Aust Post losing letters

Why is it that I can send trackable parcels and they never, ever go missing or get lost.  Yet I send small items as a letter and every second one mysteriously vanishes?  Do they not care about these items or do they take advantage of the fact that they aren't traceable and pilfer them?

I will be writing a lengthy letter to Australia Post tomorrow as I'm tired of having to refund buyers.  I guess I will just have to add the extra cost of Registration to them, but really....this shouldn't be absolutely necessary

Message 1 of 38
Latest reply
37 REPLIES 37

Aust Post losing letters

How do you know it's AP doing it and not "free" shoppers ?

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 2 of 38
Latest reply

Aust Post losing letters

@munchkin83munchkin wrote:

Why is it that I can send trackable parcels and they never, ever go missing or get lost.  Yet I send small items as a letter and every second one mysteriously vanishes?  Do they not care about these items or do they take advantage of the fact that they aren't traceable and pilfer them?

I will be writing a lengthy letter to Australia Post tomorrow as I'm tired of having to refund buyers.  I guess I will just have to add the extra cost of Registration to them, but really....this shouldn't be absolutely necessary

I guess you will. Or use trackable envelopes. $2 more than the same size standard prepaid envelopes.

I doubt the issue is pilfering before receipt, however. So your lengthy letter to AP might be good as a vent, but won't actually achieve anything else. Some buyers seem to think that an untracked letter is a free gift.

I have never had that problem, but I'm probably not selling into the same market as you.

Edit: Good EVENING padi

Message 3 of 38
Latest reply

Aust Post losing letters

joz15au
Community Member
Perhaps because dishonest buyers say they have not received items they know are untracked because they know if you can't supply a tracking number you will have no choice but to refund. Not always the case but it happens a lot I believe, in some categories more than others. So Australia Post is not always the culprit.
Message 4 of 38
Latest reply

Aust Post losing letters

joz15au
Community Member
Sorry guys, you got in before me.😁
Message 5 of 38
Latest reply

Aust Post losing letters

@davewil1964 wrote:

Edit: Good EVENING padi

Good AFTERNOON Dave.....................original.gif

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 6 of 38
Latest reply

Aust Post losing letters

Are you allowing the  post office enough time ?

I know from recent experiece  aust post have taken 5 and 6 weeks just to deliver letters in metro melbourne .

Aust post need to be more honest  about this and give correct information to ebay so they can make  adjustment to estimated dates.

Message 7 of 38
Latest reply

Aust Post losing letters

Yea, people are taking advantage of ebays money back guarentee. This is only in effect with tracking. My tracked items have never been "lost" in mail. and I have had over 20 cases for non-tracked items. Australia Post will always prioritise items with tracking too meaning they get there 2ce as quick. 

if you use stamps and for parcels only, just add free tracking stickers to them which AP give for free or if you have a lot buy them on ebay for about $5 a box of 50. 

Just be very appreciative that Aus Post offer the cheap letter rate service and us ebayers can take advantage of this (it's designed for businesses mainly anwyay for advertising and promo's etc.). Here's a tip, don't send anything expensive in these letters and start increasing your prices and get storage with the money you make - most people sell for too cheap and too quick. Things will sell for a higher price if you're patient and you can use this extra cash to get registered letters for items say, over $40. (registered letters cost 4.70 each compared for 2.20). 

Message 8 of 38
Latest reply

Aust Post losing letters

@munchkin83munchkin wrote:

Yes, very mysterious.

Here's a tip. Check if it is mysteriously your ebay letters that are disappearing, as opposed to your ordinary mail.

I have never had a letter lost by Australia Post. I am sure it happens occasionally but I can tell you now it has never happened to me. So I think Aus Post is getting flak here over something that isn't their fault. They certainly don't lose every second letter. 

If it is happening to you, time to start thinking of other possibilities & the most likely one is some of your buyers are lying. You can't prove it though, and that's the whole crux of the matter. You'll have to work from there to decide what to do in future.

Message 9 of 38
Latest reply

Aust Post losing letters

Try posting them in a different Posting box. We had an issue like this where mail posted in a certain Posting box, never made it to it's destination, commented on by several neighbours. The Postal worker emptying it was seen rifling though the mail. Used another Posting box and no problems. Occasionally our Postie will put the neighbour's mail in our mailbox and vice versa. In your case, it could be buyers being impatient and claiming not received before allowing sufficient time. I make all sales (parcels) signature on delivery now, since I discovered that Australia Post will take no responsibility once the parcel is "safe dropped" even though on some occasions it is not safe to do so. With many deliveries being late at the moment, it is safer to register letters as well. Let the buyer pay for it. Then you will have peace of mind.

Message 10 of 38
Latest reply