Advice on item broken in Post

Hi, could I have some advice please. I sent an item well packed but it arrived broken. It is a customer I have dealt with before so I believe that, and I said I was sorry but could they show it to their local post office as if they damaged it there may be $50 compensation. I was not sure what happens as never had anything damaged before in the post. All the threads re this seem to be a few years old. Anyway they emailed back to say sorry they threw it away. I would have $70 to refund, but am so disappointed to get no choice of auspost even seeing it. What would others do in this case please. Thanks    

Message 1 of 13
Latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Refund the buyer.

I am sure you packed it very well but 'not well enough' because it's damaged.

Unless it was obvious a truck drove over it, AP require packages to withstand 10kgs dropped on it from shoulder height or something along those lines before they will consider compensation hence it was not packed well enough according to their standards.

Unfortunately without at least photos of the packaging and damaged item, very difficult to get AP to compensate unless you had it insured.

image host
Message 2 of 13
Latest reply

@justcruising48 wrote:

Anyway they emailed back to say sorry they threw it away. 

What did they throw away? The packaging, the item, or both?

I don't provide options at all if the buyer can not provide evidence of a claim, no matter how many times they've bought from me in the past, and  - if they are saying they threw the item away - to be blunt that is a very common response from someone who isn't being wholly truthful. I've had people say that to me before, but they are never heard from again when I press the issue and advise I can't do anything if they can neither return the item, nor at least send through a photo showing the damage. 

Just to be clear, I'm not saying this means the buyer is definitely lying, but that it just doesn't look good when they say things like that. I don't make any exceptions anymore because I have had regular buyers who never raised so much of a whisper of a problem suddenly seem to decide to lie to me about something and try to get something for free, so now I have the same rules for everyone, and would request a photo of the damage before providing any resolution at all. 

You don't have to approach it in a "pics or it didn't happen" way, I tell buyers that in order to be able to provide the quickest most appropriate resolution, I need to see the extent of the damage (plus it may help give me an idea of what what went wrong, which in turn will help me avoid something similar from occuring in the future). 

Message 3 of 13
Latest reply

I just got the reply sorry I threw it away, so presume they meant the lot as they initially said it was unrepairable when they said it arrived damaged. I initially thought to refund then was a bit concerned when they said it was just thrown away. I did think it normal if something arrived damaged to keep the lot and send a photo to the seller. I did say to them I cannot claim without the packaging and what would they like done but as yet no reply. It is a bit unfair as maybe a truck did run over it and the box was squashed -who knows.

Message 4 of 13
Latest reply

As Maxwell Smart would say ah yes the old I threw it away as it was damaged trick.

If this buyer is as you say someone who you've dealt with before then they should of had the knowledge and the decency of returning the item to you before they could receive a refund or at least show some proof?

Personally I wouldn't believe anyone without proof that something was damaged.

Message 5 of 13
Latest reply

@justcruising48 wrote:

I just got the reply sorry I threw it away, so presume they meant the lot as they initially said it was unrepairable when they said it arrived damaged. I initially thought to refund then was a bit concerned when they said it was just thrown away. I did think it normal if something arrived damaged to keep the lot and send a photo to the seller. I did say to them I cannot claim without the packaging and what would they like done but as yet no reply. It is a bit unfair as maybe a truck did run over it and the box was squashed -who knows.

Even if they had thrown it away, it's difficult to believe it's irretreivable, JMHO. It may not be the most pleasant thing in the world to fish something out of the bin, but they'll never do it again, lol (throw something away and then contact the seller with claims of damage. I mean).

It's just something I have a hard time accepting, because here's the thing - never once have I ever read a story or post from a buyer saying they automatically threw something away because it was damaged and unusable, but now the seller is asking for photos, what can they do? It may have happened, and I might have been blinking that day (or days) and missed those posts, but I'm guessing most of the buyers who found themselves in that situation simply got the item and sent a quick snap, or - perhaps more rarely - if they can't get it back, accepted the consequences of that impulse decision. 

