Big Changes to PayPal Protections Incoming

I guess this isn't going to be relevant for too much longer, at least within eBay, but my eybrows were raised significantly as I was reading through these points:

Amendments to the PayPal User Agreement (Effective 31 July 2020)

To review the updated PayPal User Agreement, please click here.

We are expanding our Seller Protection Policy to include digital goods, and further clarifying the terms and conditions with respect to the coverage of intangible items under our Seller Protection Policy.

We are clarifying that our Seller Protection Policy does not cover Unauthorised Transactions initiated in an environment not hosted by PayPal.

For “Significantly Not as Described” claims under our Seller Protection Policy, sellers may not receive the item back, or may be required to accept the item back and pay for the return shipping costs.

We are adding payments made in respect of gold (in physical form or in exchange-traded form) to the list of ineligible items and transactions under our Seller Protection Policy.

Items intended for resale, including single item transactions or transactions that include multiple items, are not eligible for reimbursement under our Buyer Protection Policy.

To be eligible for our Buyer Protection Policy, buyer must attempt to contact the seller to resolve their issue directly prior to filing a claim with PayPal.

We are also clarifying how in-person QR code transactions will be dealt with under our Buyer Protection Policy and Seller Protection Policy.

Message 1 of 38
Latest reply
37 REPLIES 37

Re: Big Changes to PayPal Protections Incoming

Bank deposit is not hosted by paypal....neither are money orders or cheques.

Message 21 of 38
Latest reply

My silliness ( or rather dumbosity ).

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

Cosmologically speaking we are all little more than a bacterial film on a soft rock hurtling through an unimaginable void.
Don't take it all too seriously.
Message 22 of 38
Latest reply

I think they're actually referring to payments where the buyer doesn't log into PayPal to pay. It's been a policy for a while but their wording is frequently ambiguous.
Message 23 of 38
Latest reply

ilce
Community Member

Well its worse that I thought. I had a long conversation with Paypal over the weekend.

Basically anything that isnt new and doesnt have a manufacrers warranty wont be covered under the new seller protection policy. 

The guy on the phone sounded like he had done his research. 

So it wont matter where you bought it from (ebay, Target, China) its all classed as re-sale if its not as described above.

Message 24 of 38
Latest reply

@ilce wrote:

Well its worse that I thought. I had a long conversation with Paypal over the weekend.

Basically anything that isnt new and doesnt have a manufacrers warranty wont be covered under the new seller protection policy. 

So it wont matter where you bought it from (ebay, Target, China) its all classed as re-sale if its not as described above.

Well that's a heck of a change! Smiley Indifferent

NEVERMIND ON TROUBLES!!! LET'S DO HOBBY!!!
Message 25 of 38
Latest reply

@tazzieterror wrote:

Well that's a heck of a change! Smiley Indifferent

I wonder if that proviso will be translated to Ayden when they switch over from Paypal tazzie ?

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 26 of 38
Latest reply

@ilce wrote:

I'm going to reserve judgement / reaction on that as it doesn't actually make any sense in context of the wording  for the new policy, which suggests it's aiming to exclude items intended for resale - it kinda sounds like whoever you spoke to at PayPal believes the policy excludes items that are being re-sold, which sounds similar but is actually a whole different kettle of fish. 

Message 27 of 38
Latest reply

How do you justify reselling ? You could just say he i need 10 cables for my work our house.
Message 28 of 38
Latest reply

@danieh_6 wrote:
How do you justify reselling ? 

That's the million dollar question - there are some instances where an item can only be purchased by businesses, eg wholesalers who will not sell to the general public. In those cases an assumption can be made the intention is to resell, but it won't always be correct, so I am very curious to find out (but hopefully not from personal experience Smiley Surprised Smiley LOL ) under which circumstances PayPal are going to apply this policy.

Whether the policy will be as I interpret it, or as the rep apparently explained it above, I'm also very curious as to what they intend to do with regards to the glaring loopholes they're about to create. 

Of course, they may just walk it back come July 31st - it's certainly the one new policy everyone is talking about, if they have anything to say about the policies at all, but TBH it wasn't the only one that got a eyebrow from me, though in fairness eBay sellers are accustomed to having to pay return postage or risk not getting their items back, so I understand why the introduction of that new policy didn't cause a blip here). 

Message 29 of 38
Latest reply

What I got out of it is Paypal want to eliminate any chance of actually paying out on the Seller Protections Policy.

They only want to cover retail sellers who in most cases will just use their own return policy or be covered under a waranty.

Message 30 of 38
Latest reply