Advise on a refund request.

txsage
Community Member

Hi,

I sold a few second hand google nest speakers this week as a package got $25AUD. Express shipping cost me $16 even though I put down $7, however that's besides the point.

The description and title did not mention anything about them being gen2. I simply stated that they are the Google Next mini speakers. However, in the drop down sections, it somehow auto- filled that they are gen2. I usually never touch this section.

They buy now wants a refund and to send them back.

I just wanted some advice as after a few conversations with the buyer, he does acknowledge some fault as the picture cleared showed that the are gen one, the title and the description also did not say that they are gen 2.

I offered to give him 50% refund and for him to keep the speakers but he's insisting on returning them.

Just wanting to know if I would lose the case with eBay based on that spec technicality?

I mean, who reads the description & title and looks at the pictures but then makes the purchase based on the tech specs without even confirming with the seller?

My final message to the buyer was:

"Yes the autofill is unfortunate but out of the hundreds of items that I have sold and bought on this platform, I would only ever look at the title and actual description for the info and of course the photos provided which also match the title. Sounds like we're both at fault somewhat and I don't need the speakers either. I think that I've advertised them as fairly as possible, listed them pretty cheaply (even for 1st gen) and shipped them express post at $17. If you would like a partial discount then I'll refund 50% of the purchase price whilst also giving you the opportunity to list them yourself if you choose to.. Otherwise, feel free to escalate it to eBay as I just don't have the time nor energy to deal with posting things back right now."

Final buyer message:

" I 

did not notice the second photo you posted which does show the underside and that is a giveaway that it's the older model, i just saw the price and read the description and jumped on them right away thinking they where 2nd gen. I can understand what your saying about auto fill so not 100% your fault, the only issue is i already have the older model and this was an upgrade so don't really need them."

Message 1 of 10
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Advise on a refund request.

If the buyer opens a dispute with eBay under the MBG you would almost certainly lose the dispute, and get a defect on your selling account. It would be best to refund the buyer before that happens and if you want the speakers back you will have to pay the return postage by emailing them a postage label.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 10
Latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

txsage
Community Member

If the buyer opens a dispute with eBay under the MBG you would almost certainly lose the dispute, and get a defect on your selling account. It would be best to refund the buyer before that happens and if you want the speakers back you will have to pay the return postage by emailing them a postage label.

Message 3 of 10
Latest reply

Ok, so you falsely advertised the item, not the buyers fault you are blaming the autofill function,  thats your responsibility.

Give the buyer a full refund,  don't mess them around for your problem.

It is not the buyers fault that you dont '' have the time nor energy to deal with posting things back right now'',  whatever that means.   You had time to advertise it (falsly),  collect the money,  and now are only offering 50% for your mistake.

Message 4 of 10
Latest reply

If the buyer will play.... ask them if you can refund them in full,  but store the speakers for you, then re advertise them for sale. When they sell, send the first buyer the address and via pp enough money to post the speakers to the second buyer.  On another account I mixed up some orders/addresses but was able to get the buyers to repost the items to the correct addresses without returning them to me first. I sent them postal cost plus a bit for their time it was still cheaper than having them returned to me and then reposting to the correct address.

atheism is a non prophet organization
Message 5 of 10
Latest reply

Sellers are responsible for all information in the listing. It's up to you to double check everything to ensure that problems like this do not arise.

I think you have 2 options:

1) Either just refund the buyer in full and let them keep the item if you feel it is not worth getting them back.

2) Send them a shipping label and get the speakers back which you can then re-list correctly.

Unfortunately, either way you're going to be out of pocket but I think that just fully refunding them is going to to be the cheaper of the options.

If you do get them back and you do re-list them, then put in the correct postage amount of what it actually costs. Parcel post costs at least $9.15 so there's no reason you should be out of pocket.

If you sent it Express at your expense, then that's on you. If the buyer asked you to send it as Express, then you should have asked for additional funds to cover the cost.

The buyer does not need an explanation of your situation, nor do they want to go back and forth with you attempting to justify yourself. You do not want the buyer to escalate the case as you will incur a defect for any case that is closed without your resolution/input.

Message 6 of 10
Latest reply

That would put the OP into a situation where they would be totally reliant of the buyer forwarding the parcel for them. Given that the buyer is off-side already they would likely not see it as a priority to do that, so it could end up with being more problems for the OP.

Message 7 of 10
Latest reply

That's fair enough. I usually like to send express post and cover some of the cost.  Normally, not a big deal and sure, it's not relevant to the buyer... Technically speaking, I'm in the wrong and should have checked the tech spec area which was auto filled.  

Buyer also admitted to rushing into the purchase based on a quick glance of the price and tech spec, but I guess when it comes to correct information, regardless of where it is, it's pretty black and white on eBay.

Anyway, I'll just refund the full price and the buyer can throw them out.  Really spent more time on this than I should have. Was merely trying to understand the doltish nature of this purchase.

Thanks for the quick responses.

Message 8 of 10
Latest reply

Already refunded and let them keep the items.

Done and dusted friends.

Cheers.

Message 9 of 10
Latest reply

Nothing doltish about it,  you stuffed up and are trying to get the buyer to wear the pain.

Message 10 of 10
Latest reply