Asked to end item early.

I just had a buyer msg me asking would I end an item and sell it them for $10 including postage,item is listed for $10 with $8.30 postage.I replied do you mean you only want to pay $10 and want free postage as when its all added up I will be losing money.Reply was just put it in smaller bag wouldn't weigh more than 250gms then halve your cost works out $10.I told her if she didn't like the price and postage don't bid on it,she said I was being greedy and unresonable.Item never sold but auto relisted so no skin off my nose.Have others had this happen and was I being unreasonable.

Message 1 of 26
Latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

Re: Asked to end item early.

Yes, I've had it happen and I got abused because I said no. Mine was a $16.99 auction with $8 postage. They offered $8 and free postage. What the? I asked them if they were serious. Yeah, they were. Then they proceeded to give me a face full of abuse. I reported it to eBay and they were NARU a week later. I'm guessing I wasn't the only one that got abused. My item relisted and sold the next cycle for $30.

Normally I am happy to end an auction early if the buyer asks, especially if they are interested in a few things and don't want to wait for all the auctions to finish over the course of the week. Even more happy if it's something that has repeatedly relisted over and over and over. As soon as anyone tries to cut the price down, all deals are off.

Message 2 of 26
Latest reply

They clearly are very out of touch with Australia Post prices and services, and weighing under 250g means nothing when an item has to go as a parcel (i.e. 5 grams costs as much as 500 grams to post, and even if we're talking a letter here, it still doesn't mean P&H can be halved just cos the buyer says so.... ).

Secondly, even if you could have halved the cost of postage, that means they were only offering $5.85 for the $10 item, or asking for a 41.5% discount. 

So, no, I don't think you were being unreasonable at all. Personally I'd rather an item went unsold than to sell it for a pittance (or lose money), especially to someone who I feel is being rude.

When I first started selling on eBay, I listed mostly collectibles as auctions and would often get messages asking me if I had a 'Buy It Now' price. Standard answer was always 'No, I'll be letting the auction run its course". Members often though they could tempt the seller with a guaranteed sale price and get an item for less than it would sell for at auction this way, and I can only say I never once regretted my decision to decline these offers, no matter the outcome of the auction. 

Message 3 of 26
Latest reply

She just msg me saying" well you didn't sell it did you, next time don't be greedy".Think she will be going on the special list.

Message 4 of 26
Latest reply

Think?

You're very forgiving.

I don't do auctions, for this and many other reasons. I don't have 'best offer' on most of my stuff. The ones I do I have auto-accept and -reject on. I don't entertain unsolicited offers. Simple. Especially the bit about auctions.

Message 5 of 26
Latest reply

I thought about for all of 30 seconds and shes on there.

Message 6 of 26
Latest reply

For my bit I would

Thank her for her comments and wish her luck in finding another item from Ebay for the price she is after!!

Long time waiting I would think.

and if she wants to come back it will be on your terms

Message 7 of 26
Latest reply

Some people have a strange idea of greedy.  I was told I was being greedy by one of the locals recently because I grabbed heaps of lemons off branches that he was about to take to the tip!  Smiley Surprised  

I'd be really tempted to tell your buyer, sure, you'll halve the price - which half of the item would they like-  back, front, left, right?  Smiley Very Happy

I've had a few people ask lately whether there are any discounts for buying more than one.  The first item was already marked down to two-thirds of my normal price.  I was polite and said no, and she ended up buying all I had (5).  The next one I blocked because I think it's just plain rude when I have nothing about offers or discounts in my store.  She wrote back and said "not sure why you've blocked me".  I didn't bother replying.  The latest one I just quoted the total price for what I had left and ignore her question on 'extra' discounts.

I had someone make me an offer (through a message) and when it hadn't sold a month later they offered again.  I think I ignored them the second time and was really glad when someone else bought it soon after.  If someone was as rude as your buyer I'd block them, but some will open a new account to get around the block.  They're not allowed to do it but it's hard to prove it was them.  Take note of the suburb that shows in the email where they ask a question and you'll have a fair idea whether it's them.

Message 8 of 26
Latest reply

@jimmyjoejoe_jnr wrote:

She just msg me saying" well you didn't sell it did you, next time don't be greedy".Think she will be going on the special list.

Ugh, I really dislike these kinds of self-righteous messages from people... The ones that have an "I told them!" kind of tone to them, while they actually couldn't be more off-base. 

As in, they were told it was impossible to reduce the price, and that the seller would lose money if they provided the item at the price they asked for, and yet somehow the seller is the greedy one.

unimpressed

(I had someone lecture me after I told them I couldn't do something they wanted, they even said "no, it's not that you can't, you're just choosing not to", I just sat there reading that wondering how they knew better than me what I physically can and can't do Smiley LOL ). 

Message 9 of 26
Latest reply

Yes, this is always a dilemma for sellers, when someone messages you via eBay and makes a crazy low offer.

All my items are listed as Buy it Now at the minimum price I want, taking into account eBay and Paypal fees, income tax and the real kicker for businesses, which is GST.

None have Make an Offer on them. I wish eBay could better educate buyers, that if an item does NOT have make an offer on it, then DO NOT make an offer..

Does one reply to crazy low offers? If you do, it often starts a fight, if you don't, it looks rude.

Had one the other day. $100 coin, offered $50 AND expected free postage and ended the email with "Please reply soon"

I put them on my BBL, as just sensed they would be trouble and did not reply.

I feel bad about it, but past experience has taught me to ignore and block miserable low ball chisellers who usually turn out to be nothing but trouble.

Had it happen before. They make a ridiculous offer, you say no, then they buy it at the price listed and start a fight, saying the quality is not what they expected, they want a partial refund, etc, etc.

All this is part of business, I suppose, but it doesn't help your stress levels much..

Message 10 of 26
Latest reply