Blocking a buyer...what can't they do?

For the first time, I had to block a buyer last night. They purchased some shoes from me, claimed they were not as described or photographed (I did not edit or obscure any part of my 12 photographs), so wanted a refund.

I respectfully declined and they lodged an ebay dispute. Fine. I wrote a further message, and they grew very angry, irrational and then at times incoherent, saying they would be laughed out of their office, that only a clown would wear them, etc. I said that I would no longer be engaging directly with them due to their manner.

They then threatened that "defamation" would be "coming your way" and accused me of calling them a liar (I had not), which I could only assume implied they were threatening negative feedback, which is extortion and not allowed. I wrote this to ebay.

Then they REALLY blew up, sent three messages (none of which I replied to), called me dim, dopey, stupid, thick in the head, said I could not understand English, said they never threatened me with negative feedback, but then said they WOULD be leaving negative feedback as my item was "**bleep**".

Then they said to go away. Then they said (I still had not sent any messages so they were basically talking to themselves by now) "sod off. Permanently."

In the meantime, I saw they had left negative feedback so I immediately went onto the live ebay chat, explained the situation, they read all the messages, including the latest one telling me to "F*** off" (I STILL hadn't said anything to her! lol) and said they would be closing the dispute in my favour and removing the negative feedback. Thank you!

This buyer is going to be FURIOUS, but they screwed themselves with their unacceptable behaviour. My messages were all professional.

Anyway, I blocked them, but does this mean they just can't buy from me again? Can they still message me? I hope not.

Am I able to request ebay remove the positive feedback I left for them before all this happened?
Message 1 of 56
Latest reply
55 REPLIES 55

Make sure you have the box ticked in buyer requirements:   

Don't allow blocked buyers to contact me.

also I wish you had not put the feedback reply that you have - it mentions ebay and there is every chance they won't now follow up on the deletion - make sure  you contact them again if it doesn't happen.

and no, the initial feedback you gave will not be deleted.
Message 2 of 56
Latest reply

Personally, I would also be blocking their email address in your emails (although they may of course have more than the email address they use for PayPal) and if you are both Facebook,block them there too

Message 4 of 56
Latest reply

Because you have a current transaction, it takes some time before the comms block comes into affect.

But just delete the messages don't answer anymore. (eBay can still access them even if you delete them)

Let us know how it turns out.

image host
Message 5 of 56
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

Why oh why did you leave the followup feedback?

I have a feeling ebay will not remove the origina feedback now.....they usually do it immediately if they are going to do it.

The followup makes you look very silly and lends weight to the buyer's original feedback.

Why keep coming here for advice if you are just going to blunder on anyway?

Message 6 of 56
Latest reply

Ugh, I just wanted people to know the feedback would be removed! That's the only reason I replied to it.

Ebay said once the dispute time has elapsed, they will close it in my favour and remove the feedback. This will (it WILL) happen on 1 May. I just wanted anyone who saw it to know in the meantime.

Thank you for your replies!
Message 7 of 56
Latest reply

@kitty-kat-kollection wrote:

Ebay said once the dispute time has elapsed, they will close it in my favour and remove the feedback. This will (it WILL) happen on 1 May. I just wanted anyone who saw it to know in the meantime.

Anecdotally, members who have left follow-up feedback on negs have found that eBay tend to be reluctant to remove the neg, even if they have said they would before the follow-up was left.

I guess you realise that nobody apart from yourself and the buyer can see the buyer's ID, so the feedback remarks are pretty much along the lines of "he said, she said"..........

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 8 of 56
Latest reply

Thank you. I will make sure ebay does remove it. I have the transcript of the live web chat to prove they said they would remove it.
Message 9 of 56
Latest reply

Just curious

How much time have you spent engaging the buyer mutiple times?

How much time have you spent engaging with eBay?

How much time have you spent posting on the boards?

How much more time will you spend making sure the neg is removed?

How much time will you spend worrying that the buyer may open a case with the Pal?

How much time will you spend worrying that buyer may be able to engage in malicious buying with a different ID or help from a friend?

How long would it take to type "Sorry to hear you are unhappy with your item.Please return for a full refund"?

I wonder if all this angst may have been avoided...it's a 20 buck item...not all transactions will go smoothly but can be easily handled if you take personal feelings out of the equation...jmo...works for me.

Message 10 of 56
Latest reply