Community Member
60 REPLIES 60

Australia Post sorting machine problems

the old red mailbox doing its job

Message 21 of 61
Latest reply

@sparrow2207 wrote:

Don't know of any AP owned/run POs that are open on a Saturday (except in December).  Only ones I have ever seen open Saturdays are AP agencys and they are usually located in shopping centres and do not do deliveries of anything.  All deliveries in my area come direct from the area sorting centre at Frenchs Forest and if not delivered (always carded and never actually delivered even when at home) dumped at the relevant PO for collection.

The PO (Australia Post run, not a LPO)  in local town is open on Sat  (9 - 12.30 pm). (Excl pub. hols). I am not sure when this started to be the norm, last 4-5 months approx. The mail in and out is only Mon-Fri though

Re mail delays - I have a buyer waiting on a large envelope item, from NSW to VIC.. not there yet in 14 days. Was addressed to a PO Box.

Message 22 of 61
Latest reply

@joethenuts wrote:

sorry my mistake mr brick , i dont use aust post for parcels , what I mean is ,its not how well you pack your parcel its how heavy and well the person after you packs his parcel , with about  a 1 meter drop aprox .ouch.  I think it would be safer and wiser over the counter

Joe, Joe, Joe...

You don't use AP so you aren't really qualified to comment.

Just in case you ever do, parcels are required by AP to be able to withstand 22kgs dropped on them from a metre. Full stop. Over the counter makes no difference to how it will be treated after lodgement.

Message 23 of 61
Latest reply

i dont have to be qualified to know a 22kg parcel falling from a meter  would not do damage..[ye right]  ouch

Message 24 of 61
Latest reply

@joethenuts wrote:

i dont have to be qualified to know a 22kg parcel falling from a meter  would not do damage..[ye right]  ouch

I am quite sure 22 KG of feathers wouldn't hurt much. Australia Posts lack of defining something properly just gives them reason not to cover something if it gets smashed. Like I have said in previous posts a 20kg crow bar would do much more damage, assuming it can be posted in the first place.

Message 25 of 61
Latest reply

Would you please point out where exactly does it state 22kg in AP's T&C's - I thought I had read all of it, but must have missed tnat.  

Message 26 of 61
Latest reply

I don't know whether it actually states a weight but it does say

Tips for packing your item securely

All packed articles should withstand a drop of approximately 1 metre to prevent potential damage or breakage.

Based on the current max weight for a regular parcel of 22kg then all parcels would have to be able to withstand a drop of 1 metre and also withstand a 22kg parcel being dropped on top of it from a 1 metre height.

Message 27 of 61
Latest reply

Why would 22kg of feathers be different from 22kg of anything else when their mass is identical?
Message 28 of 61
Latest reply

Okay, I accept the first part of your comment.  

However, I don't accept the second part.  

One thing to have your parcel being dropped from 1 metre to check if it bounces or breaks.  

Quite another to have 22kg dropped from one metre onto your parcel.   It certainly wouldn't bounce and would probably break.  I wouldn't consider that to be a fair gauge of appropriate packaging.

What dd the 'Tip' say :  'articles should withstand a drop of 1 metre'.... nothing about withstanding a drop of 1 metre by another parcel onto your/my article.

Message 29 of 61
Latest reply

@cq_tech wrote:
Why would 22kg of feathers be different from 22kg of anything else when their mass is identical?

Volume.

Area at point of impact. Eg force of 1m2 is less than 100cm2 at any point by a factor of 100.

Terminal velocity due to air pressure.

Message 30 of 61
Latest reply