Best course of action for a missing payment?

I sold an item on the 1st of Feb, the customer asked for my bank account details and how much extra it would cost to send the item via express post. I replied with the account details and the extra costing for the express freight. This was on the 4Th too, remember this bit... Giving the customer a total of the amount owing in the message. I then messaged the buyer asking if I sent the details through as I couldn't see my sent message to the buyer with the details. BUT, upon better looking I found it.

Its now the 8th, no payment and the buyer has said, politely, the payment was made on the 3rd and they payed $10 too much anyway. But they they hadn't. What they said they paid IS correct. Hmmm.

This is where it get interesting. As I'm typing this went back through the messages and the buyer could NOT have paid on the third as on the 4th I replied to them with the total amount with the extra cost for the express post.

So. Do I front the customer with this proof as I know they are A, lying, and trying to hold off payment for whatever reason or B just made a mistake.

Also they have marked the payment sent on the 4th too. So I am at a loss on what to do. I haven't sent the item, they will NOT get the item until its paid for. Do I file an unpaid dispute as well?

Thanks.

Message 1 of 15
Latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Give the buyer one more chance ask them for proof of payment from their side, this should be possible as from what you say the y made a bank transfer so they should have a copy of it in their back account.

It could be a bank error so don't blame the buyer just yet unless they can't come up with proof from their end. If they can't the choice is yours, you can either lodge a complaint or just let it go and re-list the Item.

You can please some of the people all of the time

All of the people some of the time

But you can't please all of the people all of the time.

Ebay Member since 2001
Message 2 of 15
Latest reply

The only thing I care about, well not really, is that I am charged the FVF. Negative feedback I'm not fussed about, I know I am in the right, I can relist the item too. So at this stage, I'm thinking to raise an unpaid dispute to to cover my end. But at the same time don't want to annoy the customer raising the dispute making them think I am being nasty.

Message 3 of 15
Latest reply

As bank transfers can take up to a week, I think opening a dispute now is a bit hasty. I'd go with bright-byte's suggestion.

"G'day, I can't find a record of payment at my end. Please forward the details of your payment so I can chase it up with my bank" should work. Helpful and non-threatening.

What you should have done in the first place was had your bank details in the listing, and sent a new invoice with the amended postage price so they could go through checkout.

Message 4 of 15
Latest reply

Don` relist until you have resolved the first sale, allow until at least Monday or Tuesday, if payment has not arrived, and you haven`t been able to sort it out with the buyer then open a dispute, once you close it 4 "full" days later you get your fees back and free to relist.

But first you should double check to make sure the details you gave them were correct, also ask the buyer to forward a copy of the payment advice, there is a chance they got it wrong.

I wouldn`t put too much emphasis on the dates of the messages, I have often had emails and messages showing dates before or after they were actually sent or received.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It is only with the heart one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
Message 5 of 15
Latest reply

I've been in a similar situation, customer kept saying they had made payment by bank transfer, then it had 'bounced back', made payment again... I never saw any payment from my end, however I never sent them any messages accusing them of lying about anything. During our communications, I just continued to very politely ask them to verify certain things (dates, account numbers the payment was sent to etc), and whether they could give me any other information that would help me make enquiries with my own bank as to what was causing the delay (they never did provide any details). 

But... I did only give them one second chance. After telling me payment had been sent again and a few days later no sign of it in my account, I sent them a very polite message explaining my position, told them I was still more than willing to help them resolve the payment issue in any way I could, but that in the mean time I had opened a UPI to finalise the transaction as I could not hold on to the item indefinitely (it had been two weeks since the sale at that stage). I never heard from them again.

Message 6 of 15
Latest reply

Thanks guys. At no time will I or be hasty toward the customer. Thats just not me. I will give them more time as I have plenty more in stock to sell. I know I gave the correct bank details as i double checked that. Reasoning to not adding my bank details on the listing is because I don't see the need. If they want to buy and pay via bank transfer? Then I'll give them the details. PLUS, I sent an invoice for the total it was after I did that they asked to have it sent Express and asked how much extra it was going to be. I don't like having my bank detail showing for everyone to see. I'd prefer to have PP only but it seems some people are still stuck in the old way.

You wont believe this. I am also selling a flywheel for a 4WD. A guy from Vietnam wants to buy it and for me to post it to him! I told him I wont send a 50kg solid steel item overseas but his Ingrish not too good and I don't think he understood me. LOL.

Message 7 of 15
Latest reply

All people can do with your bank account details is make malicious deposits.

Having your account details in one place also reduces the chances of a typo.

Message 8 of 15
Latest reply

You should not have replied to the Vietnamese buyer, it is almost certainly a scam.

I would ask them to forward you a copy of the bank lodgement advice as you cannot trace the payment and if they don't do so tell them you are opening an unpaid item dispute and they have X days to contact their bank and find out what has happened to the payment before you close the dispute.

If they don't provide proof or sort it out just close the dispute, they will receive a strike and you will get your FVF refunded. They won't be able to leave feedback although I am pleased you think the transaction is more important, some silly sellers will end up out of pocket just to try and avoid a neg.

There are some numpties out there who think they can drag it out so long that you are unable to open an unpaid item dispute and some numpty sellers who let them!

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 9 of 15
Latest reply

I have just sent a message kindly asking for the lodgement advise and said I would like to get this sorted before I have to claim an unpaid item dispute in a couple of days.

As for the Vietnamese buyer, I don't think it was a scam as they have 90 feedback, 100%, and they were buying a lot of items in Australia buy the looks of it. I put them on my block list anyhow...

Message 10 of 15
Latest reply