Buyer Gave Neg Unfairly

Buyer bought a puzzle from me. It's securely wrapped and put in a large envelope to keep the postage down.

So there is NO tracking unless the buyer wants to pay for a "signature", which they don't for low cost items.

I always take photos while at the post office of the buyers address and AP postage imprint.

Buyer emailed me she never got it. I sent her the photo showing it was sent and to check with the post office.

She said it was my fault as there was no tracking. That wouldn't have helped anyway as we all know. I explained why.

I said I was sorry but I'm not responsible and will not give a refund. After all, I have NO proof that she did not get it and simply wanted the money back. We all know there are some buyers like that.

So she's given me neg feedback unfairly. It's the first one I've gotten and I have over 1500 feedbacks.

How do I reply to her negative feedback to tell the truth about what happened ??

Pam

Message 1 of 86
Latest reply
85 REPLIES 85

Re: Buyer Gave Neg Unfairly

@crikey*mate wrote:

DangerWillRobinson.jpg

I'll second that, but I did want to mention a couple of things in general...

@21ladyluck wrote:

If I have proof I sent it, why do you expect me to refund the money??

Most buyers do not consider themselves responsible for the safe delivery of the items they purchase and will hold the seller responsible regardless of SOD, registered and PayPal. It is pretty much the general expectation that a buyer is entitled to their money back if they didn't receive an item (even though it's by no means as simple as that in reality), but what is fact, is that is the climate of eBay and something that needs to be taken into consideration when you sell here, IMO, because it's very unlikely to change. 

Just as an aside...

If the buyer paid by PayPal, that's all they need for Buyer Protection.

That's potentially a contentious statement. Smiley Tongue If a seller has proof of postage, the buyer is not eligible for Buyer Protection - because a buyer is not (legally) entitled to a refund just because they didn't get the item.

But...SOD and registered are not they only methods for proving postage, and there are a number of methods for proving postage that are both cost efiicient and don't carry any compensation. 

So, the interesting thing is, a buyer has (effectively) more protection (via PayPal) if the seller doesn't use SOD or registered, but they have more rights (via all payment methods) if they request and pay for services which provide cover. 

I try to treat people as I want to be treated. I do NOT do it because I'm afraid of the feedback. I do it because it's the ethical thing to do.

As a seller, when I make business decisions, they're based on two things - what is best for my customer, and what is best for my business - with that in mind, I post the majority of my items as unregistered letters and provide a refund or replacement to the buyer for items that don't arrive. 

Message 11 of 86
Latest reply

@ OP

If I was the post office staff I'd chuck you out!!

taking photographs!! the queues are long enough with out  wallys taking photos

do it properly and stop mucking about

Message 12 of 86
Latest reply

With the short time that buyer has been a member and with the number of non positive feedback they have left in that time I would be contacting ebay and asking them to investigate this buyer. As part of their new policy to protect sellers they are now looking at buyers who leave a lot of non positive feedback.

For future reference, if a buyer claims item not received the first thing to do is to ring Australia Post and ask them to lodge an investigation and advise the buyer this is what you are doing.

Whether or not this buyer is being honest is hard to say based on the number of missing parcels they appear to have had but there is no doubt that at times parcels do get lost. If a parcel is genuinely lost you need to put yourself in the shoes of the buyer and wonder how you would feel if you haven't received something you had paid good money for.

Another thing to do is to offer a refund on condition the buyer provides a stat dec stating they didn't receive the parcel - this generally weeds out the honest ones from the dishonest ones if you are in doubt about the buyer being truthful.

Message 13 of 86
Latest reply

This buyer does seem suss but that's why you need to make sure u have more than just a photo for proof. I guess u need to way up charging more postage, replacing missing items and the cost of tracking.
Most of my packages have been send with no tracking and over the years two has gone missing and one with tracking also got lost. Since a number of sellers didn't use registered post when I paid for it and I am covered by PayPal I only pay what I need to.
I do think if u take the chance u need to be responsible for the product being lost in the end.
When life gives you lemons.
Squeeze them into people's eyes
Message 14 of 86
Latest reply

You have no proof you sent anything, you have proof you paid for postage but I know that my PO often give me letters back after stamping them as the box outside is going to be emptied before a pick up is made from the PO.

