Being charged high advertising fees by eBay

buff_gus
Community Member

Screenshot_2023-12-26-17-43-45-835_com.ebay.mobile.jpgHello everyone, recently I started selling on eBay and discovered that eBay charged me a 12.6% advertising fee, even though I didn't select any promotions beforehand. Additionally, when factoring in eBay's final value fee, it totals to 30% of my selling price. I find these fees quite high and I'm hesitant about continuing to sell under these circumstances. It's disheartening to know that even if I cancel an order, eBay still imposes advertising fees. I haven't linked my bank card yet, and I'm considering just leaving eBay and accepting the potential account closure if it minimizes losses. I would greatly appreciate your advice. ๐Ÿ˜”

Message 1 of 27
Latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

Re: Being charged high advertising fees by eBay

I would'nt want the debt collectors showing up on my doorstep

Is this not illegal in Australia unless it is done by the sheriff and needs to be above a certain dollar amount before getting to this point. 

Message 11 of 27
Latest reply

I looked it up and it says they can visit once a month between certain times and must leave if asked too and not on public holidays. 

Me I would just cancel the sale pay the add fees if they are due and move on. 

Message 12 of 27
Latest reply

@brickworksmarket wrote:

I would'nt want the debt collectors showing up on my doorstep

Is this not illegal in Australia unless it is done by the sheriff and needs to be above a certain dollar amount before getting to this point. 

At the door is figuratively speaking.  But even though they can.

You get on a bad credit rating list and you are cactus.   Also international student would need to consider any future visa implications.

Message 13 of 27
Latest reply

Ok

I would'nt want the sheriff turning up at my door

No mention of what days or how often

Better?

Since you looked it up,

Please give the link to the OP so they know where they stand and what their rights are

Please advise what the dollar amount is so the OP is aware

And what implications this means for their future is it were to happen

And how they can pay their ad fees when they do not have a means attached for doing so

As usual, quick to jump on posts from members you don't like but offering no factual advice/links/etc

Message 14 of 27
Latest reply

Sheriff only shows up for government related debt issues, not private debt issues, they just got to debt collectors.

Apart from potential visa issues, its under 150 so its too low to default, however its likely fees will be added if unpaid,

Message 15 of 27
Latest reply

If they are not signed up for managed payments how would they get the money for the laptop. Paying your fees are easy just use a debit or credit card and pay the outstanding amount. I would rather owe eBay a few hundred then have the money for the sale waiting for them to be signed up then for the delay for a new seller.

Message 16 of 27
Latest reply

If they are not signed up for Managed Payments, then they won't get any money.

It will be hanging in limbo until they do.

BTW , I see you haven't sold for a year or so - are you signed up for Managed Payments?

Message 17 of 27
Latest reply

It doesn't work like that. As a regular seller you would know this. If you are not a regular seller, maybe obtain some facts, rather than offering opinions as fact.

Message 18 of 27
Latest reply

Accurate information on how it works in real eBay world in 2023 

The Seller here needs correct information on how to deal with their stuff up

It's serious 

And, as requested, please give the OP the link to the information you said you looked up

Message 19 of 27
Latest reply

I just paid overdue fees using a debit card to eBay collections which give you a month and numerous emails and messages to pay. This is based on being signed up for managed payments but no longer having a linked bank account so paid manually with the provided link in my eBay account. Definately would not drag out any payments due as other or linked accounts to your name would be blocked like other selling platforms.

Message 20 of 27
Latest reply