Buyer claiming item is not genuine leather

I sold a genuine leather belt which I purchased from a reputable online store for a relatives birthday gift.  Unfortunately found out it was too small when he tried it on, but too long outside the returns policy to return it. Decided to list it on eBay.  Sold it last month.  

Buyer has just messaged me saying it is a cheap nasty vinyl fake. I replied that it was genuine leather etc as per the above.

not sure where I stand if I get sent back a cheap vinyl belt.  I’ve told him if it is to be returned, all tags must be attached and it must be in the condition it was sent/received as per eBay returns policy.

the first pic is of the actual belt I sold. The other pics are from the website I purchased it at.  Clearly it shows the belt is genuine leather to me (IMHO) and I know it was genuine leather.

buyer said he would do a burn test on it which I don’t agree with.  But if I have to accept it as a return (he hasn’t opened a claim at this point, but I can see one coming and feel he is going to send me back a cheap vinyl belt) not sure where I stand if I get back an item different to what was sent.

IMG_2024-01-15-233403.pngIMG_6655.jpegIMG_6654.jpegIMG_6653.png

Message 1 of 8
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Buyer claiming item is not genuine leather

If you bought online, go back to that site and look at your purchases. Most sites will have a record unless you purchased as a guest.

Take a screenshot, send it to this buyer.

You could also show him the photos you showed us, plus the Thomas Cook website itself shows it to be leather.

I personally would not be suggesting he return it. Your ad said no returns. I know that doesn't cover faulty items but this item is not faulty and is not fake, by the sounds of it.

He may open an ebay claim, in which case you may have no choice but to accept a return but till that day, I would be countering with photos and site links to show it is in fact genuine.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 8
Latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Hard to say from pictures if it is legit or not.

But just because the person who sold it to you says it genuine,  doesn't mean it is.   

Message 2 of 8
Latest reply

If you bought online, go back to that site and look at your purchases. Most sites will have a record unless you purchased as a guest.

Take a screenshot, send it to this buyer.

You could also show him the photos you showed us, plus the Thomas Cook website itself shows it to be leather.

I personally would not be suggesting he return it. Your ad said no returns. I know that doesn't cover faulty items but this item is not faulty and is not fake, by the sounds of it.

He may open an ebay claim, in which case you may have no choice but to accept a return but till that day, I would be countering with photos and site links to show it is in fact genuine.

Message 3 of 8
Latest reply

The photo you have shown - shows nothing at all.

Surely you took pics of the stamping inside the belt.??

Message 4 of 8
Latest reply

@springyzone wrote:

I don't think going to the website will help,   I looked at heaps of Gucci handbags,  all claiming to be original and all matching the website.  I can assure you they were not original.    

It is very possible they were sold a fake and just onsold the fake.

Message 5 of 8
Latest reply

....but, that 1st pic wasn't in the listing?? Did you only use stock photos?

Message 6 of 8
Latest reply

All good. He messaged me today apologising and that it is in deed genuine leather.

Message 7 of 8
Latest reply

@sugar249 wrote:

@springyzone wrote:

I don't think going to the website will help,   I looked at heaps of Gucci handbags,  all claiming to be original and all matching the website.  I can assure you they were not original.    

It is very possible they were sold a fake and just onsold the fake.

Yes, I can imagine that is a very possible scenario in a lot of cases,  & I actually wondered that too, but I looked up the Stable Door website before I posted (plus the Thomas Cook website). The stable door appears to be a company with a number of real stores here in country Vic and seems to be an accredited seller of many different well known brands. I can't see them selling fakes and getting away with it. Not for too long, anyway.

If the sale had been from some random warehouse, I'd be much more suspicious.

Designers n more seems to have used mainly stock photos in his own ad & I must admit, I was looking for a photo of the inside off the belt that might say "leather" but obviously these belts don't have it at all.  It says leather  in the drop down menu at both stores, when looking at details about the material.

I would probably buy from the stable door too as their price is currently discounted $5 plus their postage cost is a couple of dollars cheaper.

To me, the company Thomas Cook would do better to stamp their belts with the word 'leather' as it takes away any confusion and looks better if you're giving something as a gift.

Message 8 of 8
Latest reply