Bought, paid then immediate cancellation request?

Here's a new one, after 15 or so years selling:

Buyer uses BIN. Pays with Paypal.

3 minutes later sends a cancellation request.

........why? It makes no sense. And it vexes me. I am sorely vexed.

Message 1 of 12
Latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Maybe realised they bought the wrong one.

Or said to wifey, hej I just bought a such n such, then wifey says I got one yesterday.

Could be many reasons. Just part of selling online.

image host
Message 2 of 12
Latest reply

We had one like that a couple of years ago.

Bought, paid, then asked to cancel with no reason given.

So we did, then blocked the buyer.

A couple of weeks later we got a message from the same buyer asking if the item was still available !!!!

Needless to say we didn't reply.

Sometimes you just have to shrug your shoulders and move on.

Message 3 of 12
Latest reply

It was not as much of a problem when ebay first introducd the rule as it is now that paypal do not refund the fees when the seller has to refund a payment.

I can well understand sellers being furious when buyers want to cancel immeditely for no good reason.

Message 5 of 12
Latest reply

If buyer politely ask me, I usually cancel the order and absorb the loss of paypal fees. I simply do not want to do the business with hard feelings.

But worried, if these cancellations are noted by eBay as my faults and affect my seller performance.
Message 6 of 12
Latest reply

@prime.gadgets wrote:
If buyer politely ask me, I usually cancel the order and absorb the loss of paypal fees. I simply do not want to do the business with hard feelings.

But worried, if these cancellations are noted by eBay as my faults and affect my seller performance.

Not if you select buyer requests cancellation.

image host
Message 7 of 12
Latest reply

I am not the least bit surprised, I've seen it all and heard it all. In my opinion some people don't know what they want from one minute to the next. I couldn't count the times I have been mucked around by people who want to buy one minute and not the next.

Message 8 of 12
Latest reply

You're not on your lonesome.

A few months back, a seller i know sold a pick up item & about 15 minutes later, a paypal claim was raised against the seller for item not received.

The seller rang paypal and asked them to look at the ad and when the claim was opened as even with postage it couldn't get there in 15 minutes, but the buyer won the case.

There are some strange people out there, for sure.

Message 9 of 12
Latest reply

I think this has happened to me twice in my 18 months of selling.

The 2nd time I responded to the buyer, actually asking (nicely) why they wanted to cancel. They replied, saying "Item too expense for me. Please cancel thank." (this was their exact wording).

Sigh.

What amuses me is why ebay even give you the option NOT to cancel it! So...you force an unwanted item on a buyer and then expect them NOT to lodge an item not as described case to get their money back?
Message 10 of 12
Latest reply