Blocking 0 feedback & brand new accounts from bidding

Is it ethical to block bidders that have brand new zero feedback accounts?

I understand all buyers have to start at zero, but those that create accounts and immediately start asking stupid and unreasonable things, there the ones that I'm sometimes plagued by, depending on what I'm selling.

Message 1 of 10
Latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

This question has been asked before on the boards, and sellers have come back and said that buyers with plenty of feedback can be just as annoying as newbies.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 2 of 10
Latest reply

I dont worry about the FB scores, but they go on the list,  if they ask questions that indicate they are likely to be trouble.

Hi Padi

Message 3 of 10
Latest reply

G'day GP, too late to edit my post mate........

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 4 of 10
Latest reply

@greg.sid wrote:

Is it ethical to block bidders that have brand new zero feedback accounts?

If you mean a blanket ban across ebay, most probably not ethical. Imagine a person searching for an item they desperately want, finding it only on Ebay and then discover they are banned from bidding as they have no feedback. Would they consider the ban ethical?

However if  you mean a personal ban, it is your choice. Quite easy to ban categories of buyers. Just go site preferences, buyer management, and make your buyer requirements block choices there. Fair enough that some sellers need to be cautious.

Message 5 of 10
Latest reply

You used to be able to block low or 0 feedback buyers, but ebay has removed that option from the Buyer Requirements. It's been gone for several years now. I used it to stop guest accounts buying because I had had issues with them. That said, while I have very few issues with buyers, it seems to be the ones with lots of feedback that are the issue. The low or 0 feedback buyers pay instantly because they want to make a good impression. 

Message 6 of 10
Latest reply

I thought this

paperjack_1-1661394668791.png

could work? Maybe not, I've never tried it.

Message 7 of 10
Latest reply

I would be instantly blocking anyone who sent unreasonable requests/demands/messages no matter what their feedback score was 

Message 8 of 10
Latest reply

I've had loads of zero feedback buyers with no issues. I'm more inclined to block anyone who messages me with stupid questions, or if they are discourteous.

My items are Buy It Now anyway, so I don't have to worry about chasing anyone for funds, but the only other time I will block someone is if they have purchased from me and I see that they leave a lot of negative feedback. Then I go straight to cancellation and blocking.

Message 9 of 10
Latest reply

I don't know that I would block them because as you say, everyone has to start somewhere and if all sellers blocked them, then no one could ever get started. I don't know that it is a matter of ethics as such, you are entitled to feel uneasy.

What I would do (if I were still selling) is block anyone who asked an unreasonable thing e.g someone who made a very lowball offer when my ad didn't even have 'make an offer'. Or any question that made me feel they were going to be difficult. 

There are a couple of things you could do to try to lessen the problem. The first is make sure your ads are as clear as possible, with lots of photos. I haven't looked at your listings or anything, you might already be doing that, but just make sure there is no room for confusion.

The next thing is if a newbie buys, hold back on giving any feedback at all to them till after their 30 day period to make an ebay claim has expired or until they give you positive feedback, whichever comes first.

That way, if they prove to be a difficult customer, you're leaving them as a zero feedback buyer.

Message 10 of 10
Latest reply