Buyer bought by mistake, do I get a strike if I cancel it?

I'm so confused with this new system.  I have refunded buyers for overpaid postage when they didn't wait for a combined invoice and it seems I have strikes or defects or some such because of that. Some rubbish about being out of stock it says.

Now I have a buyer who says she got confused and bought by mistake.   What happens if I cancel the transaction?

Do I get a strike for that?

Message 1 of 7
Latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Re: Buyer bought by mistake, do I get a strike if I cancel it?

if your buyer purchased by mistake, open a dispute to cancel the transaction & if the buyer agrees, no one gets a strike & your fvf should be refunded so you can relist or sell to the 2nd highest bidder.

As you open the dispute there are boxes to choose from.
you pick I sold an item
then that they buyer & yourself agree to cancel the transaction.

ebay then contacts the buyer who responds & so long as they agree to cancel the transaction it is finished with & you can relist.
Message 2 of 7
Latest reply

Thanks for your reply.  I know that is what used to happen.  I just didn't know anymore if it still happens that way.

Message 3 of 7
Latest reply

If you choose the option - buyer changed mind or purchased in error -  when opening a mutual cancellation then it it not supposed to show as a defect under the new system.

Message 4 of 7
Latest reply

Unfortunately it will show as a defect though as it happened to me recently. Buyer purchased and paid for something at 7am, by 9am he changed his mind and wanted a refund, by 9:15 he had filed an item not received dispute with paypal (its ridiculous paypal even lets them do this so quickly). All this happened before I even woke up, sent buyer mutual cancellation at their request and chose buyer changed mind or purchased in error as a reason, they agreed and I refunded their payment all within 3 hours of the purchase. Now I have a defect for item not received dispute for this transaction and ebay have not even bothered to reply to my emails when I enquire about it.

Seems like ebay is discouraging sellers to provide a positive buyer experience, next time I might have to consider just sending the item and having the dispute removed when I provide proof of delivery so I dont get punished for fulfilling customers requests.

Message 5 of 7
Latest reply

Wondering why you would risk losing a fvf refund by trusting some numpty who cannot purchase the correct item to tick the right box to agree to the mutual cancellation.

The only reasons why I would offer a mutual cancellation instead of giving them the strike they deserve is if I have made a mistake, the buyer is a regular or another member of the family provides a copy of the death certificate.

How can you know that they have not done this multiple times and stuffed around a lot of sellers, please do us all a favour and open an unpaid item strike.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 6 of 7
Latest reply

was that comment in response to mine junkie?  As the buyer had paid for the item filing an unpaid item dispute was not really an option.

Message 7 of 7
Latest reply