Active Content - Embed YouTube Videos

I've searched all through this forum and also online, maybe I'm missing it...

With the new active content rules coming into play in June/July, is there now no way to embed a YouTube video into a listing description?

I get that eBay says we can embed videos using the html5 video tag, but as far as I  know YouTube videos can't be embedded in this way. Does this mean we will no longer be able to embed YouTube videos? They're kind of important for our listings as they provide product demonstrations etc.

Or am I missing something?

Cheers, Graeme

Message 1 of 6
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Active Content - Embed YouTube Videos

Yes the official response I got from eBay support was that YouTube videos will not be able to be embedded in any way. So you will only be able to provide a hyperlink to the YouTube page.

This will unfortunatley be quite problematic for the many retailers out there who link their website store to their eBay store (ie. so website products are automatically copied to their eBay store). Many webpages will have embedded videos (eg. product demonstrations) and now they will have to manually edit all their listings in eBay each time - much more difficult.

I also think this will decrease the user experience on eBay. But their choice I guess...

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 6
Latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

As I understand nothing that is active will be able to be in a listing.

So I would think embedded videos are a no-no but putting a link to a youtube video would mean the video opens up in another tab and not within the listing therefor ok. But don't quote me.

It appears eBay want the site to run faster n smoother hence the clearing of moving content from their data systems.

image host
Message 2 of 6
Latest reply

@hurtlegearau wrote:

Or am I missing something?

This is the current info from eBay - they don't advise which sites they're allegedly working with, though:

Including a Product Video

You can include videos in your listing using the HTML code below. While some video hosting sites do not fully support HTML5, we're working with popular sites to provide a solution in early 2017. Before you post a video, make sure you understand the eBay Links policy for more information on restrictions/requirements for videos in listings.

Here's some code to embed a video in your listing:

<video width="320" height="240">
<source src="movie.mp4" type="video/mp4">
<p>Here is a video of the product</p>
</video>

http://pages.ebay.com/sell/itemdescription/bestpractices.html

Message 3 of 6
Latest reply

Yes the official response I got from eBay support was that YouTube videos will not be able to be embedded in any way. So you will only be able to provide a hyperlink to the YouTube page.

This will unfortunatley be quite problematic for the many retailers out there who link their website store to their eBay store (ie. so website products are automatically copied to their eBay store). Many webpages will have embedded videos (eg. product demonstrations) and now they will have to manually edit all their listings in eBay each time - much more difficult.

I also think this will decrease the user experience on eBay. But their choice I guess...

Message 4 of 6
Latest reply

Here is what may be the latest from Ebay

Product Videos

You can include videos from certain video hosting sites in your listing by using the appropriate HTML5 tags in the item description. 

The allowable video hosting sites are:
  • YouTube
  • Vimeo
  • Screencast
  • Kizoa
  • Brightcove
  • Ustream

Example HTML5 code for embedding videos within your item description:

<video width="320" height="240">

<source src="video.mp4" type="video/mp4">

<p>Here is a video of the product</p>

</video>

Mind I don't know alot about html but the above wont work as I believe it needs a full ink
 i have had some one write what should be ok but doesn't work with their test 

I sent a request to Ebay today BUT????

Message 5 of 6
Latest reply

Here is ebays reply on 18/05/17

Note the date

RE: Other SR# 1-115026237686

Hello Robert,

Thanks for contacting eBay about a work around for allowing videos in your item description.

I understand how important it is for you to have video sample in your listing to help buyers to know what you are selling. I do apologise that we still dont have any workaround for that. The reason why eBay removed active content because active content causes delay and viruses in the site that causes technical issues, bug and issues in the website.

One way for you to have videos in your item description is to ad a video link where your buyers can click it and will be routed to different site where the video can be played.

I do apologise if you did not received the answer that you are expecting. Hoping for your consideration and understanding.

Thanks for choosing eBay.
Kind regards,

Rishi T
eBay Customer Service

And my reply

Thanks mate, What a poor outcome for a compay that
proports for a great experiance. Hum Bug

Message 6 of 6
Latest reply