Are pick-up sales covered by seller protection?

I suspect not, as there is no proof of postage/delivery. I've just had a potential buyer ask if he can pick up in person, but I'm reluctant as I would not be covered if he later decides to report the items as not received.

I suggested to eBay many years ago that pick-up sales should have a special code sent to buyer and seller that is mutally ticked off online on the completion of a sale. Pretty sure that never happened.

Message 1 of 7
Latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Re: Are pick-up sales covered by seller protection?

No, not if buyer pays cash and picks up item.

But Paypal have recently changed their policy to provide protection on pick up items IF buyer pays with Paypal before picking up.

image host
Message 2 of 7
Latest reply

Thanks Kopenhagen, I didn't know that. But how does it work? Does Paypal require some kind of proof of delivery/receipt?

Message 3 of 7
Latest reply

PayPal's schedule 1 - https://www.paypal.com/au/webapps/mpp/ua/useragreement-full#int_Schedule_1

It still states pick up items not covered but perhaps it's an addendum somewhere. 

I can't find the new policy to pick up's in user agreement but it came in effect last year.

http://community.ebay.com.au/t5/Selling/Selected-local-pickup-paid-with-PayPal-and-no-contact-yet/m-...

I am assuming the PayPal protection on pick up items refers only to INAD and not INR.

Personally I would refund any PayPal payment on pick up and instruct the buyer to pay cash for his protection.

image host
Message 4 of 7
Latest reply

Thanks for that extra info. It does indeed state that seller protection does not apply in a pick-up transaction.

Cash would be preferable on pickup, then again we are required to accept Paypal if that's what the buyer wants to do.

I'd just as soon tell the person that pick up is not available, even if they live next door. A shame eBay never implemented the buyer/seller mutual code check-off system, wouldn't be hard.

Message 5 of 7
Latest reply

Seller protection????  There is no seller protection on ebay.  It's phalacy they push to have you believe there is.  There is no protection for sellers on ebay!  If there was, they would let sellers leave proper and correct feedback on buyers!

Message 6 of 7
Latest reply

while i get you're probably extremely annoyed with the system in some aspects - there actually IS seller protection via paypal on ebay.

i've had buyers do chargebacks in the past, as well as claims of "items not received" - and regardless of whether the bank /paypal has paid the buyer out, paypal has reimbursed money to me under the seller protection policy. 

Message 7 of 7
Latest reply