As a seller, if eBay closed down tomorrow, what would you do?

I know it is unlikely, but it's not impossible. Bigger companies than eBay have fallen, dissolved or just stopped operating.

or even on a smaller scale, if eBay stopped you (as an individual) trading tomorrow.

Some sellers rely on the income derived from their eBay Selling accounts, perhaps not realizing, that they have no lease or guaranteed length of future tenure and no guarantee that they will even be trading next week.

I doubt that a bank would lend money based on income derived from eBay unless it was atatched to a B&M store, but even then, could not see them giving too much credence to those sales.

And the reality is, that you have very little to sell, just the cost price of existing stock, no lease, no fixed assets such as a building, no intangible assets, no transferable goodwill and no transferable reputation.

When you look at it like that, it's not really a very stable or reliable source of income, is it?

Some people can go their whole lives and never really live for a single minute.
Message 1 of 39
Latest reply
38 REPLIES 38

Re: As a seller, if eBay closed down tomorrow, what would you do?

The value is in the land, true.

But the land from a buyer's perspective is tied to the running concern for a farm.

If the farm is financially weak, the land's value in real terms will fall as it would fail to attract buyers as a going concern.

It could not be readily turned to another money making enterprise, such as a property development in the short term, and depending on the location and restrictions, possibly ever...just thinking of an alternate source of income from the land that could attract a buyer.

So if the business fails, the value of the tangible asset is also likely to fall.

A bank considers this when extending a loan, increasing a loan, or calling it in.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buttercup: You mock my pain! Man in Black: Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something.
Message 31 of 39
Latest reply

Digi and Crikey,

Have you considered that any messages in the titles of images might be being "ignored" to see how far they will go?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buttercup: You mock my pain! Man in Black: Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something.
Message 32 of 39
Latest reply

@amber-eyed-girl wrote:
Digi and Crikey,

Have you considered that any messages in the titles of images might be being "ignored" to see how far they will go?

Yes... 😄

But I haven't been game enough to test the theory, and I don't want to spoil it for everyone else if it changes how files are uploaded and named. Smiley Embarassed

Message 33 of 39
Latest reply

From you Digi I would expect the link to a relevant song 🙂

Message 34 of 39
Latest reply

@amber-eyed-girl wrote:

Why didn't I think of that? Smiley Surprised 

Message 35 of 39
Latest reply

@amber-eyed-girl wrote:
Digi and Crikey,

I hadn't.

but good thought

*goes and removes all those naughty words that I just changed the filename to* LOL

Message 36 of 39
Latest reply

@amber-eyed-girl wrote:

link?

Message 37 of 39
Latest reply

@amber-eyed-girl wrote:
Digi and Crikey,

plus

Improper use of technology.gif

Message 38 of 39
Latest reply

Just going back to the bank loan discussion, every loan is assessed for risk and if the loan is approved then the interest payable and the length of the loan reflect the risk.

Very high risk loan = very high interest and short duration

Very low risk loan = very low interest and long duration.

Of course some of these loans can be negotiated at the individual level but the above used to be the general rule.

Message 39 of 39
Latest reply