Australia Post... - What is correct?

valdoe
Community Member

I am confused.. reading the notice from the PO as from 8 April.. unless I missed the very fine print.. it states that the new postal charges will now be one price, you then have to look at their chart and see what zone you sending it to eg n1, s2 etc. and you will see a new charge of what it cost per KG extra you have to add.

using http://auspost.com.au/media/documents/april-8th-2013-parcel-post.pdf

eg sending a parcel to Vic zone 2 that weights 3 kg will now cost

Standard charge will be = $11.45

Zone v2 = $2.55/kg x 3  =  $7.65

Total cost                     = $19.10

No where do I see that they will still cubing parcels

By reading their chart .. there is no mentioning of cubing a parcel any more..

yet if you use their postage calculator

if you select Satchel the cost correct if you do not cubic it.

if you select Parcel and add the size if the item the cost jumps to $28.80 and increase of nearly $10. 

It gets worse if you were to send the item to WA,SA or TAS.

How are we suppose to work out our shipping costs to charge the buyers?

Message 1 of 15
Latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Re: Australia Post... - What is correct?

You put the packed weight and dimensions in the boxes provided for that information. Can't get much simpler than that.

Message 11 of 15
Latest reply

You put the packed weight and dimensions in the boxes provided for that information. Can't get much simpler than that.

Yeah, I guess. It looked a bit tougher before actually looking at it again just now. Aslong as you know the dimensions of the packaging used, it should be alright.

Message 12 of 15
Latest reply

I used to use the extra large 3 kilo express satchels, not sure if they still have them but they were around $14 and about an A2 size, would that work?

the extra large 3kg satchels (not the 3 kg satchells)  will no longer be available according to the press release.

Message 13 of 15
Latest reply

thesoulyearns,

re using ebays Calculated Post tool

IF it is going as a SOFT PARCEL all you need [until these new changes come in re cubing EVERyTHING] to enter is any number ... I put 5 x 5 x 5 at the moment.

What you do have to remember with a soft parcel [that is NOT BOXED] is how much protection weight is going to be added to the actual item.. e.g. item weighs 220 grams + packaging 150 grams = 410 grams .. you simply put 500 grams - nearest package for AP weight [or 410 grams] in the weight box.

If it is going to be BOXED that is different.

Find the correct box you will be packing item in.

Add protection & item to box

Weigh the lot

Measure the box

Add those exact measurements e.g 24 x 23 x 22 ... to measurements boxes.

Then add exact weight as the calculator will round it to nearest match

Also consider [if it will fit] adding either the 3kg or 5kg satchel if you can safely package the item boxed into the satchel....this way you DON'T get charged for BOX postage.

Hope this helps

Message 14 of 15
Latest reply

Is there any sensible way to use calculated postage and combine postage? I find at least 50% of my buyers buy more than one item. So until now I have used a flat rate plus automatic combining at $1.50 for each extra item. I would love to use calculated postage so that everyone gets charged exactly what they should get charged for postage, but as far as I can see it won't work automatically for multiple purchases. Any ideas anyone?

Message 15 of 15
Latest reply