Advice on couriers..

valdoe
Community Member

I am fed up with Australia post.

They seem to be making more profit on my item then I am.

I made a $10 profit on an item and all my items are packed in a satchel and on average weight between 1 to 2 kg

Using C&S calculator I charge according to what it says. . but in the very fine print hidden amongst a sea of type is a clause saying they may cube the parcel, which I believe do not know that.

One parcel I sent today said it cost $20 but when I went to the post office costed me $25. I cannot lower my postage because my competitors are even charging less.. no they did not bump up the price of the item.

I have come to think they may be using couriers.  

I checked fastway and yes they are cheaper but they do not deliver outside cities.. eg they service the Sydney Area but if you send a parcel to Bathurst area they do not cover the area.

I looked at TOLL DHL Star Track Express TNT Toll as per ebay notice.. but will I run into the same problem?

Execpt Fastway the other couriers do not have prices showing on their sites.

Could people that use couriers give me help.

Can you advise who I should be looking at and who to stay away from..

Any help would be appreciated. 

Message 1 of 21
Latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

Re: Advice on couriers..

Look at the date for post number 7 arnl.....

TCT
Message 11 of 21
Latest reply

I was just keeping you on your toes Deja 😛

Doesn’t expecting the unexpected make the unexpected expected?
Message 12 of 21
Latest reply

Yeah sure ! B-)

TCT
Message 13 of 21
Latest reply

Good Afternoon 

I'm sorry to hear you have experienced issues with the cost of posting an item by Click and Send.

The calculator tool is just estimation as we cannot guarantee pricing over the internet as we can't physically weigh the package.

The reason that we take into consideration the cubic weight as well as the dead weight, is that some parcels may be incredibly light, though take up a lot of room in our parcel cages and trucks. For example, if you are sending 1Kg of packing peanuts, the box would take up a lot more room to ship than say a kilo of lead ingots.

Considering both weights when calculating postage allows us to charge both parcels at a fairer rate that takes into account the costs to us of transporting each parcel than using only one or the other would.

I hope this makes sense and helps clear matters up for you.

Deb

Message 14 of 21
Latest reply

Hi Deb,

this is an old thread but while you are here, can I ask you a question?

If the space in the truck is the issue, why is it that AP charges the higher of the two amounts every time ie if the item is small but heavy then the cubing rate is not used but dead weight is, but if the item is light and bulky then the cubing rate applies.

Surely it is one or the other? The size or the weight.

AP wouldn't really want to have a bit each way would they?

Doesn't really seem fair does it?

Message 15 of 21
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

Australia Post charges whatever way they can get the most money for....of course they want to have a bit each way.

Message 16 of 21
Latest reply

Devil's advocate here.

2 tonne of lead ingots would not fill a van up, but anything else would overload it. It seems to me to be a reasonable tradeoff. The vans have a fixed load carrying capacity but they also have a fixed cargo volume. So the better (AP wise) amount would tend towards the average.

Message 17 of 21
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

2 tonnes of lead ingots would fit in our van but we could not deliver it....we would probably write the van off.:^O

We could not deliver 2 tonnes of feathers either as the volume would not fit in.:^O

Message 18 of 21
Latest reply

My point exactly.

Feathers or lead?

Do you know Conrad?

Message 19 of 21
Latest reply

Try deliveranything.com.au 

they are a new delivery service

Message 20 of 21