Bring goods into Australia from usa

hi guys hopefully someone can help me here. I am looking at bring a product line in from the USA in a small Qty. Has read up re prohibited goods etc and what we will be bring in is not effected by this. It been a few years since I brought product in from overseas and just checking something. Is it still total package goods value under $1000 still tax free besides GST and over $1000 that when the duty taxes kick in??? Or has this changed and if so what the new values??

Cheers
Message 1 of 6
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

You ae correct....under $1000 the GST is added when you pay the seller.

Over $1000 the GST and import charges are added at the border and have to be paid before the goods are released to you.

If you try to get round the rules and import several shipments of less than $1000 they 

will probably ping you and will add them all together to pay the import charges.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6
Latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

You ae correct....under $1000 the GST is added when you pay the seller.

Over $1000 the GST and import charges are added at the border and have to be paid before the goods are released to you.

If you try to get round the rules and import several shipments of less than $1000 they 

will probably ping you and will add them all together to pay the import charges.

Message 2 of 6
Latest reply

For orders under $1000, If the International seller or their shipping agent is required to collect and remit  GST to  the ATO, then they are entitled to charge you any price they like for the service, which is usually listed as duties.

Message 3 of 6
Latest reply

If you are purchasing and importing the product direct exclusive of any online portal, the sender must include 4 copies of an invoice declaring the value. Depending on your shipping method GST will be charged to you on arrival at portage and paid before release. There is no duty paid on 95% of goods.

If you are purchasing via a large online portal like eBay, Amazon, NewEgg etc. they will bill the GST to your purchase and remit the GST to the ATO on your behalf.

If you import small quantities of goods directly from China they will most probably arrive GST free as it's simply too hard and not worth the effort to collect GST due to the enormous volumes of goods.
Message 4 of 6
Latest reply

@silver-fox-bullion wrote:
hi guys hopefully someone can help me here. I am looking at bring a product line in from the USA in a small Qty. Has read up re prohibited goods etc and what we will be bring in is not effected by this. It been a few years since I brought product in from overseas and just checking something. Is it still total package goods value mycoles under $1000 still tax free besides GST and over $1000 that when the duty taxes kick in??? Or has this changed and if so what the new values??

Cheers

Remember:

On most products imported into Australiacustoms duty is 5% of the value of the goods converted to Australian dollars, but this is dependent on the type of goods. You will need to check with your freight forwarder or Home Affairs for the correct amount of customs duty.

Message 5 of 6
Latest reply

@fazecl-4364 wrote:

Remember:

On most products imported into Australiacustoms duty is 5% of the value of the goods converted to Australian dollars, but this is dependent on the type of goods. You will need to check with your freight forwarder or Home Affairs for the correct amount of customs duty.

Whilst that is true it is perhaps going to be confusing for some people as it only tells a part of the charges for the importation of goods into Australia.

Better to read the whole of the link below :-

https://www.wwcf.com.au/import-tax-import-duty-australia/

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 6 of 6
Latest reply