Buyer Dispute: Requesting Refund (do they have a case?)

I sold an old Apple laptop,  the buyer is saying the laptop "makes a noise" and that it was not in the description.  I dispute this, as the laptop was in top condition.  He requests a refund with me paying all shipment costs.  I also had no refunds, but he claims the "noise" is faulty.

I had a bad feeling about this buyer as he also witheld payment after purchase and had miniscule questions.

Should I just have him open a refund/dispute and go through ebay?   I have a 100% positive rating and this is the first issue I've ever had.

Message 1 of 20
Latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

Re: Buyer Dispute: Requesting Refund (do they have a case?)

maybe you could bribe the guy, tell him if he returns the laptop you will refund the full cost plus say $50 for his trouble once you get it back.

better to be out $50 than $500

Message 11 of 20
Latest reply

@samantha8538 wrote:

i agree, but i dont think i will win.  He was quite odd to begin with, so I think im going to get scammed...with over $500 down the drain.  I'm pretty peeved, I think i;ll get a case opened and see what happend.

If you open the case yourself you run the very real risk of eBay finding in the buyer's favour and you'll lose your money and the laptop.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 12 of 20
Latest reply

@padi*0409 wrote:

@samantha8538 wrote:

i agree, but i dont think i will win.  He was quite odd to begin with, so I think im going to get scammed...with over $500 down the drain.  I'm pretty peeved, I think i;ll get a case opened and see what happend.

If you open the case yourself you run the very real risk of eBay finding in the buyer's favour and you'll lose your money and the laptop.

I have already warned of that Padi.

Not much else we can do if warnings are not heeded.

Message 13 of 20
Latest reply

@lyndal1838 wrote:

I have already warned of that Padi.

Not much else we can do if warnings are not heeded.

Yes I knew that lyndal, but thought I'd reinforce it anyway.

Message 14 of 20
Latest reply

@padi*0409 wrote:

@samantha8538 wrote:

I read that as get the buyer to open the case. Not he himself as the seller, open any case. What case could he open as the seller anyway?

If the OP is prepared to accept a return request and fund the tracked return postage (before any escalation) and then refund once he gets his laptop back in original condition, then I can't see it being too much of a problem for him other than he loses postage both ways of course. Doing it this way forces the buyer to record the case on his buying account. Something he might be reticent to do to get his refund if he is indeed a serial scammer.

Or am I perhaps missing something in this??

Message 15 of 20
Latest reply

I think you're correct in your assumption clarry that the OP wants the buyer to open a case, I hope so anyway.

Brain probably not connected earlier..................................

Message 16 of 20
Latest reply

Yes,  I have read the comments.  And thank you for your advice.  I am not opening a refund, the buyer will need to if they believe there is an issue, which is what I understand most of you are saying.

Message 17 of 20
Latest reply

welcome to my world. Iv just had 2 similar cases. Basically you have to give 30 days guarantee for vintage gear that may fail at any time and is subject to misuse or parts swapping. This is no place to sell this type of gear

Message 18 of 20
Latest reply

My response would be to tell them if they return it you will have it checked over by Apple and if it is a fault that could not have been caused by the buyer using it wrongly you will be happy to refund in full including postage both ways however if Apple find it has been opened and tampered with misused in any way then you will return it to them on receipt of the cost of postage.

If they are out to scam you this will let them know you are not going to be a pushover so they may back off.

If they continue and return it either off their own bat or through an ebay dispute and you think it has been tamperred with let them know you are having it inspected and should it have been opened up or any work done on it so it is not in the condition it was sent in you will be opening an enquiry through ACORN.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 19 of 20
Latest reply

How/why would any eBay ruling for a faulty item cost you the item and the money? I don't get it.

If the buyer puts in a claim and the seller pays return postage it's as simple as that isn't it?

Would it not be better to encourage the buyer to return it without opening a case then you can opt to refund item cost and original postage only rather than return cost too (esp if you're sure nothing is wrong).
Message 20 of 20
Latest reply