As a novice Ebay user I have just received an email to say that my item has sold but there is no cre

As a n ovice Ebay user I have jsut recived and email to say that my item has sold but there is no credit in my pay pal account. Do I need to send an invoice? The buyer wants to know when he can pick up the item. Thanks for advice.

Message 1 of 11
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

As a novice Ebay user I have just received an email to say that my item has sold but there is no cre

If it is a pick up item the buyer should pay you in cash (or bank cheque) once they have come and inspected the item.

There is no paypal protection on pick up, and the buyer is free to walk away without purchasing if they do not like it on inspection.

Message your buyer and advise them of the best time to pick up from you, or pull the contact details and give them a call.

You can't please all the people all the time, so now I just please myself

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 11
Latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

If it is a pick up item the buyer should pay you in cash (or bank cheque) once they have come and inspected the item.

There is no paypal protection on pick up, and the buyer is free to walk away without purchasing if they do not like it on inspection.

Message your buyer and advise them of the best time to pick up from you, or pull the contact details and give them a call.

Message 2 of 11
Latest reply

garrcc
Community Member

Hiya

if the customer is picking up the item - they pay prefer to pay cash on pick up. if you are sure that they are picking the item up - send the invoice without any postage costs.

cheers

Message 3 of 11
Latest reply

Hi toots 🙂

Even if you get a message to say your item has sold, it won't necessarily mean that it has been paid for yet. Send an invoice to the buyer in case they are waiting for it. When the payment has gone in, Paypal will notify you and you will also get notification from Ebay, then you can arrange the pickup with your buyer.

Message 4 of 11
Latest reply

Is the buyer free to walk away as you said? I thought that even if it's a pick up item, you commit to buy, not to inspect, when you bid.
Message 5 of 11
Latest reply

GC is correct, since there's no PayPal protection on pick-up items, the buyer has the freedom to walk away from the deal if the item is not as described, and cash on pick-up is the best way to go. (no charge-backs if a credit card was used to pay etc)

Hi GC........................

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 6 of 11
Latest reply

@letscleanupmycupboards wrote:
Is the buyer free to walk away as you said? I thought that even if it's a pick up item, you commit to buy, not to inspect, when you bid.

You are correct that pick ups are a contract to purchase, the same as any other. If the buyer inspects and walks away, You can lodge a non payment dispute and have a strike issued against the buyer, the same as any other transaction. The contract would also be enforcable by law, but how many people want to go down that path ?

Message 7 of 11
Latest reply

Yeah sorry cleaning - I worded it incorrectly - should the buyer find fault or damage etc they can walk away.

It is a bit of a tricky one, especially when cars etc are involved - who is going to CTB a car for $15K sight unseen, so most serious buyers will contact the seller prior to bidding or hitting BIN and ask to view before committing, that way the seller still has the item listed should the potential buyer not purchase after inspection.

Message 8 of 11
Latest reply

Agreed, if it's totally not right you can walk however they can still get narky at you. Incidentally I bought my last car BIN sight unseen for $6k and I'm very happy with it. Seller was awesome, went to heaps of trouble post purchase and unexpected expense to roadworthy it, even delivered to my workplace for pickup. I asked beforehand if he was ok for me to walk if any part of the description was inaccurate and I'd clicked BIN and he was happy with that. Then offered to meet halfway the next day so I could take a look and make sure I was happy.

Ok so that was the exception not the rule.

On the flip side greencat, there is potential for someone to turn up, decide to buy and the seller closes the listing down meaning no fvf for eBay. How many would turn up, inspect, then go online and buy it? I'd say eBay will eventually try to curb this by cutting any and all contact details in listings. They already cut email addresses from messages, even when you try to hide them in there.
Message 9 of 11
Latest reply

You can currently get away with it if you send your contact details as a jpeg attachment.
Message 10 of 11
Latest reply