Any Victorian Sellers Who notice a drop in recent sales??

I'm based in Melbourne and my sales almost dropped near half since last week. This happened after the eBay announcement of helping Victorian sellers during the pandemic. 

The reason may be the increased number of days for ETA for VIctoria based sellers due to the delays of Australia Post. So maybe Victoria-based ads are now less visible to other states, therefore leading to lesser sales.

I just wanted to know if this is something experienced by me or do other sellers in Victoria also see a drop in sales!!

Best regards and stay safe...

Prime

Message 1 of 14
Latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

No drop in sales for us, but a rise in abuse from buyers!
Message 2 of 14
Latest reply

I,m in S.A. and sales have been pretty pathetic for the last week or so. I was going to go to a large auction in the city and buy up some  very rare items to resell, but canned it at the last minute, due to the slow sales. I suspect it depends on what you sell. Essentials are still going well, but discretionary spending has taken a major hit. Buyers are also moving away from expensive items and buying more cheap treat type stuff rather than expensive gems.

The Government released figures yesterday that showed GDP is down over 7% for the April to June quarter ( pre second Victorian lock down ) and private household spending down 12.1 %. These are the largest falls ever recorded, so it must be having some effect on peoples ebay sales, particularly in the discretionary area. Household savings have also dramatically risen ( around 25% from memory ) All money that is not being spent on ebay or anywhere else.

I hate to think what the numbers are showing now with Victoria in its second lock down. ( Those numbers are two months old and a lot has happened since then )

Its time to have a serious think about who you are selling too and what you are offering them. My plan is to offer more essentials and focus more on cheaper items during the next few months. I will also target the older " blokes in sheds " demographic as these guys are usually wealthier and the last ones to tighten their belts when things get tough.

Message 3 of 14
Latest reply

Its also worth remembering that people have been sheltered from the economic effects of COVID by Jobkeeper and double dole ( Jobseeker ). These payments are going to be reduced next month and mortgage breaks from banks and rent reductions from landlords are starting to be reviewed. People are also returning to work after an extended COVID holiday at home and often finding their hours are reduced and casual shifts cancelled.. ( for those who still have a job )

People will be going in for meetings with bank managers and landlords in the next few weeks and are finally having to face up to the reality of the situation.

The COVID party with " free money for everyone"  is coming to an end and the reality of the situation is starting to sink in !!!

Message 4 of 14
Latest reply

We are in Victoria and our sales have slowed, but oddly the ones coming through have been from Victoria. I think buyers are ordering from sellers as near as possible to minimise delivery time. But in saying that some of our deliveries are going via Sydney !
Message 5 of 14
Latest reply

danieh_6 'No drop in sales for us, but a rise in abuse from buyers!' (sorry, can someone please remind me how to quote people on this board!?)

really? frustrated locked up Melbournians? may i ask what exactly they're saying?

whatever the case i hope you report them to Ebay, there's really no excuse. Although i guess Ebay demographics somewhat reflect the general population & it is happening in the streets too. I have a friend who is unable to wear a mask for medical reasons & has copped people yelling at her to put her mask on etc.

And i remember at the start of it all when people thought it was a 'Chinese virus', there was a lot of reports on the news of racial abuse towards Asian people. I guess there are just angry people out there who will find an excuse to abuse people no matter what.

Message 6 of 14
Latest reply

The other day I paid a couple dollars more for an item from SA instead of a cheaper identical one from VIC because of the postal delays. Sorry VIC.
Message 7 of 14
Latest reply

Yes, but your parcel missed out on a multi state holiday road trip. Victorian parcels get to go places the locals can't !
Message 8 of 14
Latest reply

Yes, I am in Victoria. My Sales in my selling account  have slowed down also. I have had sales in Victoria also; but all have slowed to nearly stopped.

Message 9 of 14
Latest reply

Just a risk in people trigger happy on INR, or like abusing us for delays or accusing us of not sending items etc. Or think there is no delays.

Main point is the buyers think we have some magical wand that can control and force Auspost to deliver their items.
Message 10 of 14
Latest reply