Buyer being forced to pay immediately on purchase even though I do NOT have this on my listings.

There appears to be a random glitch with my listings in which potential buyers are unable to use 'buy it now' on mutliples of my listings and then wait for a revised invoice with combined postage. I have had 2 people contact me over the last few days wanting to purchase goods but are being directed to make immediate payment on each individual item.

I do not have immedate payment selected on any of my listings. I do not have immediate payment selected in my selling preferences.

How do I resolve this? I have lost a good size sale last week because of this error, and in the past when it has happened have had to fiddle around with refunds for the excess postage which buyers were forced to pay in order to secure the goods.

Message 1 of 16
Latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Buyer being forced to pay immediately on purchase even though I do NOT have this on my listings.

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

It is no random glitch unfortunately....ebay is forcing the option on sellers whether they like it or not and without consulting them.

Have you checked recently whether the options have been ticked by ebay on your listings.

Message 2 of 16
Latest reply

Ebay started rolling out immediate payment over a year ago for ALL sellers. It took them at least six months before I was opted in and it sounds like you've been added as well.

I have a note in my description telling them that ebay now requires immediate payment but I'll refund any excess. It costs me extra in fees on postage but I've learnt to live with it.

If a person really doesn't want to pay the excess postage, tell them you'll set up a special listing with all the items they want in it and correct postage on it..
Message 3 of 16
Latest reply

Maybe the problem is at the BUYER'S end......they may have 'automatic payment' set up.

Here's the steps about removing the automatic payment checkout:

1.Go to My eBay.

2.Click Account

3.Select Personal Information

4.Scroll down to Financial Information

5.Click Remove on the right side of Checkout saved payment methods.
Message 4 of 16
Latest reply

What eBay is doing is ridiculous. They are shooting themselves in the foot with this. 

I often have local pick up items and over the years have never had any problems with the process, but since they've made the changes to the payment structure, I have had 6 customers in the last 2 months who have purchased & paid for pick up items, despite living interstate! It's been a nightmare trying to explain to each one that eBay doesn't have a mechanism which allows for me to send them an invoice with the postage costs after they've already made the payment.

I'm ready to leave. eBay is so unintuitive & archaic & they just keep making it harder & harder for everyone.

Message 5 of 16
Latest reply

Its not only the pay immediatly problem that Ebay are doig with listings.I am getting Good till Cancelled on my listing and Make An Offer..at half the price I listed .

I am continually checking

and changing my listings .Then Ebay changes them right back,

Obviously Ebay dont care and are doing what they like with our listings.

Message 6 of 16
Latest reply

There may be still a workaround but you need to offer Bank deposit as a payment method along with Paypal and ask buyers who wants multiple items from a seller with combined postage to use Bank deposit only. Then after a buyer clicks buy it now for all items they want you can go to your sale manager and send them revised invoice.

Not sure though how they can pay updated invoice with Paypal after that but you can always send them a money request and once payment is received mark all items as paid through paypal.

However be careful as just about 4 days ago I opened my selling manager to update a customer invoice and I could not find "send invoice" function in ebay new functionality. I had to switch back to a previous version of Selling manager to do it.

It is not that eBay have removed "Send Invoice" from their menu. They have also removed "Cancel order" option.

Sometime doing multiple items through eBay shopping cart and then requesting total works on a byers side also works with combining postage and providing discounts but most of the time I used it myself I heard a lot of unreal excuses from ebay reps when ebay just disables this option in shopping cart and their reps just making things up on the phone trying to explain why.
Decoroo - Custom made wooden products
Message 7 of 16
Latest reply

Adding bank deposit doesn't stop the forced immediate payment. I tried it and buyers were still forced to pay immediately. If they are on a computer, adding items to the cart and then requesting an invoice works sometimes. It doesn't work if they are using the app.

I believe this is eBay's way of forcing everyone to sell with "free" postage. If listings are free postage, then there are no excesses being paid, so no problem. 

It is also a money spinner for eBay because most people aren't going to ring up to get a fee refund of a dollar or 2. While us paying a dollar or 2 in fees that we don't claim back doesn't sound much, if a million people don't claim it back, it soon adds up.

Message 8 of 16
Latest reply

If a buyer selects bank deposit at checkout you can send an invoice but then the buyer is forced to use bank deposit because there's no way to send them a paypal invoice.  I had one select bank deposit because they thought that'd allow them to request an invoice for paypal.

Also, on the rare occasion that a buyer can request an invoice using the cart, once you've sent the invoice you can't send a revised invoice like you used to be able to.

Message 9 of 16
Latest reply

It's happening again! GRRRRRRRR!

I am also finding that sometimes when I create a listing using 'sell similar', the best offer option has been automatically selected by ebay on my behalf when I do not want this most of the time. I really need to carefully check my listings before making them live lately.

Why so may glitches?! Or are they really glitches? Feels so dodgy.

Message 10 of 16
Latest reply