Australia Post Refusing To Accept A Small Letter

Yesterday I was working 70kms from home and had 8 letters to post. I went to the local Post Office to post them as 1 had to be registered. Now I purchase my stamps which are Old  but never used from a very respectable dealer. I can end up with all values. These stamps are Mint with full gum. One letter only had 99 cents on it in stamps and I was told it is under the postage cost by 1 cent. and she refused to accept it. I asked for 5, 1 cent stamps so as I could put a stamp on the letter only to be told there are no 1 cent stamps these days. I then asked what can we do then only to be told I would have to purchase a 5 cent stamp and affix it. by this time I was getting very cranky, Told her then I would be 4 cents over. She would not budge so I ended up taking the letter home and affixed a 1 cent stamp. What has happened to rounding up or down the cost seems like Australia Post always Round Up. When I posted the letter at my Local Post Office I explained what had happened and was told they should have posted it for me. Hope I never have to work in that town again.

Message 1 of 8
Latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Re: Australia Post Refusing To Accept A Small Letter

I totally understand. I have a page with details of the item I am posting, and my small post office/ tatts outlet stamps it as proof of posting for letters.

If I go to the big post office they refuse to stamp it.

They wouldn't even give me a reason why they wouldn't do it.

Just plain mean, so I don't go to them anymore.

Message 2 of 8
Latest reply

There's no such thing as rounding with stamps. Post cost is post cost. If you're under and put it in a letterbox the receiver gets a nasty nota and a bill for about $2-something for underpaid postage. While I see your point if 10 million letters were sent with a 99c stamp they'd be losing a lot. Same as you can't go to Coles with $1.95 to buy a 2 litre milk.

Some smaller post offices work a little different.
Message 3 of 8
Latest reply

welcome to the 21st century

the days of the cheery smile of the person serving you with the 'thats ok, near enough' reply when you dont have exact change is allmost over. we still get it in some family owned businesses where they know customers arnt trying to rip them off by saving a few cents.

most businesses are all computers and adding programs that cant function on a 1 cent shortfall. it does not compute, buzz click, oh no its going to explode!

Message 4 of 8
Latest reply

They could have print a label for 1c and put it next to your old 99c stamp. I did not have any problems with it in my LPO when I was using stamps.

Decoroo - Custom made wooden products
Message 5 of 8
Latest reply

I dont think their computers will allow a 1 cent stamp I am not sure.

Message 6 of 8
Latest reply

They should be able to print a 5c label if they can't do a 1c one. I know they can print $0.00 labels (e.g. on a parcel with $7.45 worth of stamps on it; the $0.00 label has the tracking number).
Message 7 of 8
Latest reply

Whatever happened to common sense ?

images (1).jpg

image host
Message 8 of 8
Latest reply