Account suspension, anyone had something similar?

I have been buying and selling from the one account up until now. I recently set up with a new provider for emails and as I had set up some new email adresses, decided to set up some new accounts to up my selling. I set up 5 new accounts- 2 in my name, and 1 in each of my daughters names, to keep items and money separate. That night all new accounts were suspended.

The next day I rang ebay to find out why, they said I needed to verify my address and identity, which of course I could only do for the 2 accounts in my name. So I sent correct documents and 2 accounts were reinstated

(if you say it quick it seems a simple process!!!??)

I listed 30 items on each account, and that night they were suspended again!

I contacted ebay, and they said my address was illegible on the legal document.

i sent new document, rang ebay to check it had been received, and they said they were not going to reinstate the accounts as I had too many accounts on the same IP address.

How many can I have?

Well I only have 1, and if you reinstate the 2 accounts I have verified I will have 3?
Yes but you set up 5 new accounts.

OK, they are suspended, I now only have 1 account? Can I get the 2 accounts that have been checked and verified reinstated?

I'll check it out and get back to you.....

Received this message...

Thank you for contacting eBay in regard to the suspension of your account earlier.  

I understand that you are concerned regarding the reason of your account suspension. Please know that after reviewing the details on your account for appeal, we have determined that it is in our mutual best interest to part ways. Because your actions have not complied with eBay site policy, we have decided that you will no longer be able to participate on the site. Our investigating department has found out that your information and your selling behavior is not in accordance with ebay's guidlines for a safe trading environment.

Unfortunately, as a result of this action, your account will remain suspended indefinitely. Further communication in this regard will not result in the in the reinstatement of your account.

Again, eBay desires a safe and positive buying/selling environment for each of our members. Although this decision is unfortunate, it was done with the entire eBay Community in mind.  

It seems a dead end.....I know ebay have to be careful with security, but I am a small seller, cleaing out my excess, and have done everything they have asked......any clues where I've gone wrong?

Message 1 of 7
Latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

saarzi
Community Member

I dont think youve purposely done anything wrong, its just Ebay is being super duper careful.

Im guessing their logic is -

You tried to open accounts using fake names (your kids names or not, they arent your name). When asked to verify, you couldnt.  You didnt just do this with one account, but multiple.

Ebay policy states you also cant open multiple account to get around fees or account restrictions (read about it here), and it *looks* like this is exactly what you have done (not saying you intended to).

Even if bad intent wasnt there on your part, the above looks dodgy on multiple levels. Ebay has the ability to remove anyone for any reason they like, and they arent willing to take the risk with this, and honestly, if someone was doing this in your own business and you had millions of other non-dodgy looking people wanting to sell,  would you take the risk with the dodgy one?  I wouldn't.

Theres nothing you can do with Ebay themselves, however, you may be able to make a complaint to the ACCC... you MAY be able to get your original account reinstated that way. Others might have other ideas. I dont like your chances.

The good news for you is that there are multiple ways of selling out there at the moment that are cheaper than Ebay, and where you will probably be more successful anyway. I wont mention them here in case this post is deleted, but others might.  Small sellers are really struggling on Ebay at the moment..... you arent missing out on much.

Also, if youve been booted - how are you posting here?  obviously someone has an account you can use.

Message 2 of 7
Latest reply

Thanks for your reply, when you put it that way, I guess I can see where ebays coming from. I've made a big mistake, and can't fix it using those email addresses, by the looks.

As for posting here, the weird thing is (and I'm not complaining!) that my original account is still going fine, they've even upped my selling limit on it, so I guess I just continue selling here.....

Message 3 of 7
Latest reply

And now you're posting with another id??

Your listings are still there and you have posted with 2 id's.

Why exactly are you complaining? 

You've survived the irrational thinking of ebay.  

Be grateful for that much at least

Message 4 of 7
Latest reply

The OP is quite clear that they are not complaining - they actually note it in their most recent post.

They were enquiring if anyone else had experienced something similar or had advice re this situation.

OP my advice is to stick with accounts you have that you can post, list and buy on and AVOID doing anything with those remotely suspicious or they too may be shut down.

Message 5 of 7
Latest reply

ok, youre lucky Ebay didnt remove ALL your accounts, including your original one, as they often do. Ive heard of cases where not only has all of a sellers accounts been removed, but also their families members or room mates, because they *look* similar (same last names or same suburbs or addresses etc), and there was no appeal.

Ebay links your accounts by the credit cards you use / pay pal account / addresses / names etc.   So you generally cant get around a ban by simply creating a new account with a new email address or a different credit card, itll just get you into more trouble.

If they have allowed you to keep your original ID AND theyve increased the limits,  thats a good thing.

You CAN btw have multiple accounts, but as far as Im aware you need to sell completely different items on each account - e.g. clothes on one, kitchen ware on another. (and you cant use fake names on them obviously). 

Message 6 of 7
Latest reply

You can sell a similar type of product on multiple accounts.  I know because I do, and my accounts are linked.

I think the policy identifies that a seller just can't sell identical items on different accounts.

Message 7 of 7
Latest reply