotions cost extra and will incur an overall higher percentage.

I have a couple of promoted items and it costs an extra 7% of the sale price.

Message 5 of 7
Latest reply

@bdturne wrote:

..............and paying 20% sales fees for the privilege...) but at least we're even now.

Where on earth do you get that figure from ?  eBay selling fees are around 14% not 20%.........

Edit. Snap Jelly.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 6 of 7
Latest reply

Live chat is working perfectly,  just logged onto an agent to test and connected in less than one minute.

So don't know why you could not get it to work.

As others have said, don't know where you get  20% from

Message 7 of 7
Latest reply