Applying flat rate shipping to an existing listing

I have made a few listings, and discovered only after the fact that one needs to specifically set up postage rules for shipping discounts on bulk purchases. Following https://www.ebay.com.au/help/selling/posting-items/postage-rates/postage-discounts?id=4168&mkevt=1&m... I have created a flat rate postage rule "Add an amount for each additional item", and checked "Free postage", which I understand should allow a buyer to purchase any number of items for a fixed shipping cost. Having done this, I've gathered that I also need to apply the rule to the listings I've already made.

The instructions, and a few community posts I've read, seem to imply that the option to apply a flat rate postage rule should be available when revising a listing, but none of my listings (with flat rate shipping options only). I've searched (ctrl+f) though the page, and matches for the word "Apply" simply appear not to exist.

I'm worried that I might have severely misunderstood something. If I'm offering 10 identical items for sale, and want a buyer to be able to order 1, 2 or 8 but only pay a fixed shipping cost irrespective of the quantity, what is the proper procedure to follow, given that the listing already exists?

Message 1 of 6
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

This is where it should be located on a listing form, where the account does not have business policies in place, though there are a few different versions of the listing form (some have fewer options, if yours doesn't look anything like this, look for a link to switch to advanced listing tools or similar). 

Edited to add - I'm actually being quoted $10.35 for 2 and $13.15 for 3 on the hard drive.

postage rule application.PNG

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 6
Latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

I use Business/Postage Policies and I have my first item set up at $10.20. and then every listing that uses THAT policy will have an additional $1.00 added (in the same postage line). If I only want the buyer to pay the first $10.20 amount and nothing else, regardless of how many they buy, then I would not put in a figure in the second box.

Offering free postage means exactly that - the buyer will pay nothing and you will bear the cost.

Hopefully I have understood you correctly.

Can you give an item number and I'll go have a look.

Message 2 of 6
Latest reply

Sorry, just realised the items you have listed are the multiples you're referring to.

Message 3 of 6
Latest reply

Hey, thanks for the quick reply. 224784718918 is one listing I have with two shipping options, standard and express (both flat rate, buyer pays). Right now if I calculate the shipping cost for any purchase quantity, the shipping cost is multiplied by that quantity, but I would like the shipping cost to be the same for any quantity purchased (or, alternatively, each additional item should only incur a small additional shipping fee). I'm happy to bear the extra cost (I know what the maximum will be even if one were to purchase all of the stock I'm offering).

I've tried to set up my postage discounts through https://www.ebay.com.au/ship/prf, I'm completely uninformed on business / postage policies, but my understanding is that I shouldn't need anything of the sort.

Message 4 of 6
Latest reply

This is where it should be located on a listing form, where the account does not have business policies in place, though there are a few different versions of the listing form (some have fewer options, if yours doesn't look anything like this, look for a link to switch to advanced listing tools or similar). 

Edited to add - I'm actually being quoted $10.35 for 2 and $13.15 for 3 on the hard drive.

postage rule application.PNG

Message 5 of 6
Latest reply

Thank you! It seems I was using some kind of basic listing tool - I just discovered Seller Hub through http://www.ebay.com.au/sh/landing and now have access to the listing tool pictured. All the instructions and posts start making much more sense now - looks like I was wrong about not needing the business tool after all.

Message 6 of 6
Latest reply