Australia Post Letter Thickness Guidelines

I've purchased a lot on ebay, but when selling only sent in 8.25 prepaid satchels with Aus Post.

I have received many items with cheap postage (e.g $2) just sent in a letter, mainly children's clothing, so I thought I would offer that option for my buyers to save money. 

I did my first one a week ago at the post office, lady told me to stick two stamps on it, no problems. So since then I have posted more stuff (just in my local post box) in envelopes, and I affixed 3 stamps to each (they probably only needed two, but I wanted to be sure I'd put enough).

Today I was at the post office again, and had one to post with me, but the lady said that it was too thick (didnt drop through their little template, but because clothing gets air trapped etc could have squashed it down and it would have fit) and I had to pay parcel post rates.

Now I am super freaking out about the ones that I put in the post box, I'm worried they'll either send them back to me to be resent (meaning I'm going to lose a heap of money resending them all as parcels) or even worse that my buyers will have to pay something before they pick them up (which of course I would refund, but it wouldnt look good for me as a seller). 

Can any experienced sellers out there give me any idea of what might happen? They were all very light, definately under 250g, probably under 100g actually, its just the thickness I'm worried about. 

Message 1 of 8
Latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Ask your local PO for one of their thickness guides, so you can check for yourself at home whether an item will fit through the slot.

If packing clothing, I always use a sheet of lightweight cardboard (e.g. one side of a cereal packet) and fold the clothing around it and then place in a plastic bag which can be sealed tight after expelling the air. The cardboard prevents the item squishing up to one end, and jamming in the sorting machine.

It's also a good idea to get yourself a set of scales so you can check just how much your item weighs, and therefore have a far more accurate idea of postage cost.

Message 2 of 8
Latest reply

Ask you Post Office for a thickness guide letter template, than you can test them at home. 20cm is the max, best to use some stiff cardboard either side of your item so that it compresses and stays flat. Some accurate digital scales will let you check the weight and put on the correct amount of stamps
Message 3 of 8
Latest reply

Hi, The chances are once the letters have been through the postal service with other items sitting on top bouncing around in a truck, the cloth will flatten out a bit and the air may get squeezed from the parcel, so should be a bit thinner than when you mailed them. You may still get caught out, but it is fairly unlikely if you have been sensible about the thickness ( 2 cm. ) . It would pay to ask your local post office for one of the thickness guages that they use so that you can check items before mailing in future, just to set your mind at rest. If you ask nicely they should let you have one for free.

Message 4 of 8
Latest reply

There are a number of ways to send items in envelopes.  C5, B5, B4 or C4 cost different amounts for different weights.   You SHOULD have a set of scales, even kitchen scales to check the weights before posting.  Ask the PO for the gauge they use to check thickness of the envelope before sending.  Maximum thickness should be no more than 20cm.  

To flatten out clothing you can place in cliplock bag and press out the air before sealing.  This seems to work for many and is probably less weighty/messy than the other alternative which is to put clothing between card and sticky tape.  However there are others who will share with you tricks/tips on how to send things such as lightweight clothing.  

Cost for prepaid envelopes purchased over the counter at the PO will vary according to size (C5, C4, B4).  Prices have just gone up for these so you will need to check the Aust Post website or get the Post Charges booklet from the PO.

What is likely to happen if your envelopes are picked up at a Distribution Centre for being too thick is (a) if you have your return address on the back you will receive an invoice from Australia Post, for the underpaid amount of postage plus $1.50 admin fee.

So if you put 3 stamps on the envelope and it is over 20cm thick you will be charged parcel rate (less the cost of the 3 stamps), plus the admin fee.  (b) if you haven't put your return address on the back your buyer is likely to be charged the extra.  (So would not make for a happy buying experience).  I would keep my fingers crossed that they send you the bill rather than your buyer getting hit with it, as they could also refuse to accept the parcel.

The weight factor can be anything up to 500g with Prepaid Envelopes (as above) but still need to be less than 20cm thick.  There is always the Click and Send option which I am sure someone who is more familiar than I can advise you on.

The PO could have enlightened you right at the start about their requirements for sending items in envelopes, but then you should have made the appropriate enquiries and avoided what might be an expensive mistake.

A bit slow on the typing.  Questions seem to be already mostly answered.

Message 5 of 8
Latest reply

Thanks for the replies.

I places all items in ziplock bags inside the envelopes to try and squeeze out as much as possible, and also to protect the item in case it got wet etc. 

I called someone at Australia post, they said that if my address is on the back of the envelopes (which it is) then they would just send me an invoice for any postage charges etc. 

The items were all sent in C4 envelopes. 

Just need to wait and see I guess.

Message 6 of 8
Latest reply

This is a 4 year old thread you've dragged up and you are trying to advertise your own goods on the boards which is not allowed.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 7 of 8
Latest reply

No need to worry. Unless it is absolutely essential I never go into the P.O. to post. Far too particular about testing the letter through the cardboard slot. Always use the post box and you will be OK. 

Message 8 of 8
Latest reply