Australia Post Mypost underpaid postage

Is anyone else using Mypost Business and started getting regularly getting underaid postage notifications. Up until recently I would get the odd every six months one when I selected the incorrect weight when in a hurry but nothing for cubed parcels.

Now about once a month getting one that would be a few cm's off in measurements compared to mine by the automated system.  It was only a few dollars so not worth the effort calling but one today was $7 and looking at the item it is sent in the factory box so I checked the size and it is 34cm wide and Aust Post said 39cm. 

Most parcels I sent the boxes are random so I could not verify the size once sent until today so will be calling to find out more. I do feel like just addressing the parcels and letting the Post Office waste their time and weight and measure everything but they are licensee and standing there waiting is no solution either.

Message 1 of 8
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Have only ever had 2.  The first was just after they started auto checking in transit, and apparently I had under stated 1 side by 5mm, but apparently that was enough to make it a higher level by cubed weight.  Ever since then I have always slightly overstated size and weight.  So was very surprised to get a second charge that was well over stated measurements.

Got onto AP support with verified measurements plus the overstated measurements.  They checked and found the item had been measured 3 times in transit but only recorded an error once, so they removed the extra charges due to apparent error.  Posible my item and something else got stuck together and somehow measured as 1 item.

So the new system is not foolproof 

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 8
Latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

I have had a few. It seems once you get one you get targetted.

My solution was to ring AP and state in fairly strong terms that if they continued to unfairly target me I would get the Ombudsman involved.

No further issues.

Alternatively you could actually measure your parcels.

Message 2 of 8
Latest reply

I started feeling it was getting to regular and may need to call but as the last was such a huge difference and I had the measurements here to check I would not let this one go. Most boxes I use are cut down in size from original and range from 5kg up to 50kg cubed and I have no way to go back and check what I sent.

I was still using some old ebay satchels with the old weights written on them showing 3kg and I would get hit if it was over that even though they did say you could use your old satchels with the new 5kg max system. 

All the cubed parcels are measured as I need it to print the label. I used to have them done at the post office but some staff where not happy with the extra work load so hence why I changed. There was one guy there who would turn up with around 100 satchels for them to manually enter at it would take near an hour. He had them hand written and I always thought you have a mypost account why not just do your labels at work. But he was into goth and figured I did not want to know.

Message 3 of 8
Latest reply

Have only ever had 2.  The first was just after they started auto checking in transit, and apparently I had under stated 1 side by 5mm, but apparently that was enough to make it a higher level by cubed weight.  Ever since then I have always slightly overstated size and weight.  So was very surprised to get a second charge that was well over stated measurements.

Got onto AP support with verified measurements plus the overstated measurements.  They checked and found the item had been measured 3 times in transit but only recorded an error once, so they removed the extra charges due to apparent error.  Posible my item and something else got stuck together and somehow measured as 1 item.

So the new system is not foolproof 

Message 4 of 8
Latest reply

They weigh, measure and photo every single underpaid item.  They may ping you for few grams or mm, but they'll have the evidence and would be unconcerned with any threat.

I had a batch of underpaid envelopes.  Turned out the envelope was too thick.  The post offices all have a cardboard thing with the different slots cut out and viola they showed me the items were getting stuck.  I.e they were oversized (underpaid).

I modified my packing method and have never had one since.

Go to your local post office if you're not sure.  Modify your business practices.  Thinking the world is out to get you is not going to help you grow your business

Message 5 of 8
Latest reply

I would enter 34 x 24 x 12 and get they would say 34 x 23 x 13 or 34 x 23.5 x 12.5 so would let it go as I can't check.

But the last was 59 x 34 x 11.9 and they said 59 x 39 x 12. So my 11.9 is a bit cheeky as it gets me under the 6kg cubed but the system allows the size to be entered as 11.9 and they have added millimetres to my measurements and the parcel is under 12cm high I have used it no issues for years. I thought if the box was damaged it may show different but as it is a network router the customer would have said it was damaged.

If it was the just the 12 measurement  I would pay the fee but to add 5cm is a bit much.

Message 6 of 8
Latest reply

only ever had two,  both had being entered by my son in law for a couple of personal items, and when we got the receiver to check,   he had measured them wrong.   I have since given him ""how to use a tape measure 101 course"".

Message 7 of 8
Latest reply

I don't think the world is out to get me and I don't need to change my business practices.

The case that led to my complaint was AP sending me an underpaid notice for an envelope with no stamp on it. My counterclaim was that I only use prepaid envelopes (which is/was the truth), thus could not have sent without postage.

I also suggested they check my purchase history with them. End of case.

Message 8 of 8
Latest reply