Aust Post suspended sending to certain countries - Feedback??

cremo1
Community Member

Hi there.

Just tried to post a parcel to Austria - NO GO.

Then the girl looked it up, apparently all postage to certain countries is suspended (lots of them)...

https://auspost.com.au/about-us/news-media/important-updates/coronavirus/coronavirus-international-u...

Example from the link above.:

AUSTRIA: 23 March 2020

Australia Post is no longer able to provide international delivery services to Austria and will no longer accept any items for delivery. This is due flight cancellations and/or border closures.

For items lodged before Monday 16 March 2020 we are making every effort to find alternative delivery methods.

Please note, Austria will no longer be performing signature on delivery for items delivered to Austria due to government restrictions.

The language barrier has been a challenge already with this buyer...

What happens if someone leaves bad feedback because of something that is totally out of your control due to this Virus stuff?

Thanks
Bruce

Message 1 of 17
Latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

I personally would cancel the ssale using "problem with sellers address" reason.  Refund then immediately and notify buyer by message.  What other options do you have?

Message 2 of 17
Latest reply

I've messaged the bloke and given him the options
- cancel and refund
- hold and post when postage is allowed again

Its all I could think of at the time, after having spend over an hour in post office with 2 different people trying numerous times to put the parcel through the system (which gave some generic "we get that all the time" error) , then the lady came from out the back and showed them a list of cancelled countries.
Message 3 of 17
Latest reply

I've currently suspended all international sales - there are so many disruptions, it's simply not worth possible negative ramifications

Message 4 of 17
Latest reply

imastawka
Honored Contributor

In the current climate, I'm taking no chances.

All listings have been edited to block overseas sales.

FYI -

https://community.ebay.com.au/t5/Selling/Australia-Post-no-longer-taking-international-mail/m-p/2311...

Message 5 of 17
Latest reply

I cancelled 3 x sales, 1 x UK, 1 x US, 1 x Russia - put 'problem with buyers address' as reason - it's really not worth it - heaven knows how long until international mail will be fully up and running again?!
Message 6 of 17
Latest reply

USA and UK are fine, sent 12 parcels today/yesterday to them..

but yea think I'll be editing all ads which will be painful 1 by 1 😞

Message 7 of 17
Latest reply

You can bulk edit especially if you are using business policies for postage.

But you can't edit those with current bids.

image host
Message 8 of 17
Latest reply

@cremo1 wrote:

The language barrier has been a challenge already with this buyer...

What happens if someone leaves bad feedback because of something that is totally out of your control due to this Virus stuff?

Thanks
Bruce 

----------

As for the language barrier, you could use a translation website and try to write to them in German. I've done this sort of thing before (you've been a  bit unlucky to find a European who doesn't have a working grasp of English).   If nothing else they'd probably appreciate that you went to the effort of trying to communicate. They may also find it amusing 🙂

As for bad feedback as a consequence of virus related delays - I'd recommend getting onto an eBay rep (or agent or whatever they call themselves).  It was easier when you could talk live, but  chat is better than nothing. I've found that reps will be helpful and sympathetic - I've come away with strong assurances that negative feedback would be reviewed in my favour, given that

. I have an electronic 'paper trail' of doing the right thing, communicating with the buyer, etc.

. I've refunded the payment

Get a reference number for the conversation - you can get this even with chat.

It really helps if you get the eBay rep on your side from the get-go. It's harder when you're limited to text, but as soon as they introduce themselves I always open with "Hi, (whoever) - how are you?"  I'm sure this is such a rare occurence that they definitely notice it, and immediately feel more inclined to help you.

Refunding:

If you refund, make sure you use the 'problem with buyer's address' reason. It won't count as a strike against you. I've done this quite a few times lately with overseas buyers who intially were somehow able to buy despite my having closed overseas sales. None of them left negative feedback after I'd politely explained my reasons.

And lastly, though this won't help with this particular case - just stop selling overseas until things change for the better.. I did this weeks ago, when os post was supposedly still functioning, and didn't regret it Every time I used to sell a higher priced item, I'd wince when the buyer turned out to be overseas, worrying some sort of late item issue. It's a big relief to know I only have to deal with local transactions now.

Also - and I admit this might not automatically be the case for everybody or all types of items - my local sales have gone ballistic this month, which has made up for the overseas stuff anyway. 

Message 9 of 17
Latest reply

Kopes, I'm not using business policies for postage, do you know how to Bulk edit cancelling international sales option on listings please?

TIA

Message 10 of 17
Latest reply