Anyone had an INR lately? Holding funds despite valid tracking

Had an INR today - buyer acknowledged in eBay messages that it's showing as delivered but says they don't have it (another issue entirely ...)

It was a tracked letter, so I pasted the tracking number from the order page into the dispute and uploaded, also noting that I have the receipt and postal voucher proving the address. I was keen to have it closed because I always hear so many horror stories about disputes being resolved in a buyer's favour despite the selling following all the rules, so when it didn't automatically close with the tracking, I jumped on the chat with the idea that CS could manually close it.

Nope - apparently it's a new rule that your funds are held for 3 days regardless of whether you upload valid tracking or not, so that the buyer and seller can "resolve" the issue. Huh? There is nothing to resolve. My job was to ensure that the item the buyer purchased was delivered to their specified address, and it was, so ... ?

Here's what CS said:

"Usually cases gets closed when valid tracking is found. But recently we did update some of our guidelines under which when a request is filled it remains open for 3 business days to allow time to resolve the issue mutually. Within this time frame system will not allow us to take action on the case. This was updated because some seller previously added false tracking allowing to manipulate guideline resulting unfair resolution. This is the reason why we updated the system. But do not worry I can confirm the tracking you have shared is valid and we will close this case once 3 business days timeframe is over. This will not affect your selling performance. I hope you understand we can not ignore our guidelines."

BTW this has nothing to do with funds being held because I'm a new seller - I've been here for 20 years and have never had my funds held. It's just this random new thing they're doing. Good times.

Message 1 of 26
Latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

Re: Anyone had an INR lately? Holding funds despite valid tracking

@jellybirddesigns wrote:

Sending a replacement is not a valid means of resolving a case, but I'm glad they closed it anyway.

Exactly - as I told CS, it was completely irrelevant. It was just something I offered to do for my buyer because I had the impression that she was genuine and it was a low value item. I was under no obligation to do that but they acted as if the entire case depended on the buyer receiving my (voluntary) replacement ...

It honestly is alarming that eBay CS is like this - I hate to imagine how many new or casual sellers get taken for a ride by their misinformation. This isn't even the worst problem I've had with them in the past fortnight. You bet I've been typing up a STORM in those CS email feedback forms (not that it'll make any difference, but it makes me feel better)

Message 21 of 26
Latest reply

@cft207 wrote:

Hello, and yes.

Had $460 refunded to a buyer today, being the same day the valid tracking number showed item on board for delivery.

Tracking number was linked to the eBay sale the day it was paid for, and when con note generated. That was 8th August.

Took a bit too long to arrive though carriers are understandably stating delays due to lockdowns, and it was going to a small coastal town.

Tracking number always did show progressive movement of the parcel until it was delivered today.

It would seem their refund system doesn't bother to check on tracking numbers.

You should definitely be able to get that fixed up - if you are sending to/from any of the states in lockdown, then there are certain protections in place for delays, too - check the announcements for details (although as an aside, I personally think this protection should apply to all states while lockdowns are a possibility - it's sooo confusing how you're covered if you're sending [state] between this date and that date, but not after this other date, and etc)

Message 22 of 26
Latest reply

It should be all sorted once this refund comes back through but it's just more time consuming jumping through hoops for sellers when all the requirements are right in front of their faces.
Only if they cared to pay someone to look.

Message 23 of 26
Latest reply

I have had similar in the last 3 weeks everything done as per eBay premium seller requirements. at the end of 3 days eBay refunded the customer (who hasnt collected the goods from their post office) eBay claim its out of their hands yet they hit me with a full client refund AND $22.00 penalty fine! eBay are not checking their data before acting. I am still waiting on responses. 

My eBay account has 1974 positive feedbacks  plus 100% positive status, zero negative or neutral, as a premium seller with supposed seller protections, none of which are worth anything if this is the way they are going to treat their sellers. Yes I am frustrated, I have currently pulled all items from eBay as this is not a way I can conduct business.

Message 24 of 26
Latest reply

cft207
Community Member

I'd have thought Gospel Truth somewhere up the top, then as we go down the laws of men, constitutions, common law etc. with common sense entwined amongst them all. Of course we have to allow for ebay's "policies" & "guidlines" given we subscribe to use their platform.

I just think eBay get's their priorities wrong, and sometimes it looks as if they do so for as long as they can get away with it.

How on earth can an automated 3 day INR across the board refunding schedule be justified by the reasoning they are giving you , ( "because some seller previously added false tracking"), and during a time of widespread lockdows and advertised delivery delays.

With current truck drivers stoppage I can see this issue may be about to concern more sellers.

Message 25 of 26
Latest reply

That is an option but if I'm buying something and see a 5 day handling time then that's a definite deterrent for me to buy from that seller.

It is also not true. Without being a stickler we shouldn't have to post false information just to navigate their seemingly flawed system.

Because I had other sales and related sales fees eBay subtracted that from the buyers initial $460 payment - (then held in managed payments), eBay then drew further funds from my linked bank account to cover refund amount. 

As of 28th I receive phone call from honest customer to state that they indeed have the full $460 back in their eBay linked St George bank account and would like to be able to send me the $460 , whether by direct bank transfer or direct Paypal, both outside of eBay.

I told them not to at this stage because now , at same time customer has ALL money in their bank account, eBay webpage is showing eBay has the $460 on hold. eBay have been showing this on account page from BEFORE point in time customer verified all money bank in personal bank account.

To quote Mr Biden  : "C'mon man"

What an unecessary run around for everyone involved.

Message 26 of 26
Latest reply