Aust Post now charging postage to buy eBay Satchels

jvdv
Community Member

I usually buy packs of the Aust Post Small, Medium and Large satchels which in the past have been sent free but now I see Aust Post are charging a flat $5.00.

So on a pack of 10 large satchels it's now costing $8.50 as opposed to $3.50 in the past.

Message 1 of 10
Latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Re: Aust Post now charging postage to buy eBay Satchels

Not sure what you are hoping we can do.   The block of chocolate I normally buy has gone up as well, could you help reduce it please.

Message 2 of 10
Latest reply

imastawka
Honored Contributor

So what's the price in-store - without the postage?

Message 3 of 10
Latest reply

On there website $2.50 plus $5.00 postage, maybe @jvdv should buy via the website

Message 4 of 10
Latest reply

OP was quoting for large satchels - $3.50 + $5 postage on their website.

$2.50 is for Medium satchels

Buy Flat Rate Satchels Online (auspost.com.au)

Message 5 of 10
Latest reply

It may be that Aust Post are looking to get customers of these satchels to change their buying behaviour.

If postage on these is free then there is no incentive for anyone to buy in bulk.  Just plod along and buy one pack of ten each time.

With a $5 postage charge it is more likely that customers would buy multiple packs to reduce the unit price of each satchel.  There may even be a discount for buying 10 packs of 10.

In your example of a pack of 10 for $8.50 there is a unit price of 85c each satchel.  Buy 5 x 10 at (5 x $3.50) + $5 = $22.50 for 50 = 45c each (previously 35c each with free postage)

My advice, BUY IN BULK to spread the cost, add 10c to your P&H charge on your list.

In preparing this reply I decided to go to the Aust Post online shop to check on pricing.

They have a number of incentives to buy in bulk.  Using the FLAT rate Satchel Large $3.50

- buying one pack = $3.50 + $5 postage (85c unit price)

- buying 5 packs = $14 + $5 postage (38c unit price)

- buying 10 packs = $21 + $5 postage (26c unit price)

- buying 15 packs = $31.50 with *free postage (21c unit price)

Buying in bulk will enable considerable savings (screengrabs in spoiler below).

*Note that AP offer free postage for orders over $30

Spoiler

056E3B69-AA14-4F48-B4B6-F9E2F200C3DD.jpeg518E7200-81BD-4FC2-9F1F-5CA73EE4F409.jpeg

Message 6 of 10
Latest reply

@jvdv

if buying in bulk is a problem then it may be that buying 5 packs will be your best compromise.

Getting the satchels at just 38c each means just a slight increase in unit price from 35c to 38c each.

Personally, I’d be buying 15 packs and get the free postage and unit price of just 21c each.

Message 7 of 10
Latest reply

Buy over the counter - no postage then.

And it counts towards your MyPost Business volume, which buying online doesn't.

Win-win.

Message 8 of 10
Latest reply

I no longer sell but as soon as I read your post, my first thought was they are trying to discourage these small online sales.

It's understandable. You can go into the store and buy over the counter and avoid the postage charge.

But for Aus post, sending a pack of 10 large satchels at $3.50 with no postage charge at all is not sustainable, I would not think. I am actually shocked to read that it has been free this long, considering the packing & handling involved as well.

You can tell by the relative charges that they expect that at the very least, most buyers will order a 5 pack.

You don't have to, but if you only want one pack at a time, then you'll pay for the privilege.

Message 9 of 10
Latest reply

Depends on volume. I buy 100 small @ 15c each. 10 packs of medium and large are $2.50 and $3.50 respectively.

Message 10 of 10
Latest reply