Add fee & final value fee

Hi all,

First time posting as i thought i was getting over charged from ebay as im sure a lot of people do.

I sold a thermo mix for $1000.00 plus $20.00 shipping and received an add fee of of 7.1% on $1000.00 plus gst, total of $78.10 & a final value fee of $124.52 plus gst, total of $136.98. 

So in total i sold the item for $1020.00 & received $776.32 in total for selling the item.

Is this correct? Over 23%

When ebay & paypal were linked i never seem to pay fees this high.

Many thanks

Paul

Message 1 of 9
Latest reply
6 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

If it sold for 1020 and total fees were 136.98 then you should receive 883.02 which is fees of 13.4%

And that sounds right. 

image host

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 9
Latest reply

Normal fees if you don't have a shop subscription are about 14.5% (or 13.4% if you do)

If you promoted the listing, the usual rate is about 7.%, so the combined fees will be over 20%.

Take out the promotion fees for anything else you're selling and your fees will be 14.5%.

Message 3 of 9
Latest reply

OP stated an ad fee. Presumably for a promoted listing. Seems they didn't read the not-very-small print about having to pay additional fees if you opt to promote a listing and select the additional fee you are prepared to pay.

Message 4 of 9
Latest reply

Agree, next to the percentage box it even converts into what $$ you will pay if the items sells via promotion.

I'm not sure why the OP seems surprised to get a fee for the promotion when it is hardly a hidden thing in the listing and which you have to manually tick to activate.

OP is lucky it was only 7.1% - out of curiosity I had a look at what Ebay recommends if I was to promote and some of my listing have a suggested range of anywhere from 8.8% to 13.5%.

Message 5 of 9
Latest reply

I don't even look. Back when I sorted of cared, it was around 5% recommendation. Bracket creep will never decrease that.

I work on the theory that the more mugs who sell through promoted listings, the less competition I have. They either sell and incur an 'unexpected, agreed to fee hit' or they don't. My prices are always ballpark.

Message 6 of 9
Latest reply

Are you talking about a promotion fee.   If so, why promote an item, select the extra percentage you are prepared to pay, and then whinge about the  fees post sale,  just does not make any sense, or do you just think ebay is going to forget to charge you the % you have obligated yourself to pay.

Message 7 of 9
Latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

If it sold for 1020 and total fees were 136.98 then you should receive 883.02 which is fees of 13.4%

And that sounds right. 

image host
Message 2 of 9
Latest reply

Normal fees if you don't have a shop subscription are about 14.5% (or 13.4% if you do)

If you promoted the listing, the usual rate is about 7.%, so the combined fees will be over 20%.

Take out the promotion fees for anything else you're selling and your fees will be 14.5%.

Message 3 of 9
Latest reply

OP stated an ad fee. Presumably for a promoted listing. Seems they didn't read the not-very-small print about having to pay additional fees if you opt to promote a listing and select the additional fee you are prepared to pay.

Message 4 of 9
Latest reply

Agree, next to the percentage box it even converts into what $$ you will pay if the items sells via promotion.

I'm not sure why the OP seems surprised to get a fee for the promotion when it is hardly a hidden thing in the listing and which you have to manually tick to activate.

OP is lucky it was only 7.1% - out of curiosity I had a look at what Ebay recommends if I was to promote and some of my listing have a suggested range of anywhere from 8.8% to 13.5%.

Message 5 of 9
Latest reply

I don't even look. Back when I sorted of cared, it was around 5% recommendation. Bracket creep will never decrease that.

I work on the theory that the more mugs who sell through promoted listings, the less competition I have. They either sell and incur an 'unexpected, agreed to fee hit' or they don't. My prices are always ballpark.

Message 6 of 9
Latest reply

Are you talking about a promotion fee.   If so, why promote an item, select the extra percentage you are prepared to pay, and then whinge about the  fees post sale,  just does not make any sense, or do you just think ebay is going to forget to charge you the % you have obligated yourself to pay.

Message 7 of 9
Latest reply

Thanks everyone for the reply's, i don't remember promoting the listing though i may have accidently hit promote when i was promoting a few other listings. 

Message 8 of 9
Latest reply

Even if you elect to promote an item,  the % you commit to pay, is only payable if the item sells while actually promoted by ebay.

Your sales record will state if the item was sold as a promoted listing or not.

Message 9 of 9
Latest reply