Australia Post price increase - period of grace?

Is anyone aware if there is a "period of grace" after 4 January, where the old letter rates will be accepted without the recipient being charged for underpaid postage?  In the past there has been an "unwritten period of grace", sometimes two weeks or a month.

This is the case where you drop a pre-stamped letter into a red post box.  Of course once you approached the post office counter, the latest postage would be charged.

Happy New Year and thank you for all the very helpful "inside advice".

Message 1 of 193
Latest reply
192 REPLIES 192

Re: Australia Post price increase - period of grace?

Which seems to indicate that the period of grace was for 1-2 weeks from the date of the price increase to allow mail already in the system to clear.....not to continue using incorrect postage.

Message 161 of 193
Latest reply

How ridiculous! Lodged on Jan 1st! You've got to take a picture of that, haha.

One of the AP workers I spoke to did mention that multiple items posted together are more likely to be picked out. She literally told me to spread them out, posting only a few per day. Which made things even more.. dodgy/blurry.

AUSPOST Heart

Message 162 of 193
Latest reply

@hypersales2001 wrote:
I was told before the price increase by an Aus Post store owner/representative/employee that there would probably be a 2 week grace period. I have been trying to use up all my $0.70c stamps. So, in doing what I was told would probably be right, today, 15.1.16 I received a fine in the mail for 'underpaid item'. The 'invoice was dated Jan 12, the underpaid items they were charging me for were lodged, (this is actually on the invoice by the way)JULY 1, 2016. There were 20 of them, and each single item incurred an 'admin fee' of $1.50. So for each one, I have been charged $0.60 for underpaid and $1.50 admin fee. My invoice totalled $57.10. I refuse to pay as I was given what seems to be misleading information byAus Post. What a joke! So I've had to close my store while I do a complete overhaul now. Absolutely ridiculous.

perhaps your mistake was in taking "would probably be" as meaning "there will be", and for lodging the items and not posting them loosely in a Red Posting Box.  As has been posted here on this thread, all of Australia Post is not going to be held to the word of an individual employee in a single PO or LPO.

If I had handed any letter items over the counter after 3rd Jan I would have paid the new rate.  I suspect the grace period may only have applied to Red Box letters, and maybe only to those without return address on them.

"I refuse to pay as I was given what seems to be misleading information by Aus Post" if you do not have it in writing then you are probably screwed.  You weren't told by an Aust Post Post Office employee, you were told by an LPO employee.  If you don't pay it then the amount is likely to increase if they have to chase you for it.

Good luck, and please keep us informed about any further developments as this has been one of the most followed threads in recent times and I am sure everyone would like to read of member experiences regarding any grace period,

Message 163 of 193
Latest reply

@theforcemedia wrote:

How ridiculous! Lodged on Jan 1st! You've got to take a picture of that, haha.

One of the AP workers I spoke to did mention that multiple items posted together are more likely to be picked out. She literally told me to spread them out, posting only a few per day. Which made things even more.. dodgy/blurry.

AUSPOST Heart

I think there is some confusion over dates and amounts.  The invoice for underpaid was stated as JULY 1st 2016.  Also, underpaid postage of 60 cents per item for 20 items.  Where does the 60 cents come from?  New price is $1 and hypersales was using up old 70 cent stamps.  Do they double the underpaid amount as a penalty?

hypersales2001, what date did you lodge the items?  I am asking because it is not 100% clear in your post.

Message 164 of 193
Latest reply

My understanding was: Invoice dated(created) Jan 12, for items lodged Jan 1.
Message 165 of 193
Latest reply

@theforcemedia wrote:
My understanding was: Invoice dated(created) Jan 12, for items lodged Jan 1.

that's why there is confusion.  In the post by hypersales2001 they clearly state JULY 1st 2016.

Until hypersales2001 comes back I think the confusion may continue.

If it ends up being lodged Jan 1 then the question also arises about whether any lodged mail would have had the stamps cancelled on Jan 1 as that is a Public Holiday in every state.  If an LPO was open on Jan 1 and they cancelled the stamps on the envelope then I say fight it all the way.

Message 166 of 193
Latest reply

I added up $42 in fines and not $57.10.

20 x $0.60 = $12

20 x $1.50 = $30

Message 167 of 193
Latest reply

Price rise didn't start until the 4/1/16 so why does the 1/1/16 even come into the equation?

Message 168 of 193
Latest reply

@collect247 wrote:

I added up $42 in fines and not $57.10.

20 x $0.60 = $12

20 x $1.50 = $30

yep, more confusion.

Message 169 of 193
Latest reply

@collect247 wrote:

Price rise didn't start until the 4/1/16 so why does the 1/1/16 even come into the equation?

Smiley Frustrated

Message 170 of 193
Latest reply