Message 1 of 30
Latest reply
29 REPLIES 29

Re: Astronomical postage costs are killing sales

Same goes for their people.  haha

Message 21 of 30
Latest reply

the harder they make it, the more I'm inspired to learn, come up with new ideas and hopefully build something that won't be shaken up by a glitch here or a price rise there.

My sentiments too, adapt or go under. That has always been the way with ebay and most other things in life.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 22 of 30
Latest reply

I havent increased my postage cost yet because I know it will kill sales ! Have been using Fastway couriers as trial this week it hasnt been too bad no complaints yet with their  services and majority of customers are getting express shipping for the $8.00  hoping they will not increase their prices eithere !

Message 23 of 30
Latest reply

It is interesting that buyers bid on items and then don't pay when the invoice arrives with the already exorbitant Auspost costs. How will it be when the post is increased??

The up to 500g cost is ridiculous and incredibly greedy. There must be a HUGE profit there.

These costs will kill off the home downsizers and hobby sellers, which probably make up the bulk of sellers.

So it looks like sellers will revert to selling at markets and garage sales, as there is always an alternative, when one gets ripped off. I felt that ebay should have stood by the sellers and argued a case for not putting up the postage. Very disappointing to me as I am downsizing and losing sales on under 500g because of the already high postage costs.

I dont charge for packing as I use my own recycled and shredded paper, so I cannot do any more to keep costs down. I feel it is very unfair.

If sales drop off, the post offices business will drop off, then workers will be put off. Unfortunately people don't think outside the box. Just live in the moment

Message 24 of 30
Latest reply

chezzy
Community Member

Interesting - I was wandering around a market on the weekend and I overheard the word eBay numerous times. So I think these issues are being talked about outside the forums too.

My motivation to sell again on eBay is waning a little, what with the postal issues and Turbo Lister issues, but using other sites or courier services is not going to eliminate problems - they will have their own set of issues and inconveniences.

Message 25 of 30
Latest reply

If it's local and you deliver it and the person has paid via paypal you are not protected as the seller. Someone could turn around and say they didn't get it. Just terrible, all these price increases doesn't make it feasible to sell smaller items at all. 

Message 26 of 30
Latest reply

{{{Interesting - I was wandering around a market on the weekend and I overheard the word eBay numerous times. So I think these issues are being talked about outside the forums too.

My motivation to sell again on eBay is waning a little, what with the postal issues and Turbo Lister issues, but using other sites or courier services is not going to eliminate problems - they will have their own set of issues and inconveniences.}}}

I wonder if that is the reason for my website suddenly having a few sales, which is a few huge improvement from virtually none. I haven't updated the postage on my own site yet.  ?:|

Message 27 of 30
Latest reply

I felt that ebay should have stood by the sellers and argued a case for not putting up the postage.

sure, eBay transactions account for a lot of posted items in Australia, but probably not a major % of items processed by Australia Post.

To think that eBay could successfully lobby AP to stop price increases is just fantasy.  After all, the argument could be put that the impending eBay fee increases is going to be more harmful to sellers, as buyers pay the postage and sellers pay eBay fees!

I wonder if AP are standing by their customers (eBay sellers) and arguing a case for eBay to not increase their fees?

Message 28 of 30
Latest reply

I do not think it is just eBay that sales have slumped.  I had something that I needed to get rid off; strictly pick up only item (so nothing to do with postage cost), and as I wanted it out of my way, I offered it at give away price on my website before Easter.  In the past I have done similar (not anywhere so cheap) and was absolutely flooded with response - well, this time I had not a one enquiry.  Then friend saw it and snapped it up; but just from interest, I left it on my website for another week - still no response!

000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Voltaire: “Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities” .
Message 29 of 30
Latest reply

Our B&M sales have increased substantially, whereas in contrast our ebay sales have nose dived. It has gone from 80% Ebay / 20% B&M to 85% B&M / 10% website / 5% ebay.  People are just not buying off ebay like they once did, simple.

Message 30 of 30
Latest reply