But I have have read literally countless stories written by sellers about evasive buyers who conveniently threw away the item and in the space of doing that, contacting the seller and getting a reply, their rubbish was collected or some other reason is provided for not being able to back up the claim. Or they do provide a photo and it's obviously doctored, or it's tiny and blurry so nothing is visible, some even go so far as to deliberately damage the item but in a way (or place) that doesn't affect it much, if at all. 

I've had messages as well, people ranting and raving about how rubbish my item is and they immediately threw it away or somesuch (my items are a bit difficult to damage in the post, so they usually have to come up with some other reason for warranting the disposal), admittedly that does put me in a bit of a better position to respond with a message along the lines of "I dunno why you did that when you could have returned it for a refund if you didn't like it?" etc, many times these people rely on the seller automatically refunding as a knee-jerk reaction (which happens a lot), before they start to question the vailidity of the claim and it's too late to be convincing in any real way. 

Again, I don't know one way or the other if your buyer is on the level, but from an objective viewpoint, I would say at the very least a couple of questions need to be asked. If no photos are forthcoming, it's a good strategy to ask a series of open questions, and see if any inconsistencies appear in their story, if you get a gut feeling one way or another, I would trust it. 

It sucks that there are a couple of situations for buyers and sellers where they really need to reply on the other party to be willing to assist with the problem. For sellers, it's items damaged in the post, because only the buyer can take the package in for assessment, and there's no consequence for them really if they don't want to. For buyers it's items not received but the package is marked as delivered - a seller can easily refuse to offer any assistance on those, too. 

Message 6 of 13
Latest reply

@kopenhagen5 wrote:

Unless it was obvious a truck drove over it, AP require packages to withstand 10kgs dropped on it from shoulder height or something along those lines before they will consider compensation hence it was not packed well enough according to their standards.

Unfortunately without at least photos of the packaging and damaged item, very difficult to get AP to compensate unless you had it insured.

Just to clarify kopes.....the rules are that the packaging should be able to withstand 22kg being dropped from approximately waist height.  That is, the maximum weight accepted by AP and the waist height is the height of the conveyor belts in the sorting facilities.

Even if parcels are insured that is usually for items going missing as AP does not offer a Fragile service any more.   You have to be very persuasive to get a payout for a broken item.

Message 7 of 13
Latest reply

I do find it odd that a buyer would just automatically throw it away, especially if we are talking of something worth about $70.

I don't think I would be doing any automatic refund either, I think I'd follow DG's guide and ask if they can retrieve it as you need evidence to proceed further.

I'm just thinking of what the reaction would be if I walked into any real store eg K mart, and just said, here's the receipt, I threw it away because it was faulty. Although they are very open to refunds & exchanges,  I presume they would say they needed to see it before they could refund. That's a basic.

Thinking of online buys. Whenever I have had a fault with an item (only a couple of times, but it has happened) I have had to provide photographic evidence and in one case, a return of the item.

The only case I can think of where one of these companies did something with no evidence was for a friend of mine, she bought from Catch & didn't receive one of her small grocery items and let them know & they took her word for it it was missing & replaced it. 

But that was only once out of dozens of buys and it is a different case to having something damaged, which I am sure she would not have thrown out. Consumers these days should know better, that is, if they are looking for a refund.

Message 8 of 13
Latest reply

Just because they've bought from you before doesn't mean you can trust them to be telling the truth this time. Lots of con artists know it's best to build up a reputation before they start scamming. Also, if you're generous to some people they somehow think that makes it okay to steal from you. I'm not saying they are lying but don't just assume they're okay because they've bought from you before.

About 11 years ago I had a box of china worth $200 arrive in pieces. The box wasn't damaged, it was just that the seller had tried to pack too much into the box and had skimped on bubblewrap just a little bit too much. The first thing I did was take a photo as evidence. Even though I'd bought a lot from her before I didn't expect her to just take my word for it.
Message 9 of 13
Latest reply

You would think that a normal person's automatic reaction would be to take a photo-it's not even

something that requires any level of thought really. Throwing away requires thought. JMO

Message 10 of 13
Latest reply