Agressive Buyer Making Threats and Unreasonable demands

I need help I sold a Generator on Ebay this week that was listed as an 11 KVA Generator with close up pictures of the model number and ports etc.

It was listed as pick up only in Melbourne

I sold it to a man in Sydney who insisted on driving 11 hours to come pick it up. When he arrived he accpted the generator and signed an invoice to say he had accpted the item in it's condition and he paid in cash and took it home.

The next day the buyer called saying the Generator was not as described he said i lied about the Kilowatts Amps of the Generator. He claims it's only 8amps

i did not lie on the listing - i used the original advert details and specs from the place I bought it from.

This is were it got disturbing the buyer called my parents a number and made threats to call the Police, His Lawyer etc if we did not meet his demands,

he kept calling over and over bullying my parents (he had their number because they were helping with the sale)

he yelled at my father and was really aggressive

To try to resolve the issue i offered to pay for a courier to collect the generator and bring it back to melbourne but he refused that.

and then i would refund the item once it was returned

The buyer refused the offer

He is demading i refund the cost of the drive to and from his house in sydney. (An 11 hour drive)

And he wants the refund as well for the item

I think these demands are unreasonable - what should i do? Any advise would be appreaciated as i'm not sure how to deal with this guy.

He is one of the worst buyer's weve ever come across.

Message 1 of 23
Latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

Re: Agressive Buyer Making Threats and Unreasonable demands

@electrical-rebuilders-group wrote:

What is your return policy on that item?

When I checked the Sold listing it was 30 day / Refund, BUT my understanding is that with Cash on Pick up, the Return Policy no longer applies as the buyer has the opportunity to inspect and decide not to go ahead, hence my previous post.  I am just not 100% certain and have never experienced this situation myself.

Am hoping someone who has been there, done that, so to speak will drop by and clarify that point for laddybugs peace of mind

Edit  :  Even if Return / Refund does apply, it will still be up to Buyer to return AT HIS EXPENSE in same condition - if he can somehow claim under Australian Law as opposed to eBay Policy - but he did sign dor receipt etc, so as tippy said, he probably wouldn't stand a chance in court & he probably knows that too

Message 11 of 23
Latest reply

Are you sure it is an 11kva as stated in the listing and not an 8kva ?

But even so, with such unruly behaviour, I wouldn't be assisting the buyer now.

He doesn't deserve the respect if he treated your parents so poorly.

image host
Message 12 of 23
Latest reply

The buyer inspected the goods and accepted them As Is. I would not have offered to supply a courier to return it and the very fact he has refused that more than generous offer makes me think he is trying to scam you.

I would not reply to any more emails and if he calls again tell him that you are recording his calls and any further harassment will be reported to the police.

I would then buy a very loud whistle and if he rings again give him a blast..

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 13 of 23
Latest reply

my policy was item was sold as it

but if change of mind from buyer

i would refund if returned within 30 days from the sale date

Message 14 of 23
Latest reply

look im not an expert on generator's ill admit

I used the auction title from the original ebay advert i saw my generator on when i bought it myself

i posted a close up of the model number and I gave the supplier details to the buyer

the photo attached is from the original advert

Message 15 of 23
Latest reply

In that case, I would be only offering the refund as per your listing BUT the buyer needs to return the item.

You are not interesting in helping a person whom abuses, so just take the stand of being professional only, and don't bend.

There appears to be some of the same model 11kva and some 8.4kva.

Perhaps buyer looked it up and seeing as the majority seem to be the 8.4, he thinks it is.

He may have jumped the gun and be incorrect.

Edit - I thought you may have gone from your seller's specs and if you are to communicate any further with your buyer, I would attach that pic in messages. The only ambiguous part is the OSE part.

image host
Message 16 of 23
Latest reply

If they are the ones I am thinking of - he may have since read up on them and be having buyers remorse Smiley Wink

Message 17 of 23
Latest reply

Rating generators in Kva is really a marketing gimmick to make them seem more powerful than they really are.

But your buyer should have done the research and known this before he assumed that 11Kva meant it would deliver 11,000 watts continuously.

Kva has a power factor built into the equation and that is usually about 0.8.

So to get somewhere closer to what it will actually deliver in Watts you have to multiply by the 0.8.

So 11Kva x 0.8 = approx 8,800 watts.

And this may be a peak load for short durations. ie NOT continuous.

What it can deliver safely continuously may be even less than that.

There are very few manufacturers who will state the real actual power their generator can deliver continuously as it makes them appear less powerful than the rest who use Kva.

So I think your buyer has gone away and done his research after he found it would not run his application and is trying to blame you for his technical error of judgement.

In short I would not pander to him especially after his arrogant treatment of your family.

Message 18 of 23
Latest reply

It is possible to redirect incoming calls from selected phone numbers to another number.

I haven't used this feature for a few years now but I'm sure it is still available.

I have used it to redirect threatening/stalking  calls to a Pysch center or the talking clock...and in one case I redirected a pest's mobile calls to their own home phone and visa versa.

Just google Selective Call Forwarding and see if your parent's phone provider has this feature.

You have made a more than generous offer of a courier to collect the generator and this has been rejected so just ignore the buyer from now on and block them from being able to buy from you again or from contacting you in the future.

They will not win any Ebay dispute and can only leave a negative feedback for you at worst.

Message 19 of 23
Latest reply

@laddybug-2011 wrote:

The next day the buyer called saying the Generator was not as described he said i lied about the Kilowatts Amps of the Generator. He claims it's only 8amps

i did not lie on the listing - i used the original advert details and specs from the place I bought it from.

Mr Dazzledayz (Col) replying here.

You are both right and wrong unfortunately.

The problem is the term OSE (Other Seller Equivalent)

@This is not the "Continuous Output" but rather a factored rating @Cos 0.8.

11Kva x 0.08 = 8.8Kva

It probably does produce 11Kva on start up but can only produce the lower output in continuous use (and then not for protracted continuous use).

I you were looking to power heavy draw appliance like a say a big welder, you would need to allow a continuous genset output rating at least 50% greater thatn the appliances requirements.

This is pretty much the same as audio amplifiers, especially in the car domain, where you will often see an amplifier advertised or promoted as providing 1000 Watts output.

Will it produce 1000 Watts? 

Yes and no. The figure is usually the peak power output (or PMPO in audio terms).

Most times the actual RMS output is well below these figures.

So effectively neither of you understood the artificiality of the gensets output rating.

In a perfect world manufacturers wouldn't try to con customers in this way but marketing depts are always looking for an edge.

I'd explain this to your customer and try to come to some sort of agreement.

He needs to take responsibility for not doing his homework before driving to Melbourne (Geez Louise)!

You need to take responsibility for inadvertently misdescribing the output by automatically regurgitating the manufacturers falsehood.

You would win any legal contest but what's the point in that?

Your offer of a courier pickup is more than generous so don't offer more than that.

Message 20 of 23
Latest reply