Big Changes to PayPal Protections Incoming

I guess this isn't going to be relevant for too much longer, at least within eBay, but my eybrows were raised significantly as I was reading through these points:

Amendments to the PayPal User Agreement (Effective 31 July 2020)

To review the updated PayPal User Agreement, please click here.

We are expanding our Seller Protection Policy to include digital goods, and further clarifying the terms and conditions with respect to the coverage of intangible items under our Seller Protection Policy.

We are clarifying that our Seller Protection Policy does not cover Unauthorised Transactions initiated in an environment not hosted by PayPal.

For “Significantly Not as Described” claims under our Seller Protection Policy, sellers may not receive the item back, or may be required to accept the item back and pay for the return shipping costs.

We are adding payments made in respect of gold (in physical form or in exchange-traded form) to the list of ineligible items and transactions under our Seller Protection Policy.

Items intended for resale, including single item transactions or transactions that include multiple items, are not eligible for reimbursement under our Buyer Protection Policy.

To be eligible for our Buyer Protection Policy, buyer must attempt to contact the seller to resolve their issue directly prior to filing a claim with PayPal.

We are also clarifying how in-person QR code transactions will be dealt with under our Buyer Protection Policy and Seller Protection Policy.

Message 1 of 38
Latest reply
37 REPLIES 37

Re: Big Changes to PayPal Protections Incoming

WHAT!?!?

I pretty much ONLY sell second hand goods! (clothes, shoes etc). But I don't buy them using paypal. I buy them from local op shops. Are none of my items protected now??

And what's this about buyers now not having to return items in a "significantly not as described" case?? In my experience, 90% of buyers who change their mind or find the item doesn't fit and want a refund (when my ebay policy does not accept returns) use that dispute to get around it. So now what? They can do this AND get to keep the item???
Message 32 of 38
Latest reply

@twyngwyn wrote:
some clarification:

https://www.ecommercebytes.com/2020/07/03/paypal-clarifies-resale-policy-taking-effect-on-july-31/

This is clarification for anyone who misunderstood the policy in the first place, but unfortunately doesn't answer any of my questions (I've seen so many people under the impression somehow that it basically means all second hand items not only have no buyer protection anymore, but no seller protection either Smiley Frustrated ). 

I note this quote from PayPal in the linked article:

"The intent of this change is to ensure that the retail consumer continues to avail the PayPal Purchase Protection while the “business entities” buying their inventory and supplies do not abuse the purchase protection when their supplier relationships and agreements go sour."

This is nothing short of laughable, and a pretty damning testement to the protection policy in and of itself. It reads like an outright admission that the dispute process is unfair on sellers, and as such can be abused, so they are limiting the accessibility of that abuse to end-user consumers. Smiley LOL Wait..... Smiley Sad

Message 33 of 38
Latest reply

@kitty-kat-kollection wrote:
WHAT!?!?

I pretty much ONLY sell second hand goods! (clothes, shoes etc). But I don't buy them using paypal. I buy them from local op shops. Are none of my items protected now??

And what's this about buyers now not having to return items in a "significantly not as described" case?? In my experience, 90% of buyers who change their mind or find the item doesn't fit and want a refund (when my ebay policy does not accept returns) use that dispute to get around it. So now what? They can do this AND get to keep the item???

You won't be affected by the buyer protection change to the policy at all. 

Only people that purchase stock to re-sell using PayPal funds or echeque (i.e. with no CC protection as back-up) will be affected.

The new policy requiring sellers to pay for return postage or risk not getting their items back is basically the same as eBay's, so for most sellers here it's less new and more....more of the same. Smiley Indifferent

Message 34 of 38
Latest reply

this an absolute joke rofl, I've had to file disputes before against my old suppilers they were bad, luckily I have amazing ones now and I pay them deposit via bank transfer and pay full amount after good received

But PayPal's exchange rates suck though lol compared to banks
Message 35 of 38
Latest reply

Thank you digital*ghost!!
Message 36 of 38
Latest reply

So basically they are abandoning all "buyer protection" for previously used items (ie seconhand, collectables and antiques?)

Message 37 of 38
Latest reply

Thanks what the rep said to me though their official statement is confusing and ambiguous.
Message 38 of 38
Latest reply