BEWARE!! Ebay International Post "Services" No Longer Match Auspost

The Ebay International Postage "Services" no longer match what Auspost offers so you will be undercharging on your international postage costing you money.

To be covered by Paypal your item needs to be tracked.

The cheapest "Tracked" option offered by Auspost is their "Standard" postage option.

This "Standard" option is not offered in the International "Services" section where you create your listing.

Your options are:

Austpost Airmail Parcel = No Tracking so not covered by Paypal.

3x Registered Post options = This option is no longer offered by Auspost, Registered means Signature. Also not covered by Paypal.

Sea Post = It should arrive any day now......!

Express or Courier = The best way by far to scare off your customers with high prices.

The closest option is the "Registered Post Padded 500g Bag" and to the USA the Ebay calculator will charge your purchaser $21.10 and when you go to post it Auspost will charge you $23.72.

Not only will this cost you money it is also a lie because the "Standard Postage" you send it by is not "Registered/Signature Postage". Oh you can add the Signature but that will cost you an extra $3 ๐Ÿ˜‰

So if your selling Internationally then you need to add a large handling fee to cover the difference or alternately stop selling Internationally until they fix it.

If enough people complain or stop selling Internationally they make fix this.......

Message 1 of 7
Latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Re: BEWARE!! Ebay International Post "Services" No Longer Match Auspost

allfixelectrical
Community Member

It has never matched what Aust Post offers.

If you choose registered airmail from the ebay options, then ebay will charge the standard airmail rate with signature on delivery added.

There is no way to my knowlege that you can select standard airmail as an option on it's own, but you can add it manually when you send an invoice if you don't have international postage options specified in the first place.

Message 2 of 7
Latest reply

You can just use the flat cost option, rather than calculated, as well. You just enter the cost and eBay will charge the exact amount you've entered. Postage discounts can still be applied (automatically or via invoice) and you can quote different prices to various countries. 

It means you'll have to manually update costs when there's an increase from Australia Post, but if you are opted into business policies, you only have to update the policy, rather than every listing that's using it. 

Message 3 of 7
Latest reply

This has been bugging me for months too, I messaged them the other day and their reply was

"The Registered Post option for international is the Standard option in AusPost with Signature and that is the reason why, the postage cost is higher. I understand that there could be postage differences, I suggest if possible that you can additional notes in your item description about international postage.This way the buyer will be aware about the additional cost of posting it internationally.

No worries, this has been raised to the Developer's Team and we're just waiting that any time soon it will be updated on the site to avoid incorrect charges for postage."

You'd think incorrect postage would be high on their fix list but then again, they charge 10% on postage so they are getting more money in fees while they fix it...

Message 4 of 7
Latest reply

I now charge $10 extra on all international orders, this covers the 10%  that ebay take on the postage for overseas, plus my time for filling out customs forms ( what a joke ) the confussion at the post office, as they dont know how to use the satchels, 

International Post is a joke in Australia ....

Message 5 of 7
Latest reply

Wow, an extra $10!

While I use Australia Post directly instead, the most I add is $1.60 to $2.50 depending on the country, to cover eBay's 10%.  I pre-fill in the forms in bulk at home while watching TV at night once every two weeks or so, so I just have to pretty much date them and stick them on over the coming days.  I send via Economy Air and have not had one go missing for a couple of years now.

While AP's prices indeed seem so high, I was given a wake up call recently after talking to several 3PL (third party logistics companies) who all said they could help me with better rates to send my posters overseas.  In the end, their rates couldn't even come close to what AP offers.

Message 6 of 7
Latest reply

Yes, my experience and sentiments exactly. For some reason parcels not tracked seem to go snail mail overseas which is not right as buyers pay enough, and Aust Post charges enough for them to be delivered in the time estimates they give. I have raised this with eBay customer support - whether this actually gets passed on, who knows. In themeantime I have had now had to adjust all my listings to include an $8 handling fee to cover tracked postage for international postage.

There are a multiude of post options for domestic postage in the listing manager but scant in the international even tho, as you point out, they are available over the counter at any Aust. Post outlet.

EBay needs to fix this - aftyer all smooth selling internationally results in better/more sales = more $ to eBay; plus less 'case resultions etc due to slow mail/missing items also = cost savings to eBay.

Time to smarten up the system eBay!

Message 7 of 7
Latest reply