Are bid retractions recorded in buyer history?

Quick question to more experienced sellers: just had my first bid retraction, would like to know, is this kind of activity recorded in the buyer's profile? I can see the retraction in the history of the bid but not when I click the retracting bidder's profile.

Message 1 of 20
Latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

Re: Are bid retractions recorded in buyer history?

Copied and pasted, thank you Nova 😄

You can't please all the people all the time, so now I just please myself

Message 11 of 20
Latest reply

Copied and pasted, thank you Nova 😄

you are most welcome 🙂 

I have to say that in past any advice was usually taken in the spirit it was meant = to help the newbie. 

000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Voltaire: “Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities” .
Message 12 of 20
Latest reply

It's pretty annoying from a buyer's point of view when a seller retracts an item after auction closes, too, must say

I bid and won.  There were several other bidders.  Shortly after auction end, emailed seller in friendly fashion asking for pick-up address and contact phone no., etc

Seller responded after a while asking me to agree to a mutual cancellation of transaction.  I already suspected from the length of time it took for seller to contact me that something was up

My response was to say, politely, that I DID wish to proceed with the transaction

Message arrived showing seller had sought to cancel the sale under 'Other'.  My response was sought by ebay.  I chose to decline mutual agreement to cancel transaction

Waited for 'adjudication' or whatever.  I'd said that I'd won the item fairly against other bidders and wished to proceed.  I didn't believe for one moment the reason provided by the seller as to why the item 'was no longer available'.  I suspected and still do that the reason seller wouldn't proceed was because she hadn't received as much as she'd wanted for the item.  In which case, she needed to learn that putting a realistic start-price and paying the appropriate fees for that was the way to go -- rather than listing for 99 cents and hoping to reap several hundred dollars

I waited to hear from ebay or seller.  Nothing.  Then, several days later while clearing Ended items from my Watchlist, I saw a little red message beneath the item still under 'adjudication' supposedly

Clicked the little red message, to learn that ebay had cancelled the transaction.  Reason given by ebay:  ' Because you declined to mutually agree to cancel the transaction '

Well thanks ebay and seller.  Ebay got its fees presumably, so why would it care.  Seller got to keep the item which hadn't produced the required dollar amount, imo.  And I, just a seller who doesn't pay fees, had my time wasted by both ebay and the seller

I'd trawled the tens of thousands of items for sale, taking several hours over several days.  I'd waited throughout several days, checking bids on the item in question and ignoring other, similar items.  I'd scheduled my day around the auction-ending time.  I'd sat there in concentration as the minutes ticked down.  I'd placed my final bid and manually sniped.  All for nought.  Only to learn that my time and interest counted for nothing as far as ebay is concerned.  Seller could have retracted the item several hours before the auction end, but didn't.  Didn't intend to honour the transaction and wailed to ebay who said, 'Hey, it's ok.  Don't sell it if you don't want to.  Just give us what you owe us.  To hell with those bidders whose time you and ebay wasted.  Who the hell are bidders and buyers, anyway.  YOU're the man -- YOU're the Seller -- YOU're the one we pull money out of.  Stuff bidders and buyers and have a nice day  🙂

And THEN ebay removes Neg Feedback left for such people

and they wonder why ebay's on its knees

Message 13 of 20
Latest reply

jorija
Community Member

As a seller, I have never, and wouldn't like to, retracted an item from sale, but have a look at this scenario:

I put up nine items which started at $5-$15 each. I get bids from one person, then another comes along, pushing the price up higher and higher until it exceeds the maximum the first bidder was prepared to pay, about 10x - 15x the starting price, was revealed to all. The second bidder then retracted all his bids, leaving the item with the starting bid of about $5-$15 - and everyone who was watching now knows what they will have to bid beat the first bidder. These auctions are therefore now "poisoned" because subsequent bidders know just how high they have to go and are not prepared to start bidding. Instead of a healthy number of people, bidding the initial bidder will now have the field basically to himself to secure the item at a much reduced price. He may get competition from buyers who weren't watching the auction over the past 5 days, or those who are prepared to go even higher than his limit, but certainly most buyers in the watch list will have given up on the item if they can't afford the highest bid seen.

On the 9 lots I stand to lose over $500 in potential bid value. The only "saving grace", if it can be called that, is that the bidder pushing the price up has bid on many other items of mine, and left the bids in place.

You wouldn't blame me if I pulled those 9 items, would you? Then I could put the second bidder on my BB list and re-offer the items in a fairer bidding climate.

Really, eBay needs to look at doing what another auction site I use does - limiting bidders to a very small number of bid retractions per month, so that if you GENUINELY need to retract a bid TRULY in error (ie you bid 1050 instead of 10.50) you can do so, but you can't pull scams like this.

Message 14 of 20
Latest reply

D E A D  T H R E A D  !!!!!!!!!!!!

TCT
Message 15 of 20
Latest reply

Just as a seller can cancel a sale a buyer can retract a bid.

When life gives you lemons.
Squeeze them into people's eyes
Message 16 of 20
Latest reply

jorija
Community Member

D E A D  T H R E A D  !!!!!!!!!!!!

That's as may be, but this is FAR from a dead problem! Is it preferable to start a new thread on a continuing problem? I wouldn't have thought so.

Message 17 of 20
Latest reply

Yes it's quite normal to open a new thread.

TCT
Message 18 of 20
Latest reply

Bring this up again as i cant see on the buyers feedback how many times they have retracted a big , i know this post is old but its starting to become an annoyance people retracting their bid 5-6 days later.

Please assist where i can look for how many times this buyer has retracted his or her bids.

Message 19 of 20
Latest reply

OK the damage is done you posted on a dead thread so for you to see how many bid retractions a bidder has just click onto their bidding ID and it will show their bidding history for the last 30 days and how many bid retractions they have in the past 6 months.

And if bidders are retracting bids why don't you put them on your blocked list?

Message 20 of 20
Latest reply