Unless you register a letter and it shows as delivered why in the world would you not just refund without question if the buyer says they have not received their item?

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 15 of 86
Latest reply

@phorum_junkie* wrote:

You have no proof you sent anything, you have proof you paid for postage but I know that my PO often give me letters back after stamping them as the box outside is going to be emptied before a pick up is made from the PO.

omg-smiley-face.gif

How can any buyer have confidence in sellers with statements like these PJ - I am sure that you must have meant something different than it sounds - as has happened once before ?

PO returning lodged post articles outside of correct process to do so is just not on - ever. I think Australia Post made that clear the last time you posted something like this. 

Message 16 of 86
Latest reply

oh Cats....with the risk of being SHOT DOWN IN FLAMES by the 'clique'  -  the name PJ ( forum junkie) suggests that advice comes thick and fast and sometimes with not too much tact. I have one or two like minded friends who snap to attention and barrel forth advice - be it gentle/helpful or right in your face ........( blah, blah,blah -  do this/that/the other -  no problem - thats what I do......) ....there is always some advice given that will fly in the face of all reason. ( I have been celebrating the ongoing life of my hubby tonight so my mind is a little warped) - but I recall seeing a post from PJ stating that she has taken parcels to the PO and then popped them into the outside boxes with exactly the same result as a parcel posted with no proof - for the life of me I don't understand why.

It would be fabulous if all ebay sellers/buyers participated in the basic  ( s*#t - I can't think of the wording but it's something like do as you would like others to treat you)

Sellers should always be responsible for delivery of items ( even if it means paying that little bit extra for registering for items over a certain value) 

catspjs - I like your style and to anyone else - bring it on I say - as tonight , in my mindframe - I can take on the best........LOLOLOLOL

Message 17 of 86
Latest reply

@21ladyluck wrote:

How about buyers taking some responsibility?

When I buy something I know if I don't pay for insurance, I'm taking a risk. And YES I have had things go missing. It's part of having something sent through the mail.

Yes, I have sent replacements because something went wrong and I wanted to make it right. I have even given away items because I've felt bad over something that got messed up that wasn't anyone's fault.

I try to treat people as I want to be treated. I do NOT do it because I'm afraid of the feedback. I do it because it's the ethical thing to do.

I would not have the kind of feedback I have if I didn't bend over backwards for people. I enjoy helping people when I can.

BUT I will NEVER ever give in to a scam or threat just to keep that feedback. If she had been nice we might have worked something out.

Pam

It was $9.85!!   It didn't cost you $9.85.  That's how much  she paid you.  Being stubborn cost you a neg

There.s a lesson to be learnt regardless of buyers history.  If you didn.t like her attitude, refund her and then block her.   Then you never have to deal with her again

Message 18 of 86
Latest reply

@crikey*mate wrote:

"I always take photos while at the post office of the buyers address and AP postage imprint."

This does not prove that you lodged or posted the item. It proves that you photographed the item whilst at the Post Office. It does not prove that you left the item there and handed it over to Aus Post for delivery.

For proof, you need a tracking number, you then need to ensure that the parcel's tracking number is scanned into Aus Post's system, i.e. "lodged" (it's not enough to just toss it into a post box as it may get lost/stolen before it is scanned)

Paypal do accept a broader range of proof of post than a tracking number.

A photo at the PO of envelope with a post office post mark addressed to the buyer may or may not suffice as proof.  A mail register with post office stamp may also suffice.  It is a matter for paypal to determine according to their proof of lodgement and proof of addressee requirement. 

Whilst tracking numbers assists for proof of lodgement purpose you do not have to have a product that comes with tracking to prove lodgement ie. registered post letters and parcels that are not scanned at lodgement, but you have a stamped lodgement slip.

Message 19 of 86
Latest reply

Also, if I might add, you can purchase pre-paid registered envelopes that you tear off the slip and retain

the tracking number and they can be posted in an ordinary mail box.  You don't even have to take them to the PO

Message 20 of 86
Latest reply