Auctions only ever receive one bid now

I just scrolled down my auction results from the last lot of ebay freebies. I had 17 sales in a row that sold to one starting bid. I had a couple of items in particular that would have attracted strong competition twelve months ago and didnt even sell this time around. I try to base decisions on real tangible facts and statistics and have to say this one is a bit of a worry.

Message 1 of 22
Latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

Re: Auctions only ever receive one bid now

I rarely ever use auctions for sales, mostly BIN. As a buyer the auction style format is no longer appealing, I have much more important things to do to tie myself up for 3-10 days 'chasing' an item. If the auction ends in 1-2 days I might put in a bid, but I'd rather have the item 'in the bag' and on its way so I can get on with life. I guess many customers may be like this, and it would be why some BIN items seem to go for 'ridiculous' prices (vs auction items). Also, I worked out early on that items I sell are vey time critical, when someone is looking for one of my books they ususally need it in a hurry, hence the preference for BIN.

Message 21 of 22
Latest reply

Re: Auctions only ever receive one bid now

@collective05 wrote:

Are you sure that it's maybe 500 yen and not $500???

For a start, Chinese currency is the Yuan, not the Yen, which is Japanese. Second, given that most Chinese sellers ship internationally, they work in US dollars. I don't think I've ever seen a Chinese listing listed in their own currency.

Plus, I learned to read when I was 3, so I do know what US$ looks like. As I buy a lot os stuff (mineral specimens) from China, I kind of know how they sell and what currency they sell in. 

Are you implying that I am an idiot who can't read?

Message 22 of 22
Latest reply