Australia Post Not Delivering

Has anyone else been affected by Australia Post not delivering to people's doors and instead expecting them to go to a Post Office and collect? I've had a little parcel non-delivered to my door from an eBay seller eventhough I'm available all day for taking it. I've also witnessed two customers complaining at my own Post Office about them having to go to the Post Office to collect the item eventhough they too were home all day.

What is going on? Is this some new policy with Australia Post? Is eBay a part of this poor delivery service outcome? Are we now going to get negative feedbacks for inconveniencing buyers who expect delivery to their door when it is included in their purchase? Does Amazon permit this shoddy form of fake delivery?

Message 1 of 43
Latest reply
42 REPLIES 42

Re: Australia Post Not Delivering

@waddingtonfirstaid wrote:

digital*ghost goes further. Picky , picky, picky to the point of trying to find any little way to diminish my argument. 

When anyone sees free delivery, or they pay for delivery, what does the average person believe they are getting?

Lol, I never even responded to your post, I responded to crow's, but I'll respond to yours here and now.

My point was that is doesn't matter one jot what the average person believes they are getting. What matters is the service Australia Post actually provide - to try and make that a point is just bad faith, because if we took that to a logical conclusion, it's the same as saying "I think I am entitled to what I believe I should be getting, rather than what is promised". This kind of thing is the bane of all service provider's / seller's existance - customers making assumptions, creating expectations on the basis of those assumptions, and then thinking the service provider / seller has failed in their duty if those expectations weren't met, when said service provider / seller never created those expectations in the first place. "Usually get" doesn't = "always guaranteed to get". 

I am an average person, by the way.  There's nothing particular special about me at all. I'm neither smarter nor dumber than the average person, but I do like to educate myself on a wide variety of topics, and after years of buying and selling online, I've learned a few things, and formed a few opinions. I will use those things (knowledge and opinions) to challenge pre-conceived notions if I see fit, and I am always open to having my own challenged - if you can show me somewhere within Aus Post's service T&Cs, a guarantee that they will always deliver a package to the door, I'll be happy to admit I'm wrong.  

Until then, as a thoroughly average person, when I pay for postage, I do so with the understanding that there is no guarantee the package will be delivered to my door, because that is not part of the guarantee Australia Post provide - I have never seen threm make such a promise or guarantee. I like it when when my packages are delivered to my door, because I only send larger boxes - or those being delivered by couriers - to my residential address (all others go to my PO box). That means if I miss a delivery, or it gets carded for one reason or another, I'm pretty peeved because the places they get taken are all out of the way for me and with my schedule, often take me days to get around to picking them up.

Do you think, given that I would much rather delivery to my door, that I wouldn't jump on some kind of "to the door" guarantee? Some couriers leave a card if I miss them, and i can re-book delivery for a time when I can definitely be home. It takes about 30 seconds and I love it, because I don't have to do anything but wait. Australia Post don't do this... Maybe if they had a "to the door" guarantee, they would.

And what is with the "working for eBay" thing again? I didn't even talk about ebay in my post, and yet I'm somehow in cahoots with them for mentioning something about Australia post that you didn't like?

Creative use of a thoroughly unoriginal accusation, though, I guess.

@crow - Australia Post are paid to get a package to a recipient, that's what they do, even if you don't like their methods. As I said in my previous post, if they are never attempting delivery on most or all of your parcels, there is absolutely cause for complaint, but not really on the basis of "I didn't get what I paid for", which is the point I was trying to make. Also, that post was made on the back of helping someone deal with a buyer who was in a full-on rage about not getting a parcel delivered to their door, and blaming it on the seller and going on and on about the same thing ("I paid for delivery, not to go and collect", and I just don't see it that way - you pay to get it from the seller to yourself, one way or another). 

Message 11 of 43
Latest reply

@crow, I am glad that you cut off that driver at the pass! There are apparently some delivery drivers who won't even attempt to deliver a parcel, and sometimes won't even leave a card. That lack of attempt - if there's no real reason (such as a moat filled with piranha surrounding your house, or wild vicious camels roaming your front garden just waiting to chomp at couriers) - seems like a failure to perform the required duties for which the driver would be contracted.

You might want to report that driver. The excuse given may be genuine, but at least if you make a complaint outlining what happened, it could show a significant pattern if others also complain with similar examples.

Do you have a MyPost account with AP? You can change your delivery preferences where you're asked "Want us to leave eligible signature-parcels in a safe place from now on?" and you can select from a number of places:

• at a safe place on premises
  • at the front door
  • in mailbox (if size allows)
  • on the front porch
  • under carport/verandah
  • by the side gate

But I note that it states "preferences" ... which means that a courier driver having an awful day and not feeling like putting the parcel where one wants it put could place it somewhere else entirely.

I don't really mind (too much) if a parcel's left at one of the nearby POs, since they're not more than 5-7 minutes away.

Actually, following on from what you've said, digital*ghost, and crow's experience, this page might be of interest:

Why did I receive a notification card when I was at home, or elected to have my parcel left in a safe place?

We understand how frustrating this can be. The only time this should happen is when special delivery instructions can’t be completed (such as if the sender of an item won’t permit us to leave an item without a signature, or if following your special delivery instructions mean that our posties would have to leave their bikes unattended), or when a driver or postie believes it’s potentially unsafe. 

At home but still received a card?

You may still be left a card if:

• you live in an apartment. We often only have access to the public ground floor area, and in some cases have no access at all to an apartment building.  This means we’re unable to deliver  items directly to many apartments, as leaving the parcels in a public area is considered unsafe. We can deliver parcels that will fit in your letterbox if this is accessible in the public ground floor area. We will always try to get in touch with you to notify you of a parcel delivery by using the intercom.
  • your door location means our posties would have to leave their bike unattended or out of sight.

Did you request that a delivery be left in a safe place?

You may still receive a card if:

• the sender stated we were not permitted to leave the item without a signature
  • we couldn't gain access because of a locked gate
  • the front of the property is near the street in view of passers-by
  • the location is not protected from the weather
  • our posties would have to leave their bike unattended or out of sight to make the delivery
  • the delivery person is uncertain whether there are dogs present, or a pet that may interfere with the item
  • the address is an apartment where we only have ground level, public area access
  • the driver feels that the item will be unsafe due to other factors (for example, there were people gathered near your property at the time of delivery)

If you believe it was not for any of the above reasons, we want to investigate. Please consider leaving feedback or making a complaint so we can address this issue.

Also, in AP's terms and conditions:

❝an article addressed to a person receiving mail at private residential premises is deemed to be delivered by:

(a) placing it in a receptacle established at those premises for the receipt of articles;

(b) handing it to that person or to a person who is apparently a responsible resident of those premises; or

(c) if a parcel post article, left otherwise in accordance with the written instruction of the sender or the addressee.

This is under the definition of "delivery" in AP's dictionary section of the T&Cs. I am happy interpreting that as meaning that, if it's safe to do so and if the courier's or postman's vehicle is not required to be left out of sight and unattended, delivery should have the parcel actually being left at the recipient's address OR handed to the resident OR otherwise left as instructed by the sender or receiver (i.e., safe drop if that's been okayed and is possible).

I can only see a reason for a parcel NOT to be left at the premises etc (as above), assuming that it's safe to do so, if there is no one home and the parcel requires a signature.

Additional information that might be of interest:

7B Australia Post’s obligations

7B.1 In providing postal and related services, Australia Post must provide the following consumer guarantees

7B.1.1 guarantee as to due care and skill;
    7B.1.2 guarantee as to fitness for purpose; and
    7B.1.3 in some circumstances, a guarantee as to time for supply – either the specified timeframe or a reasonable timeframe.

7B.2 Where Australia Post fails to provide services to a person in accordance with these consumer guarantees, and the person has complied with these and any other relevant terms and conditions, then a person may have a right to seek a remedy in accordance with theAustralian Consumer Law. ❞

It is not spelled out what "due care and skill" and "fitness for purpose" may be, but I consider that a reasonable person would feel entitled to assume that delivery would be to the delivery address if there is no issue of safety (or postie's bike being left unattended).

But then, further down:

DELIVERY ISSUES

16  Australia Post delivery obligations

16.1 Australia Post will use its best endeavours to deliver articles in accordance with these terms and conditions and Appendix 2.❞

Best endeavours - well, that's a slippery term. However, if a recipient can show or give evidence that a courier or postman has not even tried to deliver an article where there is no apparent or known safety etc issue, I'd not call that "best endeavours".

For anyone interested, the link is here. (For the record, it's in a dreadful font that I don't consider professional or business-like. Ugh.)
Message 12 of 43
Latest reply

I wouldn't really call any of that a guarantee of any kind (with or without the caveats), but it does outline a standard protocol so definitely creates an expection of delivery to the address (or attempted delivery, rather than carding without an attempt); so I'll rescind my previous argument of AP not creating an expectation of delivery to the door.  

"I can only see a reason for a parcel NOT to be left at the premises etc (as above), assuming that it's safe to do so, if there is no one home and the parcel requires a signature.

Define "safe", and what it refers to - Aus Post didn't exactly do this, and I expect it is at the deliver's discretion.

(Just to clarify here, I have not been arguing that Aus Post have no obligation to ever attempt delivery, hence twice saying now that there is cause for complaint if they don't, what I have been arguing against is the idea that people pay specifically for delivery to their door, and while I do recognise that there is an expectation of that, supported by the protocol you've listed, they very clearly indicate that it won't always happen, even when specifically requested). 

I'm presuming 'fit for purpose' would be in relation to packaging products, carriage equipment, possibly scanning equipment, and other paraphernalia required to transport, deliver or repair packages damaged in transit. 

Message 13 of 43
Latest reply

I can confirm another parcel was not delivered to me this week (even though we are there all day, every day), instead only a little card clearly instructing us to pick it up (no attempt at any delivery). When one of my employees went to pick up the parcel from the Post Office, he witnessed no less than 4 OTHER ANGRY CUSTOMERS with cards in hands, demanding to know why their parcels were not delivered! Frustration escalated due to no credible answers and a growing line-up. Even my communication in writing to Australia Post's CEO's Inside Sales Manager, some weeks ago, remains unanswered. They know from the CEO down, what is going on.

I'm at a point whereby parcels non-delivered will not be picked up in future, meaning they'll either have to actually attempt delivery or they'll probably go back to the sender and then will need to be resent at Australia Post's expense until they are actually delivered. Businesses only need to return the parcel back to Australia Post with BIG BOLD BLACK LETTERING and a BIG BOLD BLACK CIRCLE AROUND THE RECIPIENT'S ADDRESS - TO - RE-DELIVER!!

Like I said, if sellers and eBay fail to act on this, it will be to all our detriment, from bad postage feedback and ratings, to negative ratings, poor search rankings, expensive and frustrating following-ups to customer complaints and ultimately our long-term survival. Yet, this race to the bottom is serving other interests perfectly or they wouldn't be allowing it to happen. What appears to be an emerging swell outcome for those in control at Australia Post (and eBay?), is directly turning into a nightmare for the recipients of a disgraceful shoddy setup.

Message 14 of 43
Latest reply

If you don't collect the parcel and it gets sent back, AP isn't going to redeliver it for free. Not a chance in the world. Good luck trying to get that to happen.

Message 15 of 43
Latest reply

It has done so for me, several times. If they fail to provide the service I pay for, they have no oher option. Under the Consumer Act, when a service is paid for, it has to be delivered (in all sense of the word). If you want to split hairs, you're only going to do the bidding of people or organisations who should know better. In my case, they failed to even attempt delivery. There is no splitting of hairs warranted for such a breach of the service paid for and expected.

Message 16 of 43
Latest reply

@waddingtonfirstaid wrote:

Has anyone else been affected by Australia Post not delivering to people's doors and instead expecting them to go to a Post Office and collect? I've had a little parcel non-delivered to my door from an eBay seller eventhough I'm available all day for taking it. I've also witnessed two customers complaining at my own Post Office about them having to go to the Post Office to collect the item eventhough they too were home all day.

What is going on? Is this some new policy with Australia Post? Is eBay a part of this poor delivery service outcome? Are we now going to get negative feedbacks for inconveniencing buyers who expect delivery to their door when it is included in their purchase? Does Amazon permit this shoddy form of fake delivery?

After years of excellent hassle free (larger) parcel deliveries from Aust Post things have suddenly gone downhill in my suburb - due to new AP delivery contractors apparently.  It feels like I'm having to start from scratch getting them trained. 😞

A recent purchase was from a company that usually had signature on delivery.  Though I am home all day (I'm housebound) they agreed to a safe drop with tracking as mobility issues mean I am too slow to get to the door in time to sign for my item.  I gave the company my delivery instructions (safe drop place) which they added to my address in nice big letters.

At some point (I didn't hear a knock at the door or anything) the new contractor allegedly came to my front door - which is not a good safe drop spot - and either didn't bother to read the delivery instructions on the parcel or couldn't be bothered reading them, so he left a card in the letterbox and took my parcel to the local PO.  Grrrr.  I phoned AP customer service, who rang the delivery centre to get my parcel redelivered (I can't drive any more) but the new contractors refused to deliver it...even though it was their fault one of their employees ignored the safe drop instructions.  They wouldn't budge, despite appeals from AP customer service.  I began to feel rather sorry for the AP employee - she had spent two days trying to get the stupid contractors to relent, with no success.

By the afternoon of the second day my parcel was at the local PO and in desperation I phoned the PO direct, which was taking a punt because they usually don't move without authorisation from someone within AP.  I explained how the delivery instructions were clearly set out on the parcel, and my mobility issues.  The AP staffer confirmed the contractors were new and there had been issues.  What clinched it was when I said only lived about 3 mins by car from the PO.  The staffer agreed the whole situation was ridiculous. 

Late that afternoon I watched a large white van pull into my driveway, and lo and behold there was the AP delivery contractor walking down my driveway with my parcel and this time the parcel was safe dropped.....something he should have done in the first place!

At this rate I don't think I'll be buying many larger items for a while.

Message 17 of 43
Latest reply

Has been happening to me since the second half of last year.

Parcel after parcel gets me a card put into my mailbox telling me I have to drive the 13km to the post office to get what they have aready been paid to deliver, yet they refuse to! 

Australia Post are absolutely useless nowadays.

As a buyer I am now forced to look for sellers who are using other carriers, as I simply can't afford to drive 13km to get my mail.

Message 18 of 43
Latest reply

Why are you dragging up old threads to post what is, at most charitable, your personal opinion?

It is not shared by most buyers who come to the boards. Couriers are even less reliable than AP, so you will probably have to drive even further to collect your parcels when they card them rather than knocking on the door.

Message 19 of 43
Latest reply

I am so fed up with this situation now that if Australia Post do it, I am simply refusing to go pick up the parcel and it gets sent back to the seller.

Ultimately that's the only way to fix it. Reason being is that Australia Post doesn't give a hoot about the recipient, as in their eyes, the sender is the customer. So unless the sellers all start lodging complaints because they have recieved parcels back from buyers, nothing will ever change.

If all the sellers lodge complaints and threaten to stop using Australia Post then maybe they will start to listen. The only thing Australia Post takes notice of is profit these days.

It should not be profit driven, but should be regarded as an essential service.  

I strongly urge all Ebay sellers to start using other carriers ASAP. That's if you want to stay in business.

Australia Post obviously doesn't. 

Message 20 of 43
Latest